Jacktrip Ableton Live- baffling new thing

Conrad Kehn

Mar 21, 2022, 5:36:27 PM3/21/22
to jacktrip-users
Hi All,

I recently updated my computer from Mojave to Catalina. I think Live may have run an update as well..not sure.

Went to log in to my weekly Jacktrip jam and Live can't see Jackrouter as an audio device.

We are using Jacktrip in hub mode with a server that was built by the institution I teach at. I am able to connect to the hub just fine. Others connected to hub can hear me, I can hear them. That isn't the issue here.

I just can't get Live to show up on my end and it is essential to what we are doing.

I just updated Jack to 1.9.20 although I think i was already running that.
Updated Jacktrip to 1.5.2
Reinstalled Live 11.1.1
Still the same issue.

Thoughts?

Conrad

Michael Dessen

Mar 21, 2022, 5:43:01 PM3/21/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Conrad,

On macOS, from Catalina onward, you can’t use JackRouter anymore. The workaround is to use a virtual audio device (Blackhole or Soundflower). There should be a bunch of threads on this list’s archives with instructions on how to set that up.

All of us macOS oldtimers miss JackRouter, which made this kind of thing much easier! But once you get used to using Blackhole, it’s pretty straightforward and works well as long as you pay careful attention to the setup details. It’s also helpful to use JMess to make routing easier.

Best,

Michael Dessen

Conrad Kehn

Mar 21, 2022, 6:16:08 PM3/21/22
to jacktrip-users
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick response. Loopback should serve the same purpose as SFlower or Blackhole, right? If so, I'm sure I can figure the routing out. If not, I'll go back and find the threads.

I was using Jmess for setup regularly and a couple months ago it just stopped loading my xml files. I wasn't sure why but I had screen shots of all of my routing setups so i was able to rebuild somewhat quickly.

Anyways....

Back to more testing.

Conrad

Michael Dessen

Mar 21, 2022, 6:28:17 PM3/21/22
to jacktri...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Loopback will also do it. I haven’t tested latency with Loopback because I don’t own it, but hopefully it is low. (Blackhole in theory is zero-latency.)

If you’re having JMess problems and can’t spot the issue, you could try sharing more detail here and someone can probably help. Good luck!

Michael
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jacktrip-users/0790a604-7cb6-4150-8d1b-549e2cbbcee7n%40googlegroups.com.

Conrad Kehn

Mar 22, 2022, 12:48:35 PM3/22/22
to jacktrip-users
I'll let you know about Jmess once I get the new routing put together.

When you say 'Archives' are you referring to a specific location or just doing specific term searches to find past threads. I did some reasonable keyword searching and am not finding quite what I am looking for. I've starred a few threads for further reading but nothing specific right now. May have to ask the forum directly.

I think I am having some trouble making my brain track all of the routing in Loopback.

From earlier threads I believe you suggested creating an aggregate device that includes both my interface and Jacktrip. Correct?

One thing that is still stumbling me, when I start Jacktrip with 4 virutal channels, and I bring it into Loopback it is just 2 channels.

Any help from anyone is always appreciated.

Conrad