Clutches on 92S

Patrick M

Nov 30, 2022, 6:23:34 PM11/30/22
to J/92 Owners
89173491-D47A-4129-B1F5-7D67FFCF0492.jpegCurrently have Spinlock XAS which slip and are difficult to open under load. Anyone replace theirs and if so, what did you change to? Other Spinlock, Lewmar, Antal?
Thanks
Patrick

Mark Camilleri

Nov 30, 2022, 8:11:04 PM11/30/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com

Hi Patrick, I have same, to open I take pressure off on a winch and they open easily. I recently replaced mine because they were cracked but purchased the same

Regards

Mark

Sent from Mail for Windows

Currently have Spinlock XAS which slip and are difficult to open under load. Anyone replace theirs and if so, what did you change to? Other Spinlock, Lewmar, Antal?

Thanks

Patrick

Joe Cooper

Nov 30, 2022, 8:33:05 PM11/30/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Cousin Textile clutch
Easy on line
Open under max load
Low profile
No lever arms to step on and break
A bit more money than metal
Lighter

2 pesos worth
Coop

Dan Stone

Dec 1, 2022, 10:06:10 AM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I went with the next size up spinlocks myself and they have worked well.  For me, being able to release it quickly is important when things are going wrong... not that that ever happens ;-)...

Dan Stone
Triple Play J/92 #9

Paolo Ciceroni

Dec 1, 2022, 11:09:45 AM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
You can change the moulds of them spare parts are available in every shop.
Paolo Ciceroni from Italy

George Cushing

Dec 1, 2022, 4:42:33 PM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
New set of Anatals.  Old ones succumbed to UV. Work fine.

John Madey

Dec 1, 2022, 5:04:44 PM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
The XAS does that. I have them for the furler and tack lines and can be a pain to release. Make sure you have the correct size jaws for you line. I went up a size and it helped. When I redid my deck I went to the XTS for the haylards and no issues whatsoever.  The hole spacing is different xas to xts

John

John Attewell

Dec 1, 2022, 6:54:58 PM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Jazz has spinlock XTR for out haul, cunni, and reefing, and XX for halyards. These are pretty expensive at £350 each but they are what you need for halyards if you don’t want to use your cabin top winches to stop slippage going upwind.

John
JAZZ 9293R

Sent from my iPhone

Deirdre Mailloux

Dec 1, 2022, 8:30:49 PM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone; the slippage upwind without having to use the winches and difficulty opening when under load are the two issues I am looking to resolve.
Will see what budget allows!
patrick

Andy Oeftering

Dec 1, 2022, 9:26:10 PM12/1/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I highly recommend you ditch the clutch for a Ronstan Rope Constrictor.  Had issues all the time with halyards slipping in the clutch, typically at the worst possible moment.  Life and race results changed dramatically when I tossed the clutches ( I don’t care who make them the all slip) and got rope constrictors for main and jib halyards.    I kept the classic clutch for spins because they blow easier than constrictors. But spins halyards never slip.  At least mine never did.   Here’s what I’m talking about.

Ronstan Constrictor Textile Rope Clutch Single 12mm Rope