Improve development workflow

Jan Jansen

Aug 31, 2019, 8:24:03 AM8/31/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hello

My thoughts to improve the development workflow in the near future.

Ideas:

Any other ideas? Any thoughts?

Greetings,
Jan

Oleksandr Porunov

Aug 31, 2019, 3:41:11 PM8/31/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Jan,

Good suggestions! Agree with all notes but have some questions on 2 notes.

> Use dependabot to upgrade deps

I didn't use this bot. Could this cause some problems? Like breaking changes or something like that?

> Use newer JAVA version for example JAVA 12, this allows to newer language features

Will it force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12? It isn't that simple task and would be a big breaking change I think.

Best regards,
Oleksandr

Jan Jansen

Sep 1, 2019, 4:18:21 AM9/1/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Oleksandr,

> I didn't use this bot. Could this cause some problems? Like breaking changes or something like that?

The bot will create a PR on our repo. So, we can review the changes and merge it by our own.

> Will it force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12? It isn't that simple task and would be a big breaking change I think.

It will force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12.
It is a simple task but to achieve advantage, we have to use some of the new language features.

Greetings,
Jan

Oleksandr Porunov

Sep 1, 2019, 4:54:31 AM9/1/19
to JanusGraph developers
> It will force all JanusGraph users to switch to Java 12.
> It is a simple task but to achieve advantage, we have to use some of the new language features.

I don't imagine users easily switch to Java 12. Switching from Java 8 to Java 12 in big projects is very hard.
Imagine you are using Spring Boot framework version 1.5 in your application which don't support Java version > then 8. Imagine the project uses JanusGraph libs directly (which requires Java 12). To use Spring Boot with version which supports Java 12 we should upgrade Spring Boot to version 2.2. But the problem is that this version isn't released right now. So, if we require Java 12 to use JanusGraph it means that JanusGraph libraries will be incompatible with Spring Boot libraries.
It is just an example but there are a lot of libs which don't support Java 12 yet.

Maybe I am missing something but using Java 12 for JanusGraph may throw away many users because a lot of them are using some libs which are incompatible with Java 12.

Of course we should upgrade Java version sooner or later but I think we should investigate it before upgrading.

Jan Jansen

Sep 1, 2019, 8:43:10 AM9/1/19
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
I worked on a pr to extract driver specific features from JanusGraph, so users won’t  have to directly interact with internal JanusGraph. In this case we can provide driver which is java 8 compatible. Than we can freely decide on which java version our database supports.

Other idea would be to use Kotlin for a more modern language features which is completely compatible with java 8.

Jan Jansen

Sep 11, 2019, 8:06:27 AM9/11/19
to JanusGraph developers
Improving Issue templates would be also great, for example, https://github.com/elastic/beats/issues/new/choose.

We can add templates for question, bugs, flaky test, and features.

In the bug and question, we can ensure better that user checkout our user groups.

Niklas Schiffler

Sep 16, 2019, 1:01:34 PM9/16/19
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com

Users don't have to, but many already do and would be blocked from upgrading. If you at some point decide to switch to a newer Java version as requirement, it would be preferable to use an LTS version (not 12).

nik..