North Code Zero for sale FOR J92S

Grizzly

Oct 29, 2017, 6:01:04 PM10/29/17
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I bought a new Code Zero sail from North for my J92S a few years ago.  I flew it twice in light air just to see what it looked like, but have not used it since and I realize I am unlikely to use it.  I’d like to sell it to help fund the purchase of a new main.

The sail is currently at the local North loft (in Toronto) and has just been inspected.  I can supply to interested purchasers: (i) original bill of sale; (ii) measurement certificate from North; and (iii) current condition report from North loft.

I’ll sell the sail for 50% of what I paid for it, shipping included to anywhere in the lower 48 USA states or Canada.

Contact me if interested.

Esteve Viñolas

Oct 30, 2017, 2:01:05 AM10/30/17
to J/92 Owners
Hi, can you provide me measures? Just to check if its suitable for j92 classic

Guy Stansell

Oct 30, 2017, 3:46:27 AM10/30/17
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Morning,

I have a J92s in the Uk, funny enough I blew out my Code 0 this weekend which is beyond repair......can you forward over the details please...thanks

Grizzly

Oct 30, 2017, 4:23:37 AM10/30/17
to J/92 Owners
Thanks for the replies. I will send the details to all interested parties as soon as I can but it will be about a week before I’m back home to access the necessary files.

Grizzly

Nov 7, 2017, 4:03:52 PM11/7/17
to J/92 Owners
All,

Attached is the North Sails page describing my Code Zero which I would like to sell.  A virtually new sail at half the original (2013) price.  Please contact me if interested.
J92S Code Zero North Brochure.pdf

Grizzly

Nov 27, 2017, 1:37:22 PM11/27/17
to J/92 Owners
Bump - this sail is still for sale. Great value for an almost new North Code Zero for J92S.

Esteve Viñolas

Nov 28, 2017, 5:52:26 AM11/28/17
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunatly no fitting 100% for J92classic

Bump - this sail is still for sale.  Great value for an almost new North Code Zero for J92S.

Grizzly

Dec 9, 2017, 4:20:00 PM12/9/17
to J/92 Owners
Bump - lots of interest in this sail, but so far no one has made an offer.

jwhj92s

Feb 1, 2018, 3:57:08 PM2/1/18
to J/92 Owners
I have a 92S and am interested in your A0.  Did you need to add a bobstay to your sprit?  Did you use a roller furler?  What was your experience the 2 times you used it?

Grizzly

Feb 1, 2018, 10:48:26 PM2/1/18
to J/92 Owners
No bobstay. Tacks to the sprit and sheets a bit aft of midship. In my limited experience it is primarily a lighter air sail designed to sail closer to the wind than a conventional asymmetric spin like my A2 and it has a fairly narrow range of angles it can be used.

Grizzly

Feb 1, 2018, 10:49:24 PM2/1/18
to J/92 Owners
Sorry forgot to also say no furler. Not necessary in my opinion.

Mark Camilleri

Feb 13, 2020, 3:36:29 PM2/13/20
to J/92 Owners
Hi Grizzly

do you still have this code 0 for sale please ?

Regards

Grizzly

Feb 13, 2020, 11:03:39 PM2/13/20
to J/92 Owners
This North A0 sail is still unsold.  It is for a J92S, and has been seldom flown.

Mark Camilleri

Feb 14, 2020, 1:15:54 AM2/14/20
to J/92 Owners
So does it fit a classic J92?

Grizzly

Feb 16, 2020, 10:35:25 PM2/16/20
to J/92 Owners
Sorry no it won’t.

jgf

Feb 18, 2020, 9:48:27 PM2/18/20
to J/92 Owners

If this sail is available  - i am interested
jeff

Chris W

Mar 20, 2020, 4:40:24 PM3/20/20
to J/92 Owners
Can you please contact me if still available. Thank you. Six three one 987 five 376.

