Guide to Contributing to Jakarta EE 10

Reza Rahman

Jul 5, 2020, 11:16:29 PM7/5/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Just a quick heads up that as promised I started drafting the guide this
weekend:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit?usp=sharing.
I was planning to get a draft done by today but holiday family
obligations got in the way.

I hope to get it ready for review by next weekend.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Reza Rahman

Jul 11, 2020, 11:53:48 PM7/11/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
The first draft is now complete, could folks kindly take a look:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit?usp=sharing?

Obviously there are a lot of possible things across the platform and
ecosystem, but I do believe it is best to focus on a simple, brief,
end-user focused and mostly self-contained resource (to be ultimately
part of the Jakarta EE Ambassadors website).

If possible, I would like to finalize this by next weekend.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

reza_rahman

Jul 12, 2020, 8:11:27 PM7/12/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
An interesting consideration came up in the context of the guide that I believe I have clarity on, but it feels l like I should confirm.

For Jakarta EE and indeed for the Eclipse Foundation generally, project mailing lists appear to be the canonical communication mechanism. This means that we should all be at least making a good faith effort to centralize substantive discussions and decision making in the mailing lists.

This certainly seems sensible to me as a way of maximizing transparency and inclusion, especially for folks that may have limited time and engagement at any given moment. Now, of course it is understandable that some discussion organically happens in places like GitHub issues, Slack channels, etc as long as we remain consious of trying not to replace a more inclusive communication mechanism instead of sensibly supplementing it.

Could the right folks kindly clarify (e.g. Wayne, Mike, Tanja, Ivar)? Also, what do folks here think - especially folks that are not heavily engaged today but could be in the future? What works best for you in terms of inclusion and transparency in the likely limited time you have?

It would be good to have clarity so we can bake in clarity and simplicity into the guide. I think that helps everyone in the end.

Reza Rahman

reza_rahman

Jul 13, 2020, 10:25:12 AM7/13/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Looping in the Jakarta EE Ambassadors Google Group as well. Would love to hear a few more opinions on this, especially from folks that would like to be more deeply engaged but are not today.

Reza Rahman

Jul 13, 2020, 10:28:48 AM7/13/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Thanks Ivar for providing your perspective. For the purposes of the guide, it would be helpful to have a canonical way for folks to expect to engage.

Looping in the Jakarta EE Ambassadors Google Group as well. Would love to hear a few more opinions on this, especially from folks that would like to be more deeply engaged but are not today.

Reza Rahman

Jul 13, 2020, 9:49:24 PM7/13/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
I have one more issue in this context I would like to clarify once again
(the reason is that there seems to be various contradictory ideas on
this topic from people with perhaps different perspectives).

My understanding is that becoming a contributor has a lot lower
paperwork bar than being a committer. In general for a contributor it
appears to be sufficient to just sign the ECA - which in general does
not seem to require any kind of paperwork from an employer. On the other
hand, becoming a committer seems to in most/some cases require some kind
of employer involvement even if effectively signing an "IP waiver" for a
given employee contributing on their own time. Is this a good layman's
view of things? Can the right folks (Wayne, Mike, Tanja, Ivar, etc)
please clarify? I know there are corner cases, but is this a fair
characterization for most people that will likely contribute using the
guide (non-vendors, people that probably don't work for member
companies, contributing individually). Can things be stated in an even
simpler way?

Again, the objective here is to make the on-ramp for new contributors
(that may one day become committers, but probably not) as friendly,
simple and enticing as possible. Having something akin to a verbal logic
diagram that attempts to cover every corner case is virtually guaranteed
to confuse and put off people...

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

P.S.: I really thought we did this once for the Jakarta EE 9
contribution guide already, but I guess not given the ongoing confusion
going in various directions.

Markus KARG

Jul 14, 2020, 1:23:47 PM7/14/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Reza,

long story short: Yes.

But reality is more complex: It is the *EF* that wants some paperwork, but
it is a different story what *you* want to hold in hands for the times when
your employer changes his mind.

The ECA (i. e. the smalles possible paperwork for CONTRIBUTOS) is found
here: https://www.eclipse.org/legal/ECA.php, quote: "By making a
contribution to this project, I certify that the contribution was created in
whole or in part by me and I have the right to submit it under the open
source license indicated in the file or". This means, you don't need to have
your employer sign anything as the EF trusts you that your employer *would*
agree that you submissions may be open sourced *if* he would be asked. But
still, you *should* ask him before you sign that line.

The full COMMITER paperwork concept is outlined in
https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#contributing-committers, quote:
"When a contributor becomes a committer, they must be covered by a committer
agreement (either a Member Committer and Contributor Agreement (MCCA) or an
Individual Committer Agreement (ICA). Committers on specification projects
must be covered by additional agreements. As the last step in the committer
election process, the Eclipse Foundation systems will determine which
agreement applies and engage a committer paperwork workflow with the new
committer to ensure that everything is in place.".

