DynamoDB storage backend

mcha...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2017, 1:55:30 PM12/7/17
to JanusGraph developers
In conversations with AWS, they've expressed little willingness to continue to support this backend.

I am very interested in moving from a self-managed cassandra-on-aws graph, to a managed DynamoDB graph.
My company has expressed misgivings about basing our solution on an unsupported code base.

Is it possible that AWS could be persuaded to contribute the code to JanusGraph, and that JanusGraph would be willing to maintain it going forward?

 what is needed to make that happen?

Robert Dale

Dec 7, 2017, 1:59:47 PM12/7/17
to mcha...@gmail.com, JanusGraph developers
It probably has to do with the fact that Amazon recently announced their own graph technology - https://aws.amazon.com/neptune/

Robert Dale

mcha...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2017, 11:39:44 AM12/8/17
to JanusGraph developers
I'm sure that is part of it. However Neptune does not scale out like DynamDB does.
For some people, Neptune will not work.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:16 PM, <mcha...@gmail.com> wrote:
In conversations with AWS, they've expressed little willingness to continue to support this backend.

I am very interested in moving from a self-managed cassandra-on-aws graph, to a managed DynamoDB graph.
My company has expressed misgivings about basing our solution on an unsupported code base.

Is it possible that AWS could be persuaded to contribute the code to JanusGraph, and that JanusGraph would be willing to maintain it going forward?

 what is needed to make that happen?

Stephen Mallette

Dec 8, 2017, 12:20:23 PM12/8/17
to mcha...@gmail.com, JanusGraph developers
That's an interesting statement....could you elaborate?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/janusgraph-dev/b1e95aa2-e153-493d-ace8-2dfebbc64167%40googlegroups.com.

mcha...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2017, 2:23:16 PM12/8/17
to JanusGraph developers
Cassandra and DynamDB have similar eventually consistent, scale-out, cluster types of architectures.
They are "essentially" unlimited in the amount of data, or cluster size.
Neptune - as of today - is limited to 64TB of data.
it has one write master (limiting write capacity) and up to 15 read replicas (liming read capacity).
they project that means 100B relations in graph DB - subject to size and number of string properties

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:39 AM, <mcha...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Henry Saputra

Feb 9, 2018, 1:56:45 PM2/9/18
to JanusGraph developers
Sorry to follow up on old thread, anyone from AWS could chime whether Neptune is using or base on JanusGraph or totally build from scratch?

Trying to build case to use JanusGraph rather than come up with your own Graph stack in my work.

Thanks,

- Henry

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/janusgraph-dev/e1e6b984-2fe2-4c47-b0cb-099dd9af2927%40googlegroups.com.

Ted Wilmes

Feb 11, 2018, 11:02:26 AM2/11/18
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Henry,
I'm not from Amazon, but it looks like it has no relation to JanusGraph. From what I've read, I think it might have some Blazegraph DNA in it: http://www.snee.com/bobdc.blog/2017/12/sparql-and-amazon-web-services.html.

--Ted

Henry Saputra

Feb 12, 2018, 12:14:26 AM2/12/18
to Ted Wilmes, JanusGraph developers
Hi Ted,

Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting given integration with Dynamo for JanusGraph ...

But support for RDF/SPARQL could be nice integration for some use cases.

- Henry

Alexander Patrikalakis

Mar 8, 2018, 3:14:07 PM3/8/18
to JanusGraph developers
I just published support for JanusGraph 0.2.0 to Maven today:

I will double up to track 0.3.0 track support over the coming weeks.
Thank you
Alex
--Ted

crs...@googlemail.com

Mar 5, 2019, 10:14:11 AM3/5/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hello
Are you intending on creating the adapter for Janusgraph 3.0 / DynamoDB?
Thanks
Chris