Chris

Message has been deleted

Mark Camilleri

Grizzly

May 17, 2020, 10:28:18 AM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Two more questions asked:

1.  Is this sail for a J92S.  Answer: Yes.  I changed the title of this thread to make this clear since the question has been asked (and answered) previously.
2.  "I have another question, can you tell me how you fixed the Bobstay on the retracting Bowsprit?"
My boat does not have a bobstay - it is the factory sloop rig.  The Code Zero spinnaker, as told to me by the North rep who sold me the sail, is primarily designed for light to medium air sailing so no bobstay should be necessary.   However, I have not used the sail in anything other than very light air and there may be other opinions on this subject.

Mark Camilleri

May 17, 2020, 2:42:35 PM5/17/20
to J/92 Owners
Hi Grizzly

I am looking to buy a Code 0 for my J/92 . I have been advised to install a Bobstay. The Code 0 might force the Bowsprit to bend upward, so would need to hold it down by having wire attached to the bowsprit and the hull in front so that it prevents it from bending up.

Regards

Mark

Todd Aven

May 17, 2020, 2:50:16 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
I pushed my Code 0 pretty hard and never needed a bobstay. The sprit and its support are pretty robust.

Bob Johnston

May 17, 2020, 2:56:20 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Same here (but like Todd's, a 92 not 92S).  I had a bobstay but it didn't stay that tight and probably wasn't helping much.

Bob J.

(Formerly #18)

Mark Camilleri

May 17, 2020, 3:07:50 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
good to know thank you.

--
Mark Camilleri
00356 99404089

Mark Camilleri

May 17, 2020, 3:11:05 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Interesting thanks Bob. how did you attach the Bobstay to the bowsprit? did you just loop it on before hauling it out ?

Philipp Gläser

May 17, 2020, 3:27:19 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
We have a bobstay on our J/92s. Previous owner fitted it after buying a Code 0.
It's a dyneema strop with a normal loop splice on the end that goes to the fitting at the bottom on the stem and an adjustable loop splice that goes to the end of the boom. Last year we always struggled to get the right length. When it’s too short you can’t extract the full length of the boom. When it’s too long it just does nothing.
So in the end we did not use it at all last year (our first season). Will try play around with it this year. Can take a picture of the set up if anybody cares.

Mark Camilleri

May 17, 2020, 4:03:12 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp thank you for the information. Yes if you can take some pictures it would be great.

I have seen one J/92 that had a look pitted on the Hull. They attached a wire to the loop before leaving the pontoon and the other end was cleated temporarily to a stanchion. When about to take the Bowsprit out, the Bowman uncleated the wire and the looped end was placed around the Bowsprit. Am unsure whether it was just looped around or fixed to it somehow. Then the Bowsprit was hauled out and therefore tightened the Bobstay. They would have calculated the right length for the bobstay before. Dont think it was adjustable but i may be wrong.

Philipp

May 17, 2020, 6:13:42 PM5/17/20
to j92o...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark.
This seems exactly like what we have. We have a U-bolt fitted at the bottom of the stem. Before we go out we stick the dyneema loop through the fitting and then through itself. The loop at the pole end is big enough to go over the pole. What I didn't mention before is we have a little snap hook in the dyneema loop that we hook into the tackline fitting on the top side of the pole. That way the bobstay can't slip aft.

Sometimes we didn't put the loop over the pole but clipped the snap hook directly to the tack line fitting. Looks a bit strange with the bobstay just on one side of the pole but it works.

If you put the loop over the pole at every manoeuvre then you need a tack line block that you can unclip quickly from the fitting.

The other option would be to leave it always on and find a way to pull the bobstay up (out of the water) when the pole is retracted. Still looking for a good way for that as it seems the easiest.

Still not sure what's the best way to rig it ... still learning and keen to improve if someone has better input.

Some people say there is no need for a bobstay. I'm still still not sure. In smooth sailing conditions (flat water or bigger swell) I don't bother most of the time. But my guess is that it can be useful when sailing in choppy conditions and the boat is bouncing a lot and the Code sail is "pumping" with every wave.

Patrick M

Sep 22, 2021, 8:13:48 PM9/22/21
to J/92 Owners
Did you ever sell this?