-Markus

Jul 14, 2020, 2:26:17 PM7/14/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

No doubt there are many possible interpretations and nuances but as I said, I would like to see if it is reasonable to stick to a simple one. This one seems rather simple and sensible to me: https://www.agilejava.eu/2020/01/30/contributing-to-jakarta-ee/.

"You can now start contributing by submitting Pull Requests to the projects you are interested in, including Jakarta EE specification projects. It doesn’t cost anything. No signatures from your employer are necessary. Just the ECA. The only thing you need in order to contribute to Jakarta EE specifications is a signed ECA!"

If it is best to stick to the verbiage close to the one quoted above, I think that is a fine outcome.

That said, the reason for double checking is to understand what the right folks in the Eclipse Foundation that have to manage all this really think. To state the obvious, employer permission is a big deal for many people - even if it is informal, verbal permission that the Eclipse Foundation does not actually verify/track through signed paperwork.

Reza Rahman

On 7/14/2020 1:44 PM, Werner Keil wrote:
Then probably make sure you work for an employer that doesn't ;-)

Especially the ECA as the smallest agreement is more simple than e.g. the ICLA at Apache (there is no difference between Committer or Contributor Agreement at Apache) which also states
  4. You represent that you are legally entitled to grant the above license. If your employer(s) has rights to intellectual property that you create that includes your Contributions, you represent that you have received permission to make Contributions on behalf of that employer, that your employer has waived such rights for your Contributions to the Foundation, or that your employer has executed a separate Corporate CLA with the Foundation.

So if you are employed you have to sign the corporate CLA https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.pdf and if you change employer or your employer changes his mind then you're stuck in a lot more paperwork with the Apache agreement or at least the situation is very similar.

Werner

Tanja Obradovic

Jul 16, 2020, 1:16:23 PM7/16/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Hello All,

no reason to double check anything! The information below is coming from our own Ivar Grimstad and that is all you need.

Now, I am looking forward to see more contributors in any of the Jakarta EE related projects!

If at any point in time additional paper work will be required (e.g. transitioning from a contributor to a committer) Eclipse Foundation will guide that process.

To conclude, I'll paste this quote again.

"You can now start contributing by submitting Pull Requests to the projects you are interested in, including Jakarta EE specification projects. It doesn’t cost anything. No signatures from your employer are necessary. Just the ECA. The only thing you need in order to contribute to Jakarta EE specifications is a signed ECA!"

Hope this helps!

Best,

Tanja

Tanja Obradovic

Jakarta EE Program Manager | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Twitter: @TanjaEclipse

m.reza.rahman

Jul 17, 2020, 12:32:32 PM7/17/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Thanks Tanja for the prompt response. I have updated the language to clarify and simplify the best I can. As Ivar suggests, I am also going to make some further modifications to direct folks mostly to the mailing lists as an easy on ramp. Once they actually show up there we can always further redirect them based on what is going on with any given project at a given point in time.

I am trying to wrap this up by next weekend and begin publicizing it as broadly as possible. Please provide sensible feedback by then (please also note the document history to avoid belaboring topics that have perhaps already been sufficiently discussed).

The main thing that really needs more review is the realistic potential features most likely to draw people in. Ryan and I have been working on this since November. There seems to be plenty of people looking at the document but few comments (which maybe is a good sign after all). Are there potentially important features that would draw people missing (keeping in mind what is likely to be achievable in Jakarta EE 10)? Are there features listed that are not really that compelling?

Reza Rahman

Ryan Cuprak

Jul 17, 2020, 12:55:22 PM7/17/20
to m.reza.rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Hi Reza,
 We discussed this document during the call on Tuesday (leadership council). Can we get this posted early next week to the website? I think we are good with it.

Regards,
-Ryan

Reza Rahman

Jul 17, 2020, 1:05:30 PM7/17/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions

Yes, definitely doable. Indeed I was hoping to do that Sunday night if feedback quieted down by Saturday night.

Reza Rahman

Martijn Verburg

Jul 17, 2020, 5:13:47 PM7/17/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Great stuff Reza, hopefully, this can get linked to by the various landing sites!

Cheers,
Martijn

Reza Rahman

Jul 17, 2020, 5:32:59 PM7/17/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

I'll ask Tanja what she thinks is really practical after we incorporate it into the Jakarta EE Ambassadors site. Honesty it is not an expectation, probably from anyone on the Jakarta EE Ambassadors perspective. This most likely does not pass muster.

Reza Rahman

Reza Rahman

Jul 18, 2020, 6:57:41 PM7/18/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions

The comments have quieted down and I have now finalized the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit?usp=sharing. Does anyone want to help me put it up on the website? If not, I will do it.

We can of course further evolve the page as time goes on. In the least, it would be awesome to link to specific issues/threads.

Reza Rahman

arjan tijms

Jul 18, 2020, 7:05:58 PM7/18/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
Hi,

It looks very good now! Hope we can attract some people again for helping out with EE 10.

People who already know the various projects involved could theoretically start right away, but in order to not confuse new people it's perhaps best for them to start after EE 9 is released. In many projects the master branch is now in flux and a number of things just don't entirely work at the moment.

Kind regards,
Arjan

Reza Rahman

Jul 18, 2020, 7:12:06 PM7/18/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions

I was wondering about this myself - thanks for saying something. What do others think? One option is just to leave it in Google Doc form right now and somewhat low key.

Keep in mind, we were trying to spin up FishCat. That could remain the focus for a few more months for the Jakarta EE Ambassadors.

Reza Rahman

Reza Rahman

Jul 19, 2020, 12:12:08 PM7/19/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

I have re-opened commenting and change suggestions (shut it down and finalized the document last night as indicated). If you still have access issues, please do let me know.

Probably an obvious point but maybe worth clarifying: kindly do keep in mind the document is intended to be mostly end user feedback driven though clearly vendor feedback is important. I would imagine at some point there will be an official roadmap where vendor positions will inevitably carry more weight. The main point is that this is not intended to be that official roadmap in any sense, so a 100% alignment with any given vendor position is probably unrealistic in either direction.

If the projects are just not ready to handle Jakarta EE 10 contribution for a significant amount of time, it certainly makes perfect sense to defer finalizing the guide.

Reza Rahman

On 7/19/2020 11:48 AM, Scott Stark wrote:
This document is not open to comment or edit access for me, and I and I assume many others have been too preoccupied with EE 9 to speculate as to what EE 10 might entail. I would suggest leaving this open until after the EE 9 release is finalized.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 5:58 PM Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com> wrote:

The comments have quieted down and I have now finalized the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit?usp=sharing. Does anyone want to help me put it up on the website? If not, I will do it.

We can of course further evolve the page as time goes on. In the least, it would be awesome to link to specific issues/threads.

Reza Rahman

Reza Rahman

Sep 20, 2020, 4:58:35 PM9/20/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
Is it now the right time to revisit finalizing this document and begin
driving Jakarta EE 10 contribution? Do we need to wait a bit more? If we
should wait more, how much longer should we wait?

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Reza Rahman

Sep 25, 2020, 10:45:28 PM9/25/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, will....@oracle.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors

Will,

Thanks so much for reading through this and providing your kind comments. Needless to say it is much more than what I was hoping to accomplish. It has been a crazy week at the day job so I apologize for the delay in responding.

Unfortunately all I can afford at the moment is just a quick acknowledgement. I will go through your email and respond in detail hopefully over the weekend, addressing as many points as I can.

Reza Rahman

On 9/22/2020 11:29 PM, will....@oracle.com wrote:

Hello -

Thank you Reza, Ambassadors, project leads and committers for the work and you have put into this document!.

As Reza suggests this is a good time to encourage community discussion and input about Jakarta EE  directions after Jakarta EE 9.   The Jakarta EE 9 release is just around the corner in November.  As individual specifications complete, there should be no barrier to envisioning future work on these specifications. I welcome this community document, and believe it makes sense to begin shaping directions for Jakarta EE 10 for delivery in CY2021, and to identify specific topics for community input via surveys or other means.

Thanks for the pragmatic suggestions on how individuals can get started contributing to Jakarta EE.
    ◦    Join the mailing lists available here
    ◦    Check to see if your favorite new feature request has been logged, starting here
    ◦    Suggest how the feature would appear in the API, perhaps providing a POC.  We suggest checking with the project team on the approach they would like to follow.

    ◦    Get on a list and reach out

The document provides a nice, simple summary of how to get started participating in, and contributing to, Jakarta EE.
    ◦    No paperwork is required to participate in community discussions
    ◦    You only need to fill out paperwork if you want to contribute

The Jakarta EE 10 contents section provides a good summary of potential changes.  To keep the discussion moving, I'd suggest conducting a series of surveys on the suggestions being made in each of the areas covered below.   Note if there are other technologies of interest we're open to discussion of these as well:

    ◦    Themes

  • Take better advantage of CDI
  • Leverage Java SE innovations
  • Portability and vendor neutrality
  • I'd add -- CY2021 release date

    ◦    Platform-level changes

  • Security

  • Concurrency
  • Messaging
  • Persistence
  • REST
  • Batch
  • Mail
  • Transactions
  • Faces
  • (There's also active discussions on the Servlet project)
  • New APIs

I suggest starting with above, and set as a goal presenting community driven directions at the Jakarta One Livestream event on Dec 8.  It would great to use the Jakarta EE 9 release as a way to kick off process of community-driven Jakarta EE 10 release planning.

