makemk: cannot open /usr/inferno/mkfiles/mkhost-Linux: No such file

Paul Dufresne

Jun 26, 2021, 9:34:34 AM6/26/21
to inferno-os
Ok, I feel like I must be the guy really not even to begin compiling inferno-os.

I downloaded and uncompressed (to /):

I "sudo mkdir /usr/inferno", and "sudo chown o+w /usr/inferno".

But:
paul@kasparno:/inferno$ ./makemk.sh
./makemk.sh: 32: ./mkconfig: cannot open /usr/inferno/mkfiles/mkhost-Linux: No such file
./makemk.sh: 33: ./mkconfig: cannot open /usr/inferno/mkfiles/mkfile-Linux-386: No such file
removing old libraries and binaries
./makemk.sh: 50: cd: can't cd to /usr/inferno/utils/libregexp
cannot find libregexp directory
paul@kasparno:/inferno$

I don' understand why it expects to alread find files there ready.

Anthony Sorace

Jun 26, 2021, 9:57:38 AM6/26/21
to inferno-os
Those files are included in the distribution. Typically you unpack the distribution into /usr/inferno or such. Do you now have a /dis in your host system?

Paul Dufresne

Jun 26, 2021, 10:13:31 AM6/26/21
to inferno-os
No /dis on Ubuntu 21.04... but I think I found the initial problem...
Looks like that mkconfig, ROOT must be where you decompressed the archive, not where you want it installed.
Seems it always build on itself... seems not very good, but ... why not.

But after that I now get:
paul@kasparno:/inferno$ ./makemk.sh
removing old libraries and binaries
gcc -c -I/inferno/Linux/386/include -I/inferno/include -I/inferno/utils/include regaux.c regcomp.c regerror.c regexec.c regsub.c rregexec.c rregsub.c
In file included from regaux.c:1:
/inferno/Linux/386/include/lib9.h:13:10: fatal error: features.h: No such file or directory
   13 | #include <features.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
In file included from regcomp.c:1:
/inferno/Linux/386/include/lib9.h:13:10: fatal error: features.h: No such file or directory
   13 | #include <features.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.

... and other similar missing features.h.

Paul Dufresne

Jun 26, 2021, 10:29:09 AM6/26/21
to inferno-os
Oops, sorry, my bad!
I had a gcc link on my DJGPP cross compiler on my path... fixed that.

And now after ./mkmake.sh I got it:
paul@kasparno:/inferno$ ls Linux/386/bin/
mk
paul@kasparno:/inferno$