Bintray JCenter (and MavenCentral) download stats

Reza Rahman

Apr 7, 2020, 10:53:52 PM4/7/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Werner Keil
Werner,

I am redirecting your email to the Jakarta EE Ambassadors alias as I believe it will get the right level of attention it deserves there.

This is really good information. I think it is worth the effort to pull all the data for all the new Jakarta artifacts and write a blog entry. If you don't want to write it, maybe you could collaborate with someone else?

A couple of suggestions: I would make sure to mention that this is preliminary data since most people probably haven't upgraded to Jakarta EE 8 just yet. I recommend leaving out MicroProfile from any write up or analysis until the core leadership of MicroProfile asks for such a thing - unless of course there is a specific valuable, good faith learning you are trying to understand about MicroProfile.

What are your thoughts?

Reza Rahman

On 4/7/2020 8:32 PM, Werner Keil wrote:
Hi,

Since Bintray and JCenter introduced a new UI every newer artifact (including mirrors of MavenCentral I am pretty sure) now shows the total downloads, even if the artifact does not expose the stats explicitly.

As we made the download figures for JSRs like 363 and 385 available ever since, I know this number is the lifetime downloads for a particular artifact.

Just checking two MicroProfile APIs,
says 150848 downloads.

says only 384 downloads.

says 805423 downloads
Only under the new Jakarta groupId, that of course also includes the usage by MicroProfile ;-)

I'm not sure, if JFrog made those numbers available via API unless you pay or subscribe something, but maybe if a former colleague asks those who now work there, e.g. Steven Chin there could be ways to make it available, or Eclipse Foundation might ask for it to display on certain project pages.

Werner

Rudy De Busscher

Apr 8, 2020, 3:17:13 AM4/8/20
to Reza Rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Werner Keil
These numbers can be misleading as the current pipelines download the artifact for each build of a project.

But other companies still use a local Nexus/JFrog/Artifactory which means that they don't perform the download every time.

So any conclusion based on these download number, or even surveys as you don't reach everyone, can be dodgy.

Based on that example, you can only say Reactive Messaging is less used as JAX-RS. But you don't need statistics for that.

Rudy

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jakarta EE Ambassadors" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jakartaee-ambassadors/14e647df-0d10-6500-3bd9-54248edeef12%40gmail.com.

m.reza.rahman

Apr 8, 2020, 7:49:34 AM4/8/20
to Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
I am dropping the Jakarta EE community alias for this. It was not my intent to add it in the first place.

I think the logical next steps would be to share the numbers for all the Jakarta EE specifications. What do you think?

Rudy pointed out a legitimate issue with these numbers on the Jakarta EE Ambassadors alias. I advise paying attention to that in any potential write up. These are very early days and it is important to avoid any possibility of giving misleading impressions knowingly.

Reza Rahman

Jun 13, 2020, 2:01:20 PM6/13/20
to m.reza.rahman, Jakarta EE Ambassadors, Jakarta EE community discussions
How about adding these stats to our tracking spreadsheet?
___

Kito D. Mann | @kito99 | Java Champion | Google Developer Expert | LinkedIn
Expert training and consulting: PrimeFaces, PrimeNG, JSF, Java EE, Web Components, Angular
Virtua, Inc. | virtua.tech

* Enterprise development, front and back. Listen to stackdpodcast.com.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jakarta EE Ambassadors" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jakartaee-ambassadors/5e8dba4b.1c69fb81.a20a2.3232%40mx.google.com.