Feature req - quickly switch configuration

Gabriel Aquilano

Feb 19, 2022, 5:19:22 AM2/19/22
to Input Director
I have 3 machines, all with ID. I'm sometimes on a wired gigabit network, sometimes on wireless with one of the machines; I would often use Spacedesk to extend one desktop onto another (like we used to with the deprecated maxivista), but - I find myself having to manually change the configuration very often. I can export and import manually each time, but it's often inconvenient. I did use autohotkey at some point to automate it a bit, but it's clunky. It would be great to have a quick way to toggle between configurations.

Shane

Feb 23, 2022, 4:52:40 PM2/23/22
to Input Director
Hi,

I’m looking to add this feature to the next major release. In terms of scope, I was looking to be able to switch a Director’s configuration between different client system configurations and monitor configurations - effectively everything found on the “Client Systems” tab.

I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts on whether this would solve for the major use cases or if the Director Preferences and Security configuration (or even Global Prefs) should also be switchable?

Regs,

Shane.

Gabriel Aquilano

Feb 24, 2022, 5:16:38 PM2/24/22
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I think that , generally speaking, the client configurations are the main thing and the other stuff would be a nice to have, but not a must.

Thinking about my use case, pretty specific: on my setup, I would sometimes pull off the cords on one of my laptops to walk around and then may sit temporarily and walk away and I don't want to reconnect everything; at home , there's a wired and wireless networks, completely isolated, but all machines are connected to both all the time; and the wired is like a 'management/Input Director/backup LAN' with no internet access) so quickly switching the preferred interface from wired to wireless on ID may prevent some lag, but it's not a big deal... it mostly works as  I use device name instead of IPs.

Steve Rumsby

Feb 25, 2022, 6:29:17 AM2/25/22
to Input Director
For me it is just the client config. I have two monitors connected to HDMI switches, and so each to one of potentially three different devices. I usually have both connected to my laptop in a 3-screen configuration, but sometimes switch one or both to other devices but want my laptop mouse/keyboard to be usable to control those other devices.

Right now it sort of works, so that "going off the left" sometimes means going off the left of the laptop screen and sometimes means going up to the monitors and then left from there. Sometimes I get odd situations where I can go up to get to another system, but coming back down ends up going somewhere else. You get used to it, but it can be mind bending, sometimes.

I'd like to be able to have different client arrangements for the different numbers of monitors connected to my laptop, to make this less confusing! If it could auto switch based on that, that would be perfect:-) I guess the client systems will also need to do the same to make it work properly?

Steve.

02c...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2022, 11:39:25 PM2/25/22
to Input Director
I've noticed the same as the previous post. The mouse can get lost really easy with several monitors and computers connected. For example: I have to hotkey a system so its mouse is centered on its monitors BEFORE I can use the mouse on another system to access a third system's monitors. Whenever I get stuck in a mouse looping around the monitors or altogether missing, I press a hotkey sequence on one or more systems to re-center that mouse and all works fine again. It almost seems like InputDirector forgets which client layout to use when the mouse switches to another computer's monitors. It is like it tends to borrow the new clients layout as its own for a bit, but I can't really tell if that is what is happening. I made all systems use the same basic layout, but I usually have the change the layout when working from certain machines to keep them behaving in an expected fashion.

Clifton

Gabriel Aquilano

Feb 26, 2022, 10:41:36 AM2/26/22
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
not sure if the same case, but - the 'looping' behavior I notice occurs specifically when say, you have 3 systems, A, B and C. I control everything from A, but may sometimes do it from B. If I'm controlling system C from system B (even with the exact same layout configured), and then I jump back to system A, whenever I try to jump to B it loops back within A, because B is still in 'Director' mode, controlling C. Even with different layouts, I can think of similar situations. I don't know if ths is your case, but the bug kind of 'makes sense'. I wouldn't call it a feature lol but I understand why that happens. may that be your case?

02c...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2022, 1:51:49 PM3/8/22
to Input Director
Exactly the same problem I'm having as I mentioned earlier and as claified by the previous post.

Jolly

Mar 10, 2022, 12:57:35 PM3/10/22
to input-d...@googlegroups.com
I'd pay for someone to write a script for me to automatically detect the number of monitors I have (on both a guest and a client) and switch profiles.

