Issue with New Proposal Platform

Kim Gainer

Jun 2, 2021, 12:22:22 PM6/2/21
to Intellectual Property Caucus
I've started on the Sponsored Panel and have run into a frustrating glitch. I entered information for Clancy, and it was rejected with the message that her university email was "not unique." But when I searched for her name in the system's database, she didn't show up. So apparently Clancy both exists and does not exist--Schrödinger's professor!

I too am a Schrödinger's professor--my university email also is "not unique" but the platform doesn't recognize me as in the system--even though I am IN THE SYSTEM entering info for a proposal! So I had to use my gmail address.

Additionally, it won't let me edit my information even though there is a button that says 'edit'.

I do not like this platform spam.
Not even with green eggs and ham.
Not with Firefox, not with Chrome,
I'm giving up and going home.

Not really, I'll keep cudgeling my brain. But if anyone has any tips for working with this platform, let me know. If not, I'm going to ask all Sponsored Panel participants for alternative email addresses in case their university ones are rejected.

Alex, heads up for you as far as the business meeting proposal goes.

Best,

Kim

Kim Gainer

Jun 2, 2021, 12:31:12 PM6/2/21
to Intellectual Property Caucus
Ooooookay. Tried again--for the nth time--and this time the platform allows as how Clancy is in the system--with both university and email address to chose from!

And now it recognizes me as well.

Guess you just have to give its search engine a good kick.

Karen Lunsford

Jun 2, 2021, 12:45:00 PM6/2/21
to intellectual-propert.
Hi Kim,
This is partly what I meant by calling it an 'interesting' platform.  I believe that individuals have to *confirm* their profile, even if you are the one entering the information.  After that, you should be able to search by name (rather than by email). I was able to add my co-presenters for a panel that way.   Also, anyone entering the information will need to take care to push the correct button to add speakers (for the panel) versus group leaders (for the meeting).  Otherwise, we'll end up with conflicts re: multiple speaker roles.

They've grafted the CCCC onto the platform they used for the NCTE conference, and the grafting isn't complete.

Note, too, that the proposal description (4,000 characters) and proposal annotation (400 characters) each have a character countdown.

Best, Karen

Karen Lunsford, PhD
Associate Professor of Writing
Director, PhD Emphasis in Writing Studies
Writing Program, 3432 South Hall
University of California, Santa Barbara 93106-3010
klun...@writing.ucsb.edu
Pronouns: she, her, hers

Wendy Warren Austin

Jun 2, 2021, 3:00:16 PM6/2/21
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Kim,
You made my day (or rather, "night," where I am) for your Green Eggs and Ham hate  poem about their inhospitable system. In April, when I hit my roadblocks with getting into CCCC, I tried for hours (also in the middle of the night), cried, and then cursed the NCTE platform until i gave up, especially after I miscalculated when the panel would be on and saw Clancy just signing off from the Zoom only 5 minutes prior. I'll try again when I'm more alert to get recognized from NCTE.

Wendy Austin

Sent from my Huawei phone

Jeff Galin

Jun 4, 2021, 1:58:15 PM6/4/21
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
Kim,
I ran into this problem and had to use less of the name of the person to find her. I think I had to start with last name. Give it a try.
cheers,
jrg

Jeffrey R. Galin

Clancy Ratliff

Jun 4, 2021, 3:30:05 PM6/4/21
to intellectual-p...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, this is my information when I login to the system:

Clancy Ratliff
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Professor
Lafayette, LA 70503