ID no. 300711TS01 - Tree ID request

Thejaswi Shivanand

Jul 30, 2011, 5:21:54 AM7/30/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I photographed this tree in fruit at Savandurga hill, near Magadi about 60 km west of Bangalore on 28th July. The tree was one of many in a cluster in rocky habitat; not very large - about 4-6 m in height, with opposite, elliptic leaves, with mature ones 6-8 cm long, and orange fruit about 1-1.5 cm across. The skin of the fruit had a fibrous inner layer, and transluscent, watery pulp (with the consistency of litchi pulp, also reminded me of Cordia) surrounded a single stone (the pulp was slightly sour). The leaves of some trees were infested with galls on the upper surface. I'd be grateful for any help in identification.

regards

Thejaswi Shivanand

--
Thejaswi Shivanand

http://www.cfl.in

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."

Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"

--
Thejaswi Shivanand

http://www.cfl.in

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."

Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"
ID300710TS01.JPG

Smilax004

Jul 30, 2011, 5:45:19 AM7/30/11
to Thejaswi Shivanand, indiantreepix
I think it is Myristica malabarica of Myristicaceae family.

Please cross check with any flora. Please cut open the fruit as see
whether the seeds are red arillated and when you make a cut on the
bark there would be red sap oozing out.

http://www.biotik.org/india/species/m/myrimala/myrimala_en.html

Regards,
Giby

On Jul 30, 2:21 pm, Thejaswi Shivanand <dumak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I photographed this tree in fruit at Savandurga hill, near Magadi about 60
> km west of Bangalore on 28th July. The tree was one of many in a cluster in
> rocky habitat; not very large - about 4-6 m in height, with opposite,
> elliptic leaves, with mature ones 6-8 cm long, and orange fruit about 1-1.5
> cm across. The skin of the fruit had a fibrous inner layer, and
> transluscent, watery pulp (with the consistency of litchi pulp, also

> reminded me of *Cordia*) surrounded a single stone (the pulp was slightly

> sour). The leaves of some trees were infested with galls on the upper
> surface. I'd be grateful for any help in identification.
>
> regards
>
> Thejaswi Shivanand
>
> --
> Thejaswi Shivanand
>
> http://www.cfl.in
>
> "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad
> to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones
> who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like
> fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and
> in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."
>
> Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"
>
> --
> Thejaswi Shivanand
>
> http://www.cfl.in
>
> "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad
> to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones
> who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like
> fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and
> in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."
>
> Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"
>

>  ID300710TS01.JPG
> 176KViewDownload

Smilax004

Jul 30, 2011, 5:52:59 AM7/30/11
to Thejaswi Shivanand, indiantreepix

But your description about fruits, opposite leaves and the place it is
collected provoked my thoughts and made me rethink. Now I don't think
that it is Myristica. Let me check it again.
Do you have a close up of leaves and fruit by any chance?

Regards,
Giby

On Jul 30, 2:21 pm, Thejaswi Shivanand <dumak...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I photographed this tree in fruit at Savandurga hill, near Magadi about 60
> km west of Bangalore on 28th July. The tree was one of many in a cluster in
> rocky habitat; not very large - about 4-6 m in height, with opposite,
> elliptic leaves, with mature ones 6-8 cm long, and orange fruit about 1-1.5
> cm across. The skin of the fruit had a fibrous inner layer, and
> transluscent, watery pulp (with the consistency of litchi pulp, also

> reminded me of *Cordia*) surrounded a single stone (the pulp was slightly

> sour). The leaves of some trees were infested with galls on the upper
> surface. I'd be grateful for any help in identification.
>
> regards
>
> Thejaswi Shivanand
>
> --
> Thejaswi Shivanand
>
> http://www.cfl.in
>
> "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad
> to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones
> who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like
> fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and
> in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."
>
> Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"
>
> --
> Thejaswi Shivanand
>
> http://www.cfl.in
>
> "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad
> to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones
> who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like
> fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and
> in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh..."
>
> Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"
>

>  ID300710TS01.JPG
> 176KViewDownload

Thejaswi Shivanand

Jul 30, 2011, 5:06:38 AM7/30/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I photographed this tree in fruit at Savandurga hill, near Magadi about 60 km west of Bangalore on 28th July. The tree was one of many in a cluster in rocky habitat; not very large - about 4-6 m in height, with opposite leaves, and orange fruit about 1-1.5 cm across. The skin of the fruit had a fibrous inner layer, and transluscent, watery pulp (with the consistency of litchi pulp, reminded me of Cordia) surrounded a single stone (the pulp was slightly sour). The leaves of some trees were infested with galls on the upper surface. I'd be grateful for any help in identification.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 23, 2011, 12:16:31 AM9/23/11
to efloraofindia, Thejaswi, Giby Kuriakose, Mahadeswara, Vijayasankar Raman
Resurfacing again for Id

Earlier feedback

Giby ji................................................I think it is Myristica malabarica of Myristicaceae family.

Please cross check with any flora. Please cut open the fruit as see
whether the seeds are red arillated and when you make a cut on the
bark there would be red sap oozing out.

But your description about fruits, opposite leaves and the place it is
collected provoked my thoughts and made me rethink. Now I don't think
that it is Myristica. Let me check it again.
Do you have a close up of leaves and fruit by any chance?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

H S

Sep 23, 2011, 2:16:07 AM9/23/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Thejaswi, Giby Kuriakose, Mahadeswara, Vijayasankar Raman
yes even i think Myristica malabarica,

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Vijayasankar

Sep 23, 2011, 1:15:02 PM9/23/11
to H S, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Thejaswi, Giby Kuriakose, Mahadeswara
It doesn't look like Myristica to me. If at all, then it may be M. fragrance for the shape and texture of fruits, and not M. malabarica for sure. But, the description of fruit and leaf provided by Tejasvi ji, leads more to Ximenia americana. A clearer picture of fruits and leaves would help to confirm the id.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh