Update of Tutorial Book?

rob...@hotmail.com

Feb 14, 2022, 1:05:04 PM2/14/22
to jallib
Hi all,

I am planning to update the tutorial book to bring it more in line with the current status of JAL. I want to keep it as much as possible as it is but some stuff that I am planning to change are:
- Mention PicKit2, PicKit3, Snap and PicKit4 as programmers. Remove older ones
- Mention MPLABX IPE as programmer software
- Update ADC (library has changed)
- Adding some new libraries for external devices like DFPlayer, Si5351, SSD1306, etc.
- Adding some JAL libraries like large array

My questions to you.

Are you OK with removing some old stuff?
Are there any specific items you are currently missing and would like to see in a new version of the Tutorial Book?

Thanks

Kind regards,

Rob

Matthew Schinkel

Feb 14, 2022, 6:02:04 PM2/14/22
to jallib
Hi, I don't think we should remove old tutorials. Which did you think we should remove?

More content in the tutorial books and more content on the website means more people will find their search results and arrive here. I think many tutorials need updates.

I was able to compile the tutorial book on my server. Using output type web creates HTML for the website. I just have to figure out how Seb had published the html to the website.

Matt.

Rob CJ

Feb 15, 2022, 4:48:55 AM2/15/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

OK, I will only add stuff and fix stuff wich may no longer be correct.

Since this might take some time so my plan is to create new versions now and then so that this does not become a submarine project. The current version is 0.4 if I am right.

Can you also check if the pdf version of the tutoral book is created correctly since that did not yet work well on my machine.

Thanks

Kind regards,

Rob

Feb 17, 2022, 5:42:56 AM2/17/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
Is it possible to include an overview of the commands like in https://www.casadeyork.com/jalv2/jalv2/index.html
regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Feb 17, 2022, 2:37:07 PM2/17/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

There is already a document on that which is part of the release.

You find it at Jallib\compiler\jalv2.pdf

Is that not sufficient?

Kind regards,

Rob

Feb 23, 2022, 2:47:24 AM2/23/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
I meant a short overview as a memory aid. All details can then be found in the places you indicated.
regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Feb 23, 2022, 1:31:54 PM2/23/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Yes I could make a summary of JAL without futher details. I will give it some thought.

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: woensdag 23 februari 2022 08:47

hans

Mar 13, 2022, 2:22:26 PM3/13/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
Where can i find the latest revision :  Update of Tutorial Book (v0.6)
regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Mar 14, 2022, 7:54:50 AM3/14/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

If you are looking for the pdf version use this link: http://test.justanotherlanguage.org/sites/default/files/tutorialhtml/Tutorial_Book.pdf
The Tutorial Book Have fun with PIC microcontrollers, Jal v2 and Jallib 2008 2022 Jallib Group Step by step tutorials, covering basic features of PIC
But you could also find it on the home page of 🙂http://justanotherlanguage.org/
Welcome to the Jalv2 & Jallib website! JAL (Just Another Language, version 2) is an open source programming language built for programming PIC microcontrollers.

I did some updates but it is still called version 0.5. It was never released as version 0.5 before.

I am working on version 0.6 where I added the PICKit3 application in the getting started section and referring to the PICkit plus database for upgrading the PICkit3 application. Next to that I added the Visual Studio Code plug in to the appendix for people that want to use Visual Studio Code.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: zondag 13 maart 2022 19:22
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "jallib" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jallib/ce4a393f-0f95-44e7-a4a1-dc9244387c5dn%40googlegroups.com.

hans

Mar 16, 2022, 4:29:20 AM3/16/22
to jallib
Hi Rob,
(It's like in my grandmother's kitchen: the coffee was sitting there in the sugar canister with chocolate written on it.)
Thanks, i have tried the pickit-3 hint but it did not work at all on  my win 10.
I dont need it, so no problem..
I'll wait for your completion of the (great) work
regards
Hans

Rob CJ

Mar 16, 2022, 1:56:28 PM3/16/22
to jal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hans,

Do you mean you tried the use the PICkitPlus database for your pickit3 stand alone application?

It should work - at least it did for me - and the instruction is:
-) Download the PKPlusDeviceFile.dat file from https://github.com/Anobium/PICKitPlus
-) Copy this file to the location where the PICkit3 application is stored (look at the properties of your desktop shortcut if  you have it)
-) Rename the existing database file in that directory called PK2DeviceFile.dat to something else
-) Rename the PKPlusDeviceFile.dat file to PK2DeviceFile.dat
-) Start your PICKit3 stand alone application. It will now support more PICs.

Kind regards,

Rob

Verzonden: woensdag 16 maart 2022 09:29