FW: Learn the key building blocks of radio!

Joe Decuir

Nov 12, 2021, 1:08:46 PM11/12/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com

This is interesting.

I propose to present material on how radios work to the club.

Perhaps the first would be basic electronics: transistors and amplifiers.

Should I go farther back and start with circuit theory?

Joe Decuir, KF7BMD

Issaquah Amateur Radio Club, W7BI.com

Issaquah CERT 0015, Zone 14

E: jde...@ieee.org

Nov 13, 2021, 8:06:21 AM11/13/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
I would like to make a plan for presentation. I have also couple of ideas we might to explore.
Would you please share your plan? I'd like to see where to fit couple of ideas.

73,
Mihai (W4MHI)

Your group manager is ba...@k7bwh.com

Joe Decuir

Nov 13, 2021, 10:36:09 AM11/13/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com

Previously, I have covered:

  • Bluetooth
  • Microcontrollers
  • FPGA
  • PCB design
  • SDR

Basically, we are a club of radio amateurs.  We should ask ourselves: what technical issues would interest them?

I want to install and test Winlink for HF and VHF.

Bob wants to know how OFDM (orthogonal frequency division modulation) works.

I  have work to do to prepared that.

I ordered this radio book from ARRL, and another book on basic electronics.

We get tested on the later in our HAM licensing exams.

IMO, we should be poling our membership for what issues they would like to learn about.

Thanks for paying attention,

Joe Decuir, KF7BMD

Issaquah Amateur Radio Club, W7BI.com

Issaquah CERT 0015, Zone 14

E: jde...@ieee.org

E: jde...@uw.edu

M: 425-985-1562

John MacDuff

Nov 14, 2021, 2:10:31 AM11/14/21
to Iarc Group
I also have a program on RF Exposure Analysis I would like to present. This details a process of analyzing your personal setup to show you meet the FCC requirements. I presented it at the last BEARS meeting. For most of us it really isn't as scary as it sounds.

John KA7TTY

Joe Decuir

Nov 14, 2021, 10:37:36 AM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com

Rod Johnson

Nov 14, 2021, 11:58:48 AM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
John,
  That sounds like a great idea for a program.  Awareness of that RF Exposure limit is something of which is in fact a now current requirement.

Mihai Manolache

Nov 14, 2021, 12:50:24 PM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
John,
My preference for January would be to get information about this subject. I think is very important to know the new regulations.

Rod Johnson

Nov 14, 2021, 1:36:48 PM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
If John has a program ready on RF Safety, that sounds great to me.
  I  believe I was scheduled to give a short talk and video display of a bunch of older ham radio gear in January, but I am very willing to slide that to a later date.  I have a lot of 'stuff' to organize and move to make space to do that, so more time would be just fine with me.
  Rod J

Rod Johnson

Nov 14, 2021, 3:52:01 PM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Joe stated:
I have space to set up a 24” vertical antenna; I also have a portable HF antenna.
I am sure glad Joe has space to set up a 24" vertical antenna Thinking face<grin>
  We all know what you mean, but I could not laugh at that typo.
  Some have HOA constraints, and some have 'other half' or 'better half'  constraints; but there is nearly always some way to get an RF signal out, although it might not be as strong as desired, or even on the band desired.

Nov 14, 2021, 3:56:40 PM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I meant 24 foot, not 24 inch…

A 24 inch antenna would be small enough to carry around.

Rubber ducks don’t work well for 80M…

Joe

From: 'Rod Johnson' via Issaquah Amateur Radio Club <issaqu...@googlegroups.com>

Rod Johnson

Nov 14, 2021, 4:21:58 PM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com
Yes, even a 24 foot antenna is narrow-banded on 80 meters.  Like with small magnetic loops, small frequency excursions nearly always require re-tuning for any reasonable efficiency.
  The more an antenna is shortened below it's natural resonant frequency physical length; in general, the more narrow banded it gets, and requires more attention to tuner settings for proper function.

  Rod Johnson

Joe Decuir

Nov 14, 2021, 8:57:28 PM11/14/21
to issaqu...@googlegroups.com

My DX-flagpole antenna required an antenna tuner in close (~2M) proximity.

There is an adaptor box in the shack, with DC passed through the coax in the 75’ conduit.

The OPEK portable antenna has to be hand adjusted in two ways:

  • Move a jumper for band adjust
  • Tweak the antenna length for fine adjust.