We discussed at Steering Committee today and propose to discuss this topic as part of a 30 minutes public Steering Committee meeting we intend to hold as part of the J4K conference on October 13.  I will follow up with coordinates for this meeting.

Please comment.

Thanks

Will

On 7/5/2020 11:16 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:
Just a quick heads up that as promised I started drafting the guide this weekend: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit?usp=sharing__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!PbkHfCs-JAqSzBMnTlVo5tqu7Bn6Y478xTSLNwJzUTxUbteLN3Kp2Od_c7orjoJ6$ . I was planning to get a draft done by today but holiday family obligations got in the way.

I hope to get it ready for review by next weekend.

Reza Rahman

Reza Rahman

Sep 26, 2020, 6:38:52 PM9/26/20
to Jakarta EE community discussions, will....@oracle.com, Jakarta EE Ambassadors
As promised, following up with a few more details. I have tried my best
to address all of your thoughts. More detailed responses are in-line. I
have truncated some text to hopefully improve readability. The updated
document is here for reference:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uZFBoIujXCc-gQhCzh_ZdlKEsrsV0yVVIHzBTI3usF8/edit?usp=sharing.

Reza Rahman

Please note views expressed here are my own as an individual community
member and do not reflect the views of my employer.

On 9/22/2020 11:29 PM, will....@oracle.com wrote:
> Thank you Reza, Ambassadors, project leads and committers for the work
> and you have put into this document!.
Indeed a lot of folks have provided input already. However, it would be
good to hear from folks that have perhaps not fully engaged with the
document yet. In particular Scott Stark suggested he needed a bit more
time. It would be good to work towards publishing and publicizing the
document via a section in the Jakarta EE Ambassadors website:
https://jakartaee-ambassadors.io/getting-involved/. As such, we will
update and evolve this content anyway just as we did the Jakarta EE 9
contribution guide.

> The Jakarta EE 9 release is just around the corner in November.  As
> individual specifications complete, there should be no barrier to
> envisioning future work on these specifications. I welcome this
> community document, and believe it makes sense to begin shaping
> directions for Jakarta EE 10 for delivery in CY2021, and to identify
> specific topics for community input via surveys or other means.

I have updated the document to suggest that as Jakarta EE 9 work wraps
up, there is no reason not to begin making progress towards Jakarta EE
10. I have also added a reference to a tentative 2021 release. Let me
address the survey suggestion below.

>     ◦    Suggest how the feature would appear in the API, perhaps
> providing a POC.

I have added a reference to PoC development, being careful to note that
this is probably not for the average contributor.

> We suggest checking with the project team on the approach they would
> like to follow.

This is a bit tricky. While there are definitely variations in the way
projects are operating, I think there is value to providing a simple
starting point in the guide. Hopefully at some point each project will
have it's own contribution guide, making this whole document redundant.
> To keep the discussion moving, I'd suggest conducting a series of
> surveys on the suggestions being made in each of the areas covered below.
Folks in the Jakarta EE Leadership Council have already suggested this.
Is it possible to partner with the Eclipse Foundation for such an
effort? Otherwise we will probably opt to partner with either DZone or
InfoQ.
> (There's also active discussions on the Servlet project)
I am unsure how to proceed with this and could use some guidance. I have
been closely following this discussion. The problem is that I did not
see big ticket features that would get the attention of the average
contributor. It seems to be mostly smaller grained (but nonetheless
important) maintenance/bug fix items.
> I suggest starting with above, and set as a goal presenting community
> driven directions at the Jakarta One Livestream event on Dec 8.
Following your suggestion, I just submitted "Contributors Guide to the
Jakarta EE 10 Galaxy". Otavio has also submitted a Jakarta EE 10 panel
similar to the "Jakarta EE 10 Round Table" here:
https://www.eclipsecon.org/2020/community-day-jakarta#session1.
> It would great to use the Jakarta EE 9 release as a way to kick off
> process of community-driven Jakarta EE 10 release planning.
The Jakarta EE Ambassadors would be happy to help with this, but need a
bit of guidance on how to best do this in a way that is congruent to the
overall effort.

> We discussed at Steering Committee today and propose to discuss this
> topic as part of a 30 minutes public Steering Committee meeting we
> intend to hold as part of the J4K conference on October 13.  I will
> follow up with coordinates for this meeting.

The Jakarta EE Ambassadors will be happy to spread the word. To be
honest, as most folks are working professionals attending meetings is
hard. Mailing list discussions I think is the easiest.