Foundations of Modern Java Server Apps presentation (crossposted)

Kito D. Mann

Nov 10, 2022, 12:10:26 PM11/10/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hello everyone,

At JavaOne I gave a new talk called Foundations of Modern Java Server Apps that attempts to show both new Java developers and those who haven't yet caught up with microservices how modern microservice frameworks are built on JakartaEE and (sometimes) Microprofile. I'm giving this talk again in December at JakartaOne Livestream, but I'd love to get feedback from folks about how I can make the talk better, especially if there are any obvious errors or omissions. You can find the abstract and slides here: https://kitomann.com/#/sessions/6/foundations-of-modern-java-server-apps.
___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | Java Champion | Google Developer Expert | LinkedIn
Expert training and consulting: Cloud architecture, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Edwin Derks

Nov 10, 2022, 2:00:41 PM11/10/22
to Kito D. Mann, Jakarta EE community discussions, microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Kito,

Thanks for your efforts in sharing knowledge about Jakarta EE and MicroProfile this way. I've taken a first glance at your abstract and slides and so far, I don't see any real problems.

I'm not sure if I'm overlooking any comment option, so I will use this thread for comments.
- In the abstract, you are mentioning "Eclipse Jakarta EE" and "Eclipse MicroProfile". I would advise changing these to just "Jakarta EE" and "MicroProfile" to avoid any branding-related confusion. The Eclipse prefix is mandatory when the projects are not under an Eclipse Working Group (WG), and needs to drop when a WG has formed IIRC.

Hope this helps so far.

Edwin

Kito D. Mann

Nov 10, 2022, 2:11:37 PM11/10/22
to Edwin Derks, Jakarta EE community discussions, microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hello Edwin,

Thanks so much for taking a look! You're right -- there's no editing capability for the slides, so this works out well. I'll update the slides accordingly.

___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | Java Champion | Google Developer Expert | LinkedIn
Expert training and consulting: Cloud architecture, Java/Jakarta EE, Web Components, Angular
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to Stackd Podcast.
* Speak at conferences? Check out SpeakerTrax.

Ondro Mihályi

Nov 10, 2022, 5:53:55 PM11/10/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Kito,

A few things:
  • You have 2 slides with Payara Micro, the first one says No GrapQL support, the second one includes GraphQL. Is that intentional? I don't think Payara Micro supports GraphQL by any means
  • The slide about MicroProfile on page 33 contains some Jakarta EE specifications, that aren't in MicroProfile (Security, Servlet, Messaging, Persistence, Mail, Bean Val). I believe that only CDI, REST and JSON should stay there
Edwin is right that Jakarta EE and MicroProfile don't require the Eclipse prefix and it's better to write them without it. But you can mention that they are both managed under the Eclipse Foundation.

Ondro

Ed Bratt

Nov 10, 2022, 5:56:23 PM11/10/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Kito D. Mann, microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Hi Kito,

I'm looking forward to hearing your presentation. Thank you for putting it together!

I'm not sure if you want to track with MicroProfile 6 but -- MicroProfile 6 establishes a dependency on Jakarta EE Core Profile so, with this, the distinction you have in your charts showing Core Profile with the subset of components in the dashed line box, "Required for MicroProfile" -- will simply become: Core Profile -- required for MicroProfile (i.e. all of Core Profile is a dependency, not specific specifications -- I realize that this is a one-for-one mapping).

It's also my recollection that Core Profile was explicitly defined to be the subset of component specifications needed for MicroProfile and I believe that the component specifications under Core Profile, that are excluded from the dashed-line box are, in fact, actual dependencies from the component specifications within that box so the distinction may be moot, even before MicroProfile 6 -- of course, this may be a detail that is not really be meaningful to your content.

Thank you for letting us have input and good luck at the Livestream event!

-- Ed

aristides villarreal

Nov 11, 2022, 8:28:50 PM11/11/22
to Jakarta EE community discussions, microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Emily Jiang

Nov 12, 2022, 5:11:21 AM11/12/22
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Kito,
Thank you for sharing your slides! Overall great deck! On top of all of the comments, here are a few additional minor suggestions:
1. In your slides, MicroProfile Context Propagation was missing from the slides.
2. If you base your slides on MicroProfile 5.0, you need to add Jakarta Annotations as one of the Jakarta dependencies(see microprofile.io website). I suggest you to add one more slide to show MicroProfile 6.0, which depends on Jakarta EE 10 Core Profile. Basically +1 on what Ed said. It makes the graph a lot simpler. We plan to release MP on 5th Dec, before JakartaOne Livestream. We are working on MP 6 slides. I’ll let you know the link in due course. By the way, I have a talk on MP 6.0 at JakartaOne Livestream, so you can direct your audience to my talk/video to find more on MP 6.0.
Thanks,
Emily

Kito D. Mann