Question about setting up jacktrip (v1.5.1) hubs using Linode / Debian 10 vs Debian 11

Jane Wang

Feb 15, 2022, 5:03:44 PM2/15/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com, Jane Wang
Hi all,

I am updating two Linode user guides for the jacktrip community (mostly for the Nownet Arts musicians).

I am wondering if it matters re functionality whether you create a linode using Debian 10 or Debian 11 (Debian 11 is the default for a linode image as of yesterday! Linode  just updated their cloud manager to v 1.59.1)

I only did a quick test to see if jacktrip v1.5.1 would run in hub mode on the Linodes as they did previously.  I didn’t try to connect to the hub.

For Debian 10, I used the jackd command detailed in the paper Jacktrip remote server notes (on Debian via Linode) by Michael Dessen  and Bonnie Kwong from Sept 6, 2020.

jackd -d dummy -p512 -r48000 &

then (from builddir directory)

./jacktrip -S -p2 -q32 -z

For Debian 11, I only needed to type in the jacktrip command (jackd wasn’t found):

./jacktrip -S -p2 -q32 -z

and it seemed to work.

Just want to make sure both Debian 10 and Debian 11 should be fine going forward for jacktrip sessions.

Thanks much,
Jane Wang

--
Sent from my ipad apologies for typos etc

Mike O'Connor

Feb 15, 2022, 5:06:09 PM2/15/22
to Jacktrip-users
hi Jane,

i've been running on Debian 11 for...  um...  a long time now.  i haven't run into any trouble.

mike o'c

IOhannes m zmoelnig

Feb 16, 2022, 3:05:04 AM2/16/22

On 2/15/22 23:03, Jane Wang wrote:
> I am wondering if it matters re functionality whether you create a linode
> using Debian 10 or Debian 11 (Debian 11 is the default for a linode image
> as of yesterday! Linode just updated their cloud manager to v 1.59.1)

by all means, when starting from scratch use the latest and greatest
Debian release.
the *only* excuse to run an older (released) version of Debian is: not
having found the time to upgrade an existing system yet.

Debian does not release very often (every two years or so) because they
do put more effort into making the system stable than released.
Debian 11 was released more than half a year ago (2021-08).

it's rather amazing, that Linode has not switched their default image
months ago.

gfsdamrf
IOhannes
OpenPGP_signature

Jane Wang

Feb 16, 2022, 7:49:05 AM2/16/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your input Mike and IOhannes!

I am more concerned about the stability of jacktrip 1.5.1 than Debian 11 itself and am just wondering how much jacktrip 1.5.1 has been tested using Debian 10 and 11.

Any jacktrip linux developers reading this?

In the updated Linode guides planned for by end of February release, I decided to include both options without making a final recommendation of Debian 10 over Debian 11 or vice versa unless I hear that jacktrip 1.5.1 is not fully compatible with one or the other; wondering too if subsequent versions of jacktrip will not support Debian 10 based systems.

Curious how rigorously new jacktrip versions are tested in linux based environments.  for 1.3.0, users were asked to volunteer to beta test but that no longer seems to be the case?

Thanks much, Jane