Field Day at Grand Ridge Park

Rod Johnson

Jun 17, 2022, 12:59:14 PM6/17/22
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
To IARC members;
   Lara has managed to get permission from the City of  Issaquah, for the IARC to use Grand View Park ( in the Issaquah Highlands) for our upcoming Field Day operation on June 25, 26 .
  This park is a community gem, with restrooms, a large children's play area several picnic tables, and a large gravel surfaced walking loop trail.
 In decent weather, views from the park include the Seattle skyline, the Olympic mountains and the tops of Tiger, Squak and Cougar mountains.

Directions:  From Highlands Drive, head East ( up hill) on Park Drive NE.  Follow Park Drive uphill, past the school zone, then turn left on 25th.  The street name will change to magnolia, then turn left at Natalie Way.  There is a small parking lot on the right, or you can use on-street parking adjacent to the park.

  There are some limitations, that go with our permission to use the park, but we can work with them.
 Lara, Mihai, Gerard, Bob and I; met at the site with Aaron, from the Parks Department, Thursday morning.

We would encourage all club members to come out, set up something portable if you wish, or operate our established stations, even if just for a short time.  There is a small parking lot, and the adjacent streets seem to have adequate on-street parking

  The weather forecast for the next ten days looks quite encouraging.

A significant limitation is to prohibit driving any stakes for guy ropes ( or any other purpose)  in the ground, due to concerns with possible damage to irrigation piping.  Any guying of masts or other heavy items will need to be done with weights of some sort, and not tied off to park trees.

 The park has a large gravel surface perimeter walking trail, which is heavily used, and the interior of that enclosed area is very wet and even muddy ( like stuck mowers)  in many places, so by Field Day, it may not even be dry enough to walk on comfortably.
  We have been given permission to park two vehicles, which will have vehicle supported masts, outside the walking path at a fairly dry raised area at the north edge of the park area.  There will be no overnight 'camping', but limited staying overnight is allowed for security and continuous operation.
  Tentatively, three operating stations are being contemplated ( Digital, SSB, and CW) to be in operation.

 We will likely have two or three wire antennas likely strung into trees that are off the park area.  Self supporting vertical and/or inverted V antennas can be set up if respecting the guy rope/stake limitations.
 There are no current plans for any organized meals, and there are no picnic tables in the area we plan to be using.  If you come and plan to spend considerable time, plan on bringing a folding chair.

More information will come as plans firm up.
  Rod Johnson

KC7PBH

Jun 17, 2022, 1:52:05 PM6/17/22
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
This is good to hear.  If the weather is good I'd like to try running my station portable on the 25th.  If there is no sunshine I'll visit the club site for a while and maybe run Class E from home.  Thank you for arranging a Field Day site for the club.
73,
Brad Smith
W7ETZ

--
Your group manager is ba...@k7bwh.com

Rod Johnson

Jun 17, 2022, 2:07:46 PM6/17/22
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
In the FWIW department: Grand View park is located in Grid CN97an.  Those of you who might be contemplating operations from the park, and may wish to know that, depending upon your specific mode of operation.

Rod Johnson

Robert Velez

Jun 23, 2022, 10:57:55 AM6/23/22
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Is there a schedule of activities if any? Or just spontaneous radio operations as folks come by?

Weather looks great for this weekend's field day, will need to remember bring plenty of water and fluids as its temps are pointing up.

73,
Robert KJ7GDR

Rod Johnson

Jun 23, 2022, 11:24:17 AM6/23/22
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Robert,
  The plan is for operation to be continuous from 11am Saturday, until 11am Sunday.  You are welcome to come see what is going on, and I will encourage you to take a turn at operating our station. (Coaching happily provided if desired)
  There are no 'specific' other activities planned.
   This Field  Day operation will be pretty low key.
  Rod  Johnson