[DISCUSS] Automated DCO enforcement via bot

Misha Brukman

Sep 22, 2018, 9:47:44 PM9/22/18
to JanusGraph developer list
Hi all,

Right now, the only bot-automated enforcement is the CLA signature, but not the Developer Certificate of Origin, which is a requirement of The Linux Foundation. This is a bit of a pain to do manually, and I haven't had time to add it to the CLA verification tool we're using.

I noticed some CNCF repos are using this bot:
to do the enforcement automatically, and I (inadvertently) tested it as I didn't realize one of the repos had a DCO requirement, and it worked flawlessly!

What are your thoughts on adding it to the JanusGraph repos? This means it'll be a blocker to PR submission, just like failing Travis CI.

This should have no functional change, since everyone should be signing those commits already; this will just enforce it automatically so it doesn't have to be checked by a human.

Misha

Jason Plurad

Sep 23, 2018, 7:56:04 AM9/23/18
to JanusGraph developers
Are both the CLA and DCO required for Linux Foundation contributors? It'd be a lot easier if we only needed one or the other.

Misha Brukman

Sep 23, 2018, 4:55:11 PM9/23/18
to JanusGraph developer list
The policy is encoded in the JanusGraph project charter; see section 8 "Intellectual property policy", part (b):
  • paragraph (i) requires a CLA
  • paragraph (ii) requires DCO sign-off in addition to the CLA

Florian Hockmann

Oct 1, 2018, 8:44:19 AM10/1/18
to JanusGraph developers
+1 on using the bot for these checks.

Chris Hupman

Jan 24, 2019, 12:46:15 PM1/24/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1 As someone who sometimes forgets to sign his commits I fully support bot checking.

Florian Hockmann

Mar 1, 2019, 7:40:04 AM3/1/19
to JanusGraph developers
We now have the DCO bot activated. This pull request that was submitted today already contains a successful check. So, it looks like we don't have to manually check every commit manually any more to ensure that it is signed and contributors get quicker feedback if they didn't sign their commit.
Thanks to Jason who took care of this and activated the DCO bot!

Chris Hupman

Mar 1, 2019, 12:26:43 PM3/1/19
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thanks Jason and Florian for getting this added.