NATURALIZED :: Fabaceae (pea, or legume family) » Indigofera suffruticosa

Dinesh Valke

May 28, 2010, 3:26:15 PM5/28/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Fabaceae (pea, or legume family) » Indigofera suffruticosa (syn. Anila tinctoria, Indigofera anil)
... also placed in Papilionaceae

in-dee-GO-fer-uh -- bearing indigo
suf-roo-tee-KO-sa -- somewhat shrubby

commonly known as: Guatemalan indigo, anil, small-leaved indigo, West Indian indigo, wild indigo • Hindi: विलायती नील vilayati nil • Marathi: निळंबी nilambi • Sanskrit: नीलिका nilika, नीलिनी nilini, विषशोधनी vishashodhani • Tamil: சீமைநீலி cimai-nili

Native to: tropical Americas, naturalized in paleotropics

 • NPGS / GRIN ... http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?20058
 • FAO ... http://www.fao.org/ag/AGP/agpc/doc/gbase/data/Pf000523.HTM
 • M.M.P.N.D. ... http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Indigofera.html
 • DDSA ... http://dsal.uchicago.edu/dictionaries/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Views attached from:
... Vaghbil, Thane

For more views: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Indigoferasuffruticosa&w=91314344%40N00&m=tags

Regards.
4022568754_af6db30d23_b.jpg
2682554864_bce03763cb_b.jpg
2702451391_0ec6280e8b_b.jpg
2964154931_6d42715aab_o.jpg
4021800411_e41d185da0_b.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 28, 2010, 9:44:13 PM5/28/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Good to see so many species of Indigofera on a single day.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

tanay bose

May 29, 2010, 12:06:39 AM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Nice collection of Indigofera species !!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

May 29, 2010, 11:06:20 PM5/29/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
Could this be I. tinctoria
Leaflets are too few (I can see nine) for I. suffruticosa
Pods are too long for suffruticosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
... you query is as good as mine.
Me too have observed this confusing statements in few sites.
Will post this query soon.

Regards.

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Dr. Hari Venkatesh.K.Rajaraman <ayurhari...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Dinesh ji...Superb photos...
in a few references i get I.suffruticosa, I.tinctoria, I.anil,I.indica, I.sumatrana, I.arrecta as synonyms...pls clarify. . .

It is called seemeneeli in Kannada

Medicinally used in Rheumatism. . .

--
Dr. Hari Venkatesh. K. Rajaraman
                           M.D. (Ay).P.G.D.H.M.

Dinesh Valke

May 29, 2010, 11:40:49 PM5/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, efloraofindia
... many thanks for raising your doubts, Gurcharan ji.
Other friends who are familiar with Indigo species may also please put in facts.

The plant in photograph grows in my vicinity, in estuarine area.
The height is just about (hardly) a metre ... and grows as wide too.

The pods we see here are about 4 - 5 cm long, and about 3 mm wide.

Regards.

J.M. Garg

Jun 13, 2010, 2:22:19 AM6/13/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Prashant awale, Tabish

Earlier relevant feedback:

Could this be I. tinctoria

Leaflets are too few (I can see nine) for I. suffruticosa
Pods are too long for suffruticosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh”

“... many thanks for raising your doubts, Gurcharan ji.

Other friends who are familiar with Indigo species may also please put in facts.

The plant in photograph grows in my vicinity, in estuarine area.
The height is just about (hardly) a metre ... and grows as wide too.

The pods we see here are about 4 - 5 cm long, and about 3 mm wide.” from Dinesh ji.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

4022568754_af6db30d23_b.jpg
2682554864_bce03763cb_b.jpg
2702451391_0ec6280e8b_b.jpg
2964154931_6d42715aab_o.jpg
4021800411_e41d185da0_b.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 18, 2019, 4:12:14 AM7/18/19
to efloraofindia
Many thanks Gurcharan ji. Just as per your thoughts, this ID is resolved to Indigofera tinctoria based on discussion in a recent post of Alka ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jul 18, 2019, 4:42:41 AM7/18/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 1,70,000 images are directly displayed).