Solanum violaceae

Rashida Atthar

Oct 30, 2010, 2:59:30 AM10/30/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Fruiting and flowering of Solanum violaceae seen at Amboli, Mah. in Sep. '10. Was informed that this species was known earlier by some other name.  Hope id is correct!.

regards,
Rashida.
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2473.JPG
Solanum violaceae flowers and leaves.JPG
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2471.JPG
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2472.JPG

Joshi Pankaj

Oct 30, 2010, 3:05:32 AM10/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
RashidaJi,
If possible please also attached close-up photographs of fruits.
Thanx

Pankaj N. Joshi, Ph.D
Scientist
Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE)
Post Box # 83, Opp. Changleshwar Temple,
Mundra Road, Bhuj- Kachchh
Gujarat: 370 001 (India)
Phone: +91 2832 235025, 329408; Fax: 235027
Cell: +91 94269 49523
Optional E-mail: pranav...@rediffmail.com

Oct 30, 2010, 8:19:22 AM10/30/10
to Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Very sorry for the incorrect spelling throughout my post. It should either be Solanum violaceum or Solanum violacea.

regards,
Rashida

tanay bose

Oct 30, 2010, 10:16:21 AM10/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice catch Rashida Ji
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 30, 2010, 10:35:52 AM10/30/10
to tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
Could you kindly indicate the size of ripe fruits. Also where the flowers white or some tinge of blue/violet?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Rashida Atthar

Oct 30, 2010, 11:57:20 AM10/30/10
to Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir, the fruits were tiny as seen in the pics. I had a very brief look at them should be around 2cm. The flowers petals are light purple as seen in the second pic.

regards,
Rashida.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 30, 2010, 12:45:00 PM10/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, tanay bose, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida ji
To me it does not look like S. violaceum which has recurved prickles with much broadened base and violet-blue flowers.
For me the closest match seems to be S. capsicoides with straight slender prickles, densely prickly fruiting calyx and orange-red ripe fruits. Let us wait for more inputs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Yazdy Palia

Oct 30, 2010, 2:58:42 PM10/30/10
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rashida Ji , I think you are mistaking the diameter, 2 cms is very
big. If I am not wrong it is around 6 mm and the flowers are purple in
colour. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Regards
Yazdy.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Rashida Atthar

Rashida Atthar

Oct 31, 2010, 1:04:34 AM10/31/10
to Yazdy Palia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yazdy ji, yes flowers light purple, fruit 6mm would be too small ! . Perhaps more than 6mm but less  than 2cm - if that is not confusing enough !!

regards,
Rashida.

Yazdy Palia

Oct 31, 2010, 4:26:08 AM10/31/10
to Rashida Atthar, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose, Joshi Pankaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank You Rashida Ji, The only reason I suggested 6 mm, is because , I
have seen such solanum at my place, measured them to be around 6mm to
7 mm. The only difference between the plants that I have seen and your
pictures is the number of spines. So I guess I am wrong.
Regards
Yazdy.

J.M. Garg

Solanum violaceae flowers and leaves.JPG
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2471.JPG
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2472.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 14, 2020, 7:25:07 AM11/14/20
to efloraofindia
Forwarding again for ID
Distributed as  Solanum capsicoides ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 14, 2020, 7:26:17 AM11/14/20
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Forwarding again for ID
Distributed as  Solanum capsicoides ?
Group discussion at

Solanum violaceae flowers and leaves.JPG
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2471.JPG
Solanum violaceaeIMG_2472.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Nov 14, 2020, 7:46:46 AM11/14/20
to efloraindia
I guess it is matching with  Solanum capsicoides!
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju