Peer to peer mode - Client and server are not able to communicate.

Shri Lohia

Aug 9, 2022, 8:13:21 PM8/9/22
to jacktrip-users
Dear All,
I configured a windows system as client and connected with  a Windows server in peer to peer mode. On server end the port routing was created in the home router.  It worked well.

However when I loaded another windows  laptop with jacktrip  and try to connect with my home server as above ( in peer to peer mode) times out and server continued to wait for peer to establish the connection.

I did not further modify Firewall of any side.

I struggled for many hours and unable to diagnose the issue.
Any tips, experiments,  and pointers to diagnose the issue.
Thank you.

Shri

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Aug 13, 2022, 2:07:35 AM8/13/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

Hi Shri,

My apologies for the delayed response - this one got by me in a very busy time.

Perhaps you need to assign a different port number to the second laptop on your network?

Because each instance of a JackTrip client on a single network needs its own port number. The default port number for the first connection is 4464, and can go up to 4494. I was taught to leave 10 ports in between to make them easier to remember, but one could assign a port for each number between 4464 and 4494.

So, the second connection on the same network could be 4474, the third 4484, the fourth 4494. But of course, if you have more than 4 connections on the same network, you can use the numbers in between.

Does that help?

Thanks for your participation and please let us know your progress.

Synthia

Shri Lohia

Aug 14, 2022, 5:02:25 PM8/14/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Synthia,
No need to apologize.

My case is a little different. My description of the issue should have been clearer.
It is Peer to peer communication. One Windows Laptop ( client) works fully over the internet - client can establish the connection and audio path are established and audio is sent back and forth. All good.

However, a second Windows Laptop  is unable  to communicate to the server.  Pls note. one laptop is being used  at a time.  I am trying to figure out what is wrong with the laptop that is not communicating. Client and server both are waiting to hear from other end. Client times out  and gives up.    How to diagnose the issue?

 Who knows what firewall, router, carrier system is blocking the connection.  Is there any  SW tool that can be used on client Laptop to affirm the reachability and connectability to the server?
Thank you.

Shri

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "jacktrip-users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/7924bd39-9449-ecb5-002b-e4642bd5a1a0%40gmail.com.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Aug 15, 2022, 3:26:22 AM8/15/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

ok, I think I understand. I have some questions.

1. Is the second Windows laptop trying to connect to the same server as the other laptop is connecting to (but not at the same time)?

2. Has the private IP address of the second Windows laptop been added to the router's port forwarding function?

3. Has jacktrip been added to the second Windows laptop "allow an application through the firewall"?

To find out if the second laptop is connecting to the server, find the built-in Windows app called, "Resource Monitor", and "Open as Administrator." I have attached a screenshot to show the window that will show the server that an app is connected to.

Following is how to find out which server JackTrip is connected to:

1. Open "Resource Monitor" as an administrator
2. Navigate to the "Overview" (it should come up first by default)
3. Find "JackTrip" and check the box
4. Look below under "Network" and see if jacktrip.exe is listed
5. Look in the column "Address" and that should tell you the server IP address where JackTrip is connected.

Please try these tips and let us know your progress!

Thanks,

Synthia

resource_monitor_markedup.png

Shri Lohia

Aug 15, 2022, 1:39:30 PM8/15/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
I will try these ideas and revert back to you soon. Thank you so much.

Shri Lohia

Aug 19, 2022, 12:58:52 AM8/19/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Answer inline.. Still no success.
Note: The second Windows machine (client)is connected to  Neighbor's Wifi for this setup and testing.
The command on the client "jacktrip -c "my external IP address"
FYI..When I connect the same client laptop on LAN, it can connect to server via its  internal IP ( 192.168....) - obviously because no port forwarding is required.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 12:26 AM Synthia Cynthia Payne <synthi...@gmail.com> wrote:

ok, I think I understand. I have some questions.

1. Is the second Windows laptop trying to connect to the same server as the other laptop is connecting to (but not at the same time)?

yes. Not at the same time . Server started with command "jacktrip -s"

2. Has the private IP address of the second Windows laptop been added to the router's port forwarding function?

No. The client's IP address was not needed to be added to port forwarding!

3. Has jacktrip been added to the second Windows laptop "allow an application through the firewall"?

Yes.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Aug 19, 2022, 2:22:27 AM8/19/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

I'm sorry but it is not likely you will have success with WiFi, but someone else here might have suggestions for you. Maybe Mike O. Let us know if you figure it out.

synthia

On 8/18/2022 10:00 PM, Shri Lohia wrote:
Answer inline.. Still no success.
Note: The second Windows machine (client)is connected to  Neighbor's Wifi for this setup and testing.
The command on the client "jacktrip -c "my exterFInal IP address"

Steve C

Aug 19, 2022, 2:38:39 AM8/19/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
I may not have studied the thread fully, but would it not be advisable to start the server with an uppercase S so that you can avail of the easier modes of connecting and not having to deal with ports except when on the same ip?

Also, as a longtime Jacktrip lover who trips over cables too often, I will say that I’m extremely guilty of almost always connecting to Jacktrip servers  over wifi lol. So for test purposes, the neighbor’s wifi may suffice, unless the signal is bad of course, in which case you will be frustrated with the connection quality and/or buffer delay that you would need to use.

Synthia Cynthia Payne

Aug 19, 2022, 4:24:54 AM8/19/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com

Shri: in case you didn't know already, uppercase -S is used for hub mode servers. It is typically used for 2 or more connections to the same hub server. Clients must use uppercase -C to connect to a server running in hub mode. You are trying peer-to-peer, but -S is worth a try.

Also, with my ISP (Cox), even my client connections need port forwarding on the router.

synth