1 GM 10 shifter knob?

john aellen

Aug 16, 2022, 4:23:05 PM8/16/22
to J/92 Owners
Hey gang.  The black shifter knob ( forward/reverse) popped off unexpectedly and rolled ( yes of course) overboard.  Does anyone know where to find a replacement?

Thanks,

J Aellen
Dragonfly #28

Todd Aven

Aug 16, 2022, 4:38:14 PM8/16/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
When mine rotted away, I was unable to find a new replacement. I ended up getting the newer version of the Morse control. The fit was not an exact match, but it was workable.

Morse Ch2100P Single Lever side Mount Sail Boat Engine Control ($209 on sale now at go2marine).

On Aug 16, 2022, at 4:18 PM, john aellen <jpae...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey gang.  The black shifter knob ( forward/reverse) popped off unexpectedly and rolled ( yes of course) overboard.  Does anyone know where to find a replacement?

Thanks,

J Aellen
Dragonfly #28

john aellen

Aug 16, 2022, 5:00:39 PM8/16/22
to J/92 Owners
Thanks for the info.  But just to confirm, the original unit was made by Morse?

John

Todd Aven

Aug 16, 2022, 5:25:20 PM8/16/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Morse or teleflex. Not really sure.

I didn’t have to replace the cables. Just the shifter unit including the cable actuator assembly.

On Aug 16, 2022, at 4:55 PM, john aellen <jpae...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the info.  But just to confirm, the original unit was made by Morse?

John Madey

Aug 16, 2022, 5:49:33 PM8/16/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Auto parts store jegs.com or summit racing.  I got a 5speed Hurst. Get one that has a couple of adapters for the threads

When I redid my deck I used the Spinlock shift/ throttle. It uses a winch handle to accurate.

John

Jack NELSON jr

Aug 16, 2022, 7:17:54 PM8/16/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Is it true you have to upgrade to the Morse or teleflex and then buy and install the spinlock so you can have a quick release handle?  Thanks, jd

Sent from my iPhone

John Madey

Aug 16, 2022, 10:03:52 PM8/16/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I reused the cables that I had with the factory throttle. When I redid the deck I filled all the holes so I don’t think the cutouts are the same.

Winch handle works. Push it in to work only the throttle otherwise just push forward or back.

I think the original was Teleflex which is now sea star.

On Aug 16, 2022, at 6:17 PM, 'Jack NELSON jr' via J/92 Owners <j92o...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Is it true you have to upgrade to the Morse or teleflex and then buy and install the spinlock so you can have a quick release handle?  Thanks, jd
Message has been deleted

Paolo Ciceroni

Aug 19, 2022, 7:33:56 AM8/19/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I think you can use a plastic ball, you made a hole in it and a good epoxi glue fix It to the lever.
Paolo, from Italy.

Il ven 19 ago 2022, 12:02 john aellen <jpae...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Seems to me that the main problem is that the threaded part of the knob is simply bored into the plastic and that over time, the threads just deteriorate to a point where they become stripped altogether.   would be nice to find one with a metal threaded insert. - but the question is what diameter? and ( 3/8, 7/16) ? and what the thread count is - 24?  32?

I suppose I could go to the local hardware store and buy a couple of hex nuts and figure it out  . . . .

Dragonfly #28

John Madey

Aug 21, 2022, 4:27:30 PM8/21/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I just measured it the thread is 3/8-24. BTW I have my old shifter with the OE ball plastic is a little sun burned but functions perfectly. No neutral safety switch. No reasonable offer refused

John

On Aug 19, 2022, at 6:34 AM, Paolo Ciceroni <grecoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted

Mark Wessel

Aug 23, 2022, 8:03:48 AM8/23/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Or use a thread pitch gauge they are like $5.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 19, 2022, at 05:02, john aellen <jpae...@gmail.com> wrote:

Seems to me that the main problem is that the threaded part of the knob is simply bored into the plastic and that over time, the threads just deteriorate to a point where they become stripped altogether.   would be nice to find one with a metal threaded insert. - but the question is what diameter? and ( 3/8, 7/16) ? and what the thread count is - 24?  32?

John’s Contraptions

Aug 23, 2022, 10:20:00 AM8/23/22
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I just checked McMaster and looks like a couple of different diameters, plastic starts at $2-$4

John

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 7:03 AM john aellen <jpae...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks John.    I had guessed 3/8 24 since most of the teleflex / Sea Star control knobs have that bore.   Some are just cut directly into the resin and others have a brass threaded sleeve.   Defender and other suppliers have them for less than $20, but one could always go to a speed shop and pay big bucks for a skull / crossbones or other Herst shifter knob!  I'll just stick to the cheapie for now.

Dragonfly #28
Annapolis, MD

john aellen

Sep 6, 2022, 12:43:49 PM9/6/22
to J/92 Owners
Here's what I bought on ebay;   the thread is definitely 3/8  X 24.  Defender sells them too.  I liked this one since it has a metal threaded insert.  Some of the cheaper replacements are just bored into the plastic ball.