Identification required.- Location: Kulgam j & k.

J.M. Garg

Jun 11, 2021, 4:57:43 AM6/11/21
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Saroj Kasaju
Habit:Small herb.
Flowers :star shaped yellow coloured
Location:Kulgam j&k.- from Shakir ji

Vincetoxicum hirundinaria Medik.
Thank you.
Saroj Kasaju

We have Vincetoxicum canescens-  Here in Kashmir as per efloraofindia- from Shakir ji

You have this sp. also in JK !
Thank you.
Saroj Kasaju

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 11, 2021, 12:24:54 PM6/11/21
to efloraofindia
It is V. hirundinaria with corolla glabrous inside, In V. canescens it is densely hairy inside. Both occur in Kashmir.

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 11, 2021, 12:34:37 PM6/11/21
to efloraindia
Thank you Gurucharan Sir !
Saroj Kasaju

Shakir Ahmad (Amateur Taxonomist)

Jun 11, 2021, 12:46:13 PM6/11/21
to efloraofindia

J.M. Garg

Jun 19, 2021, 12:05:14 PM6/19/21
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Saroj Kasaju, GurcharanSingh
Corolla lobes are not clearly focussed in the images, but I see some hairs.
Hi, Shakir ji,
May I request you to pl. post a clear image showing the corolla lobes and an image showing its calyx.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 19, 2021, 12:42:55 PM6/19/21
to efloraofindia

Jun 20, 2021, 1:57:19 AM6/20/21
to efloraindia
Going through the images in efi site I still fill this should be Vincetoxicum hirundinaria Medik. !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2021, 2:09:00 AM6/20/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, saadiks...@gmail.com
Can not say until we see a clear image showing the corolla lobes and an image showing its calyx.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 20, 2021, 2:14:51 AM6/20/21
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, saadiks...@gmail.com
You do not see even a single hair on the corolla lobes at

Vincetoxicum hirundinaria subsp. hirundinaria

While there are many in the posted image by Shakir ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2021, 4:21:13 AM6/26/21
to efloraofindia
School of Life sciences,Central University of Kashmir,Ganderbal, J&K, India
--

On Sun, 20 Jun, 2021, 6:50 pm J.M. Garg, <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see lot of hairs on corolla loves.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Sun, 20 Jun, 2021, 6:40 pm Shakir Ahmad (Amateur Taxonomist), <saadiks...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hairs are missing inside the corolla tube.

Regards,
Shakir Ahmad.
M.sc  Botany.
Department of Botany,
School of Life sciences,Central University of Kashmir,Ganderbal, J&K, India

With regards,
J.M.Garg
IMG_20210620_191453.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2021, 4:22:16 AM6/26/21
to efloraofindia

On Sun, 20 Jun, 2021, 11:44 am J.M. Garg, <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2022, 6:04:58 AM9/3/22
to efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, GurcharanSingh, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Taking it as Vincetoxicum kenouriense (Wight) Wight, Icon. Pl. Ind. Orient., pl. 1614. 1850 (syn: Cynanchum kenouriense Wight, Contr. Bot. India 58. 1834.) as per Taxonomy of Vincetoxicum s.str. (Asclepiadoideae, Apocynaceae) from southern Asia including three new species and resurrected names-  Sayed Afzal Shah, Amir Sultan, Jun Wen, Zahid Ullah, Surat Un Nisa, Zhumei Ren, Muhammad Maqsood Alam, Javed Iqbal, Abdul Samad Mumtaz - June 2021PhytoKeys 179(1):35-73
It states "Corolla tube ca. 1 mm long, lobes oblong with obtuse apices, 3–3.5 × 1–2 mm, glabrous within or sparse caducous trichomes present"
Thanks to the authors for solving the puzzle.

Screenshot_2021-05-16-14-55-22-338_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2021-05-16-14-55-19-552_com.miui.gallery.jpg
Screenshot_2021-05-16-14-55-10-812_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2022, 7:34:13 AM9/3/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Both are reported from Kashmir
V. hirundinaria: Corolla lobes glabrous within
We see hairy here, which should be V. glaucum (Wall.) Rech.f. Flora of Pakistan treats it as synonym of V. canescens which according to POWO is a distinct species Native to East Aegean Is., Lebanon-Syria, Turkey
V. glaucum according to POWO has distribution in  Afghanistan, China South-Central, East Himalaya, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan, Tibet, West Himalaya.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2022, 7:37:41 AM9/3/22
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Hi, Singh ji,
Pl. see 2021 publication:
 Taxonomy of Vincetoxicum s.str. (Asclepiadoideae, Apocynaceae) from southern Asia including three new species and resurrected names-  Sayed Afzal Shah, Amir Sultan, Jun Wen, Zahid Ullah, Surat Un Nisa, Zhumei Ren, Muhammad Maqsood Alam, Javed Iqbal, Abdul Samad Mumtaz - June 2021PhytoKeys 179(1):35-73
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2022, 7:51:03 AM9/3/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Yes Garg ji, I saw your paper just now, which supports my conclusion of the above plant being V. glaucum, as according to the above paper and POWO V. canescens does not occur in our area.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2022, 8:06:28 AM9/3/22
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Hi, Singh ji,
Pl. check the floral images at page 57 of the publication.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2022, 8:43:35 AM9/3/22
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Thanks Garg ji
The paper cites my specimen from Harwan Kashmir (my Ph.D. research area) G. Singh 833 under V. kenouriense.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2022, 8:44:34 AM9/3/22
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
So you agree for V. kenouriense?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2022, 8:51:11 AM9/3/22
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
Further analysing detailed description:

Vincetoxicum glaucum (Wall. ex Wight) Rech. f.

