Jackson 2.17.0-rc1 being released: please help testing

Tatu Saloranta

Feb 26, 2024, 10:49:30 PMFeb 26
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so I went ahead and pushed Jackson 2.17.0-rc1 out, for the most
part (Scala module will be released soon too). Everything listed on:

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson/wiki/Jackson-Release-2.17

is included. And now it'd be great to get some feedback, validation,
smoke testing -- all unit test suites obviously pass but compatibility
aspects are more difficult to test and this is where user community's
help is essential.
So if at all possible, it'd be great if you could try out how the
2.17.0-rc1 set of components fares over, say, 2.16.1.

My hope is that we do not need another release candidate and can get
2.17.0 itself released within 4 weeks or so.

Note, tho, that this is not RC in the sense that we couldn't still add
new features -- we will still be making some additions for a week or
so. So if something didn't make it in rc1, not to worry. But we do
want to get things stable for release.

As usual, all feedback is welcome.

-+ Tatu +-

Tatu Saloranta

Mar 12, 2024, 10:26:23 PMMar 12
to jacks...@googlegroups.com
Official 2.17.0 of Jackson has been released: see release notes:

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson/wiki/Jackson-Release-2.17

There are about 100 improvements and bug fixes, so yet another big release.
As usual, please let me and other maintainers know of any new issues.

As to next steps: I plan to finally focus strongly on the infamous
Bean Property Introspection rewrite,
to make it reality for Jackson 2.18. This may mean that new features
will not be merged quite as rapidly
as I don't want to add any complexity within logic before getting it
straightened out.
This is also the last known pre-req for getting back to focus on
another infinity-project, Jackson 3.0 :)

Some of this work is to be based on discovery/documentation of
existing implementation, as
per [https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-databind/discussions/3719];
an in-progress Wiki page is:

https://github.com/FasterXML/jackson-databind/wiki/Deserializer-Discovery-2.x

but that in itself isn't much of a foundation. But with focus, I
should be able to dig deep in sources and remind myself how exactly
things (property and Creator introspection) work, in order to change
what is needed.
Ultimately this work would allow proper focus to many Record-related
issues that are worked around by patch-work of fragile work-arounds.

-+ Tatu +-

ps. I will be taking a brief break for a week, with limited access,
starting tomorrow. So I will probably not be answering questions very
quickly. Will be back around March 20, hopefully with more energy &
focused mind :)