Replace tiller universal

Al Sargent

Jan 27, 2023, 10:20:33 PM1/27/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24
Any tips on how to replace a tiller universal on a Rooster tiller?

First photo shows my universal with some serious cracks.

Second photo is a replacement universal that I have.

If I need to replace the mount, I have a rivet gun and drill to drill out the rivets.

Thanks in advance!

2023-01-27 19.08.50.jpg

Emilio Castelli

Jan 27, 2023, 11:32:48 PM1/27/23
to Al Sargent, International Laser Class Association District 24

Don’t know about Rooster and I don’t see a second picture but last time I had to replace mine (a fatso jr.) I had to unglue it with a heat gun and then glue it back in. A true pain in the butt.

Emilio Castelli

www.castellivineyards.com

--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association - - ---District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
To join this group, email international-laser-class-ass...@googlegroups.com

image002.jpg

Tucker Strasser

Jan 27, 2023, 11:50:12 PM1/27/23
to Emilio Castelli, Al Sargent, International Laser Class Association District 24

Al Sargent

Jan 29, 2023, 9:54:07 PM1/29/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24
An update so folks here can learn from my experience:

The heat gun approach that some suggested (thank you) was a massive waste of time. Went to two hardware stores. Spent $140 on the heat gun and battery. It didn’t work.

(This was the Bauer brand of tools from Harbor Freight; getting Milwaukee from Home Depot would have been 1.5 to 2x the cost.)

Then Julian helped me. Lifesaver! First, we sawed the universal to be flush with the tiller. Then we drilled out the rubber: small drill bit at first, then progressively larger bits. Eventually all the rubber came out.

Then I slipped the new one in (thankfully it wasn’t too thick) and screwed it in with a stainless steel sheet metal screw (#8 diameter, but #6 would have worked if I had one) to fasten.

I feel better with a shaft going in than trusting in friction. Also this avoids expensive, specialized tools that are hard to find at a regatta site.

Happy to answer any more questions if anyone has them.

--
Discussion forum for International Laser Class Association - - ---District 24, covering northern California and Nevada. Topics should include all things (ILCA) Laser and not idle chit chat which should be taken offline from this forum. This site is rated PG.
To join this group, email international-laser-class-ass...@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "International Laser Class Association District 24" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/international-laser-class-association-district-24/CAP8fJnynbyp7BJujwEyOGNJ8Ho61MxsiFYXwbixuDT6ZLg5doA%40mail.gmail.com.

Al Sargent

Jan 29, 2023, 11:39:48 PM1/29/23
to International Laser Class Association District 24

The final result!

david lapier

Jan 31, 2023, 11:59:59 AM1/31/23
to Al Sargent, International Laser Class Association District 24
You can also saw off the universal flush (as described above), then end-for-end the hiking stick and glue the universal joint in at the free end.