 Vincetoxicum kenouriense (Wight) Wight

Undershrubs, up to 40 cm tall. Stem striate, pubescent all around, internodes 1–6.8 cm long. Leaves petiolate; petioles 3–11 mm long, pubescent all around; lamina different shaped: narrowly ovate, oblong-ovate, elliptic ovate, lanceolate-ovate, 4–9.2 × 1.3–3.8 cm; margins smooth; apex acute to obtuse or sometimes mucronulate; base round or cuneate; veins visible on both surfaces, secondary veins 8–12 on each side of midvein; adaxial surface sub-glabrous, adaxial veins densely pubescent; abaxial surface glabrous to sub-glabrous, abaxial veins especially midrib pubescent; margins pubescent.

Inflorescences sessile; bracts linear, ciliate; sepals tapering to acute apices, 1.5 mm long with ciliate margins; pedicels 1–3 mm long, pubescent; calycine colleters 5, exceeding the corolla tube in length; corolla green, not twisted, corolla tube 1 mm long, lobes tapering to pointed apex, 2 × 1 mm, bearded within; corona lobes longer than broad, 1 × 0.8 mm, exceeding the length of the gynostegium, base narrow, apex broad, toothed, divergent; staminal appendages obtuse; pollinaria deeply embedded in the gynostegium. Follicles and seeds not seen.

 Undershrubs, up to 1 m tall. Stem pubescent all around or along 2 dense lines, inter-nodes 2–13 cm long. Leaves opposite; petioles 1–10 (–14) mm long, equally pubescent all around or sometimes denser along adaxial channel, lamina strongly discolorous, narrow to broadly ovate, 4–10 × 1.8–6.5 cm; apex narrowly acute to very shortly acuminate; base round to sub-cordate to sub-truncate; venation including tertiary and quaternary veins prominent, more prominent and raised on abaxial surface, secondary veins up to 14 on each side of midvein, trichomes absent on both surfaces, sometimes sparsely present on tertiary and quaternary veins, midrib and secondary veins densely pubescent on both surfaces, margins pubescent.
Inflorescences mostly sessile, rarely both sessile and short-pedunculate inflorescences present on the same plant, peduncles up to 1.5 cm; bracts linear, up to 2 mm long, pubescent; pedicels 2–8 (–10) mm long, pubescent all
around, sometimes pubescent along one or two longitudinal lines. Flowers yellowish-green to green, 4–5 × 2–2.5 mm; sepals tapering to acute or narrowly acute apices, up to 2 mm long, margins sparsely ciliate, calycine colleters 5 or 10 per flower; corolla tube ca. 1 mm long, lobes oblong with obtuse apices, 3–3.5 × 1–2 mm, glabrous within or sparse caducous trichomes present; corona lobes long-triangular with acute apex, slightly divergent, ca. 1 × 0.8 mm, exceeding slightly the length of the gynostegium. Follicles fusiform, up to 7 × 1 cm, apex long-acuminate, surface glabrous, slightly striate. Seeds brown, 6–7 × 3–3.5 mm, wings less than 1 mm broad; coma 2–3 mm long.

Endemic to eastern Himalayas including India and
Nepal and occurring at an elevation of over 2000 m.
Herbarium label on W. Dudgeon & L.A. Kenoyer 56 (MO) indicates its habitat to be open grassy places.
Endemic to a long geographic range in the Hindukush Himalayas from Bhutan in the east to Pakistan in the west. The western limit of this spe-
cies is district Swat (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province), Pakistan. It occurs on higher eleva-
tions between 1500 and 3000 m.
The habitats of the species are commonly the Himalayan moist temperate forests (evergreen forests of conifers between 1500 to 3000 m elevations), rarely subalpine or open alpine lands (above 3000 m). We collected it from
open stony alpine slopes and stream side slopes in a V-shaped mountain valley. The as-ociated vegetation was either alpine herbs or conifers, and herbaceous to shrubby flora.

In view, I feel it is Vincetoxicum kenouriense (Wight) Wight only.
I have found Vincetoxicum glaucum (Wall. ex Wight) Rech. f. also in our observations, the post of which I will send to you, along with to others.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2022, 9:11:45 AM9/3/22
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, saadiks...@gmail.com, Ashwini Bhatia, D.S Rawat, Saroj Kasaju, Nidhan Singh, Prashant awale
I checked all our observations.
They all appear to be Vincetoxicum kenouriense (Wight) Wight only.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg