[jacktrip-users] QjackCtl not displaying send_1 or send_2 on my system

Daisuke Yoshida

May 30, 2021, 10:41:05 PM5/30/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

Hello Jacktrippers !

I am trying to run jacktrip on windows but I have no luck QjackCtl displaying send_1 or send_2 when my microphone is connected. If you could help me it would be great : )

I am using a USB sabrenet and have both the apple's earpods and panasonic's recording microphone connected.
When I start QjackCtl jackd starts with no problems, but from "Graph" I only see playback_1 and playback_2 and I don't see send_1 or send_2 for the microphones.

image.png

After jackd was successfully started I was able to start jacktrip and Graph is updated seen below.

image.png

Connecting to Stanford's server I can clearly hear the clapping but not my voice.

For some reason the microphone is not recognized from jackd.
Before running jackd through QjackCtl I was able to test this microphone from https://www.onlinemictest.com/ and from Windows settings and it was fine.

Have you ever encountered this kind of issue before ?
I have been using a macbook pro and I haven't seen this issue.

My setup:

PC: windows 10
usb sabrenet: au-mmsa
apple earpods
panasonic recording microphone: RP VC151
jackd.exe: 1.9.17
jacktrip.exe: 1.3.0
qjackctl.exe: 0.9.0

Thanks for your help : )

Synthia Cynthia Payne

May 30, 2021, 11:20:54 PM5/30/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com, Daisuke Yoshida
hi! thanks for the good detail on the issue you are experiencing. I
hesitated to answer seeing that you are using a very low end USB
interface - Sabrent au-mmsa. I looked it up on their website and it says
that it is driverless. Normally, Jacktrip on Windows needs an ASIO
driver. You can try ASIO4ALL, but probably won't recognize the Sabrent.
You can try it and see - asio4all.org

another thing I noticed is that the Sabrent's input is mono, and if you
have a stereo mic that could present a problem.

hope this helps some.

best,
synth

On 5/30/2021 7:40 PM, Daisuke Yoshida wrote:

> Hello Jacktrippers !
>
> I am trying to run jacktrip on windows but I have no luck QjackCtl
> displaying send_1 or send_2 when my microphone is connected. If you
> could help me it would be great : )
>
> I am using a USB sabrenet and have both the apple's earpods and
> panasonic's recording microphone connected.
> When I start QjackCtl jackd starts with no problems, but from "Graph" I
> only see playback_1 and playback_2 and I don't see send_1 or send_2 for
> the microphones.
>
> image.png
>
> After jackd was successfully started I was able to start jacktrip and
> Graph is updated seen below.
>
> image.png
>

> Connecting to Stanford's server I can clearly hear the clapping but not
> my voice.
>
> For some reason the microphone is not recognized from jackd.
> Before running jackd through QjackCtl I was able to test this microphone
> from https://www.onlinemictest.com/ <https://www.onlinemictest.com/> and
> from Windows settings and it was fine.
>
> Have you ever encountered this kind of issue before ?
> I have been using a macbook pro and I haven't seen this issue.
>

> My setup:
>
> PC: windows 10
> usb sabrenet: au-mmsa
> apple earpods
> panasonic recording microphone: RP VC151
> jackd.exe: 1.9.17
> jacktrip.exe: 1.3.0
> qjackctl.exe: 0.9.0
>

> Thanks for your help : )

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAO8UB80A0PxP_zm4RxwiuqL2zqYVVWfW-V69G%2BXuCBP9RGTxwQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/CAO8UB80A0PxP_zm4RxwiuqL2zqYVVWfW-V69G%2BXuCBP9RGTxwQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

May 30, 2021, 11:22:20 PM5/30/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com, Daisuke Yoshida
also, the Sabrent website does not list Windows 10 as an operating
system for the au-mmsa.

synth

Dave Adams

May 31, 2021, 6:58:32 AM5/31/21
to jacktrip-users
I do not have a Windows 10 machine available to test on.  Or a current Mac.  When you say "have been using a MacBook Pro" do you mean with the Sabrent?  If not, can you try that?

I have used the AU-MMSA under Linux Mint 19.x on an Acer Aspire R-15 with an "Everbell" version of the SF-666 stereo electret condenser (bias powered) microphone.  The result is, predictably, mono, but the bias power works fine and the connection works fine.

Under Linux I DID find that not dealing with the jack-alternative audio handler would result in not seeing the Sabrent in Jack Control.  Not having any current windows machines I have no idea if there is a parallel in the windows universe.
Since the mic DOES show up in windows tools and the web tool you linked, I'd start looking at possible audio system conflicts.

I would also try Synthia's asio4all suggestion.  Even if it does not resolve anything, you might be able to use asainfo.exe to help debug.

Dave

Daisuke Yoshida

May 31, 2021, 8:53:51 AM5/31/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Synthia and Dave !