I'm often switching between a few different physical configs.

Ideally I'd be able to do the following:
1 or 2 monitors attached to the host? = Disable Input Director. (PC is attached to the TV/couch monitors, guest is not visible)
3 monitors on host? = config A for host, Config A for guest (guest is using two monitors)
4 monitors on host = config B for host, config B for guest (guest is now using 1 monitor)

-Jolly

p.s. I love the new resizable monitor option!

jo...@ajollylife.com

Mar 17, 2023, 9:09:41 PM3/17/23
to Input Director
If it helps anyone else:  Batch script, to change input director configs based on how many monitors are connected to the host.
My batch script, which I have triggered via a task scheduler task tied to the Kernel-PnP source with eventID 1010 ( i'm usually switching monitors by unplugging and replugging in different cables)

-Jolly

cls
title Switch Input Director Settings
REM ******************START MAKE SURE WE HAVE ADMIN RIGHTS***************
:init
setlocal DisableDelayedExpansion
set cmdInvoke=1
set winSysFolder=System32
set "batchPath=%~0"
for %%k in (%0) do set batchName=%%~nk
set "vbsGetPrivileges=%temp%\OEgetPriv_%batchName%.vbs"
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

:checkPrivileges
NET FILE 1>NUL 2>NUL
if '%errorlevel%' == '0' ( goto gotPrivileges ) else ( goto getPrivileges )

:getPrivileges
if '%1'=='ELEV' (echo ELEV & shift /1 & goto gotPrivileges)
ECHO Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO args = "ELEV " >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO For Each strArg in WScript.Arguments >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO args = args ^& strArg ^& " "  >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO Next >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
if '%cmdInvoke%'=='1' goto InvokeCmd
ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "!batchPath!", args, "", "runas", 1 >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
goto ExecElevation

:InvokeCmd
ECHO args = "/c """ + "!batchPath!" + """ " + args >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
ECHO UAC.ShellExecute "%SystemRoot%\%winSysFolder%\cmd.exe", args, "", "runas", 1 >> "%vbsGetPrivileges%"
:ExecElevation
"%SystemRoot%\%winSysFolder%\WScript.exe" "%vbsGetPrivileges%" %*
exit /B

:gotPrivileges
setlocal & cd /d %~dp0
if '%1'=='ELEV' (del "%vbsGetPrivileges%" 1>nul 2>nul  &  shift /1)

 REM ******************END MAKE SURE WE HAVE ADMIN RIGHTS***************
REM %TEMP%\dxdiag.txt /q /f >nul 2>nul
start "" /w dxdiag /t %TEMP%\dxdiag.txt

for /f "tokens=3" %%f in ('find /c"Monitor Name:" %TEMP%\dxdiag.txt') do set MONITOR_COUNT=%%f

echo %DATE% %TIME% %MONITOR_COUNT% >> c:\temp\moncount.log

net stop InputDirector
tskill inputdirector /A

if %MONITOR_COUNT% == 0 (
echo zero  monitor connected
GOTO END
)

if %MONITOR_COUNT% == 1 (
echo one  monitor connected
GOTO END
)

if %MONITOR_COUNT% == 2 (
echo two  monitor connected
GOTO END
)

if %MONITOR_COUNT% == 3 (
echo third  monitor connected
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Input Director" /v MasterMonitorGrid /f /d "01/02/0/0/N/0,11,18,22,+00/0,0,18,11,+01/" /reg:32
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Input Director" /v MasterMonitorLayout /f /d "01/03/18/0/N/0,11,18,22,+00/0,0,18,11,+01/18,2,36,19,+02/" /reg:32

)

if %MONITOR_COUNT% == 4 (
echo fourth  monitor connected
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Input Director" /v MasterMonitorGrid /f /d "01/01/0/0/N/0,0,18,11,+00/" /reg:32
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Input Director" /v MasterMonitorLayout /f /d "01/04/0/0/N/18,11,36,22,+00/18,0,36,11,+01/36,2,54,19,+02/0,11,18,22,+03/" /reg:32
)
sc start InputDirector
start "inputdirector" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Input Director\InputDirector.exe" /MIN /hide

:END