cassandra with ldap authentication

Bartolomeo Sorrentino

Jul 12, 2018, 9:18:13 AM7/12/18
to JanusGraph developers
I need to use janusgraph with cassandra using ldap authentication

This is supported by dse-java-driver-core but not by cassandra-driver-core

I've experimented substitution in  my own fork without (apparently) any side effect.

Is it possible to plan such substitution ? I've to open an issue to push this ?

Current driver

        <dependency>
            <groupId>com.datastax.cassandra</groupId>
            <artifactId>cassandra-driver-core</artifactId>
            <version>${cassandra-driver.version}</version>
        </dependency>

New driver

                 <dependency>
            <groupId>com.datastax.dse</groupId>
            <artifactId>dse-java-driver-core</artifactId>
            <version>1.4.1</version>
        </dependency>

Jason Plurad

Jul 12, 2018, 11:04:08 AM7/12/18
to JanusGraph developers
What's the license on that driver?

Jason Plurad

Jul 12, 2018, 11:12:24 AM7/12/18
to JanusGraph developers
Here it is: https://www.datastax.com/terms/datastax-dse-driver-license-terms

Found it via the DataStax Enterprise Java driver webpage.

We'd need to do some more homework/legal review on the implications for that license.

Misha Brukman

Jul 12, 2018, 11:54:34 AM7/12/18
to Jason Plurad, JanusGraph developers
I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

The DSE license appears to be incompatible with Apache 2.0 and hence, likely ineligible to be included in JanusGraph by default. I'm happy to check in with The Linux Foundation legal but this seems to be clearly incompatible with JanusGraph such that we cannot include it into the distribution by default.

DataStax Enterprise (DSE) driver license starts off with:

1. Software License

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, DataStax grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited, royalty-free license to use the unmodified Licensed Software, without the right to re-distribute to any third party, and only in conjunction with the use of DataStax Enterprise software. This license does not extend to certain premium functionality of the Licensed Software, unless you have a paid DataStax Enterprise subscription.

The highlighted part means that you cannot use this driver with open-source Apache Cassandra, only with DataStax Enterprise, which means you must have a license for DSE. Additionally, it depends whether "LDAP authentication" is considered a "premium" feature or not.

The same paragraph also says that you cannot modify or redistribute this client driver software to any other user, which places it in the "Apache Category X" set of licenses: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#criteria because it fails the open source definition: https://opensource.org/osd-annotated of free redistribution.

Any customer is welcome to use this driver in their own environment, but they will have to abide by the license terms themselves.

Misha

Jason Plurad

Jul 12, 2018, 12:46:26 PM7/12/18
to JanusGraph developers
I'm not a lawyer either, but this seems to end the discussion: without the right to re-distribute to any third party

If the solution to use LDAP with DSE is a simple jar swap and some additional configuration properties that an end user could do in their own environment, we can document how to do it and whatever disclaimers about abiding by the driver's license.

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 11:54:34 AM UTC-4, Misha Brukman wrote:
I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

The DSE license appears to be incompatible with Apache 2.0 and hence, likely ineligible to be included in JanusGraph by default. I'm happy to check in with The Linux Foundation legal but this seems to be clearly incompatible with JanusGraph such that we cannot include it into the distribution by default.

DataStax Enterprise (DSE) driver license starts off with:

1. Software License

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, DataStax grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited, royalty-free license to use the unmodified Licensed Software, without the right to re-distribute to any third party, and only in conjunction with the use of DataStax Enterprise software. This license does not extend to certain premium functionality of the Licensed Software, unless you have a paid DataStax Enterprise subscription.

The highlighted part means that you cannot use this driver with open-source Apache Cassandra, only with DataStax Enterprise, which means you must have a license for DSE. Additionally, it depends whether "LDAP authentication" is considered a "premium" feature or not.

The same paragraph also says that you cannot modify or redistribute this client driver software to any other user, which places it in the "Apache Category X" set of licenses: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#criteria because it fails the open source definition: https://opensource.org/osd-annotated of free redistribution.

Any customer is welcome to use this driver in their own environment, but they will have to abide by the license terms themselves.

Misha

Jason Plurad

Jul 12, 2018, 1:30:37 PM7/12/18
to JanusGraph developers
Is this line in CQLStoreManager the only change? If so, you could change it to use Java reflection to lookup the Cluster class by name since DseCluster extends Cluster, then there wouldn't be a compile-time dependency on the DSE driver.

Bartolomeo Sorrentino

Jul 12, 2018, 1:42:49 PM7/12/18
to JanusGraph developers
Thanks for tip ... and also for a very clear & detailed explanation about license implication
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to janusgraph-de...@googlegroups.com.