Synthia, that is a good catch on finding out Sabrent au-mmsa not supporting Windows 10. I know the earphone jack worked as I was able to hear and I only tested the microphone visually from that website and Window's settings so I assumed it would work on Windows 10. For those who use jacktrip on Windows 10 what kind of audio interface do they use ? My desktop's PC has an audio interface but I had no luck getting it to work with jackd, so maybe perhaps that interface has the conflict with sabrenet, which I need to investigate to narrow down this issue.  Yes I have installed the ASIO driver but I had no luck.

Dave, what I meant by "I have been using a MacBook Pro" was not the Sabrent, but Jackd and Jacktrip on Mac. After you mentioned I had tested the Jacktrip and the Sabrent combo on Mac but the sound came from the built in speaker. When I run jacktrip on my macbook pro I use its built in audio in and built in microphone and there is no problem.

Daisuke

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/2e5d24cc-ac3f-4123-b6fc-1fe551ab0d8cn%40googlegroups.com.

Dave Adams

May 31, 2021, 11:33:22 AM5/31/21
to jacktrip-users
I think there is some confusion on the Sabrenet web site.  This link indicates it IS supported on Windows 10:

Glad you tried it on the Mac.  I'm more familiar with those.  From your note I suspect you did not change the sound settings in MacOS.  You need to set both the input and output to point to the external USB audio card (au-mmsa) to make it work.

Since this IS rated to work on Win 10, is there any chance you've missed a similar "control panel" type setting there?
Dave

Daisuke Yoshida

May 31, 2021, 6:57:56 PM5/31/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your suggestion. On Mac I connected the Sabrent and from the settings I selected "USB Audio Device" to be the source and jacktrip did work with the Sabrent. This is good news.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 7.29.12 AM.png

On Windows there was a similar setting for microphone and "USB Audio Device" was already selected as default for Playback and Recording shown below.
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 7.52.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 7.53.16 AM.png
I noticed there was "Properties" on Recording and there was a check box for "Listen to this device". After checking this box and applied it I was able to hear my voice from the microphone to the headset both connected to the Sabrent. This is also good news
Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 7.53.23 AM.png

The only problem I still see is that System's "capture_1" (, which is recording) is missing from QjackCtl on Windows...

Daisuke

Synthia Cynthia Payne

May 31, 2021, 7:59:54 PM5/31/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com, Daisuke Yoshida
Hi Daisuke,

I have a few more tips for you:

1. In the Windows sound control panel, where you checked "Listen to this
device", go one step further, and click the "Advanced" tab.

Then 'uncheck' the Exclusive Mode. This will allow your device to be
shared between various apps. Be sure to click save and Ok.

2. Also in the Windows search box, type: microphone privacy.
Then scroll down and see if the Sabrent device appears and is on.

3. I would not use the "Listen to this device" setting. It is fine for
testing or if you really just want to listen to it, but it is
essentially a feedback loop that routes the mic back into the computer
and can cause a loud feedback when you activate it in Jacktrip.

4. Right-click on the tiny speaker icon in the right corner and choose
'sound settings'.

Then make sure that the Sabrent is your incoming and outgoing device.

synthia

On 5/31/2021 3:57 PM, Daisuke Yoshida wrote:
> [...]
> recording) is missing from QjackCtl on Windows...
>

> Daisuke
>

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 12:33 AM Dave Adams <adam...@gmail.com
> <mailto:adam...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I think there is some confusion on the Sabrenet web site.  This link
> indicates it IS supported on Windows 10:
> https://www.sabrent.com/product/AU-MMSA/usb-external-stereo-3d-sound-adapter-black/#additional_information
> <https://www.sabrent.com/product/AU-MMSA/usb-external-stereo-3d-sound-adapter-black/#additional_information>
>
> Glad you tried it on the Mac.  I'm more familiar with those.  From
> your note I suspect you did not change the sound settings in MacOS.
> You need to set both the input and output to point to the external
> USB audio card (au-mmsa) to make it work.
>
> Since this IS rated to work on Win 10, is there any chance you've
> missed a similar "control panel" type setting there?

Synthia Cynthia Payne

May 31, 2021, 8:26:22 PM5/31/21
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com, Daisuke Yoshida
one more: follow these steps to open the asio4all interface to see if it
recognizes the sabrent device there: screenshot attached

1. connect the sabrent
2. in the qjackctl setup window choose the sabrent as the interface
and make sure the sample rate and frames/buffer are the same as those
settings in the other devices you want to use, i.e. the sabrent
3. start jack (even if it doesn't start, don't cancel)
4. left click on the tiny up arrow ^ - bottom right corner of screen
5. choose the green box with an arrow in it
6. that should open the asio4all device
7. click on the wrench to open the detail
8. see if the sabrent is there and make sure it is lit up,
also make sure to match the buffer size

synth
asio4all_interface.png