[DISCUSS] 0.4.0 version and 0.2 EOL

Florian Hockmann

Jan 29, 2019, 5:40:55 AM1/29/19
to JanusGraph developers
There are currently two issues that we probably want to include in a release soon:
  • Upgrade to TinkerPop 3.4.0 (#1364)
  • Upgrade Cassandra to 2.2 (#1398)
These two issues are too big in my opinion to be included in a patch release release like 0.3.2. So, I suggest that we create a 0.3 branch and then use master for an upcoming 0.4.0 release.

Another question is whether we want to continue supporting the 0.2 branch. Considering that we already decided in 2017 that 0.2 should only get critical bug fixes from that point on, I suggest that we don't support the 0.2 branch any more after the next release (0.2.3).

Any thoughts on either of these issues? Any good reason for continued support of 0.2?

Oleksandr Porunov

Jan 29, 2019, 8:20:32 AM1/29/19
to JanusGraph developers
I think that it will be too much pain to support more than 2 branches right now. I also think that 0.2.3 release should be the last one in the 0.2 branch and then we can support 0.3 and 0.4 versions.

Jerry He

Jan 29, 2019, 3:10:24 PM1/29/19
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
+1 on EOL on 0.2 soon and branch off 0.3 from master.

Jerry

Jan Jansen

Feb 2, 2019, 5:06:37 AM2/2/19
to JanusGraph developers
For upgrade of Cassandra, Cassandra support of 2.1 is downgrade to only patch critical things https://cassandra.apache.org/download/.

There are currently multiple different backend which have support for multiple versions of their versions. So, I suggest that we remove all code and test from backend versions which are end of life (EOL).

For hadoop, bigtable and hbase, i was unable to find which versions are support.

Florian Hockmann

Feb 6, 2019, 4:13:47 AM2/6/19
to JanusGraph developers
Looks like we have a consensus here on creating a 0.3 branch and ending support of the 0.2 branch after the next release.

Assuming no objections come in until then, I will create the 0.3 branch after the JUnit 5 upgrade PR is merged. If someone prefers a formal VOTE thread, then just say so and I will start one.

@Jan: I agree that we should not support backend versions that already hit EOL, but we should discuss that in a separate thread.

Chris Hupman

Feb 7, 2019, 12:02:06 PM2/7/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hey @Florian,

I merged the junit 5 upgrade PR this morning. I don't think we need a vote thread on creating a 0.3 branch. I know Jason has mentioned in some PRs that it probably should have already been created.

Separately should we start up a thread for tracking what we want to go into the 0.3.2 and 0.2.3 releases?

Florian Hockmann

Feb 8, 2019, 4:36:42 AM2/8/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hey Chris,

then I will create the 0.3 branch today.

Separately should we start up a thread for tracking what we want to go into the 0.3.2 and 0.2.3 releases?

Good idea as some PRs might need to be rebased, but didn't you mean 0.3.2 and 0.4.0 releases? For the 0.2.3 release, I think we should just leave it as is right now in the 0.2 branch and then close it after the 0.2.3 release. Since we already decided in 2017 that it should only get critical bug fixes, there shouldn't be anything new that needs to get into this branch by now in my opinion.
Even for the 0.3 branch, we need to decide whether it should get new features once we have a 0.4.0 release or only bug fixes, but we can discuss these aspects in a separate thread. Since we didn't really follow the decision to only apply critical bug fixes to the 0.2 branch, we probably need to discuss first in general how we want to handle this from now on for our release branches.

Florian Hockmann

Feb 8, 2019, 6:14:19 AM2/8/19
to JanusGraph developers