Hooghly Today : Gazania ?

surajit koley

Feb 23, 2013, 12:22:13 PM2/23/13
to efloraofindia
DSCN7222.jpg
DSCN7233.jpg
DSCN7234.jpg
DSCN7235.jpg
DSCN7239.jpg
DSCN7241.jpg
DSCN7242.jpg
DSCN7244.jpg
DSCN7245.jpg
DSCN7223.jpg
DSCN7224.jpg
DSCN7226.jpg
DSCN7227.jpg
DSCN7228.jpg
DSCN7230.jpg
DSCN7231.jpg
DSCN7232.jpg

Dr Santhosh Kumar

Feb 24, 2013, 11:10:49 AM2/24/13
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Gazania splendens! Very wonderful ground cover using all over the middle east for gardening purpose. It is a perennial plant with gorgeous flowers. We have many varieties in Riyadh, KSA

Santhosh

SANTHOSH
Dr. E.S. Santhosh Kumar MSc, PhD, FIAT, FLS
Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Palode
Thiruvananthapuram-695562
Kerala
India
www.drsanthosh.wetpaint.com
NB: Please consider your environmental responsibility! Ask yourself before printing this email !!!

surajit koley

Feb 24, 2013, 11:50:47 AM2/24/13
to Dr Santhosh Kumar, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir for the correct ID.

Regards,

surajit

Mani Nair

Feb 25, 2013, 11:27:33 PM2/25/13
to surajit koley, Dr Santhosh Kumar, efloraofindia
Very beautiful flowers Surajit ji.  This plant is also good for hanging pots.
Regards,
Mani

D.S Rawat

Feb 26, 2013, 1:57:49 AM2/26/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Gazania rigens (L.) Gaertn. (Asteraceae)

DSRawat Pantnagar

surajit koley

Feb 26, 2013, 10:44:55 AM2/26/13
to Mani Nair, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Mani Ji, they are very beautiful indeed. FoI hosts more spectacular ones - http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Gazania.html.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

Feb 26, 2013, 11:16:12 AM2/26/13
to D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sir,

It is Gazania rigens (G. splendens), not G. linearis, for the later should be yellow or orange only. Do not know other differences.

Regards,

surajit

Balkar Singh

Mar 3, 2013, 8:53:02 AM3/3/13
to surajit koley, D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
thanks for sharing beautiful shots Surajit ji
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Head, Deptt. of Botany and Biotechnology &
Horticulture Incharge
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

surajit koley

Mar 3, 2013, 11:31:31 AM3/3/13
to Balkar Singh, D.S Rawat, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Sir.

Regards,

surajit

surajit koley

May 22, 2013, 9:49:40 AM5/22/13
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Dr. Santhosh Kumar
Good evening Santhosh Sir and Rawat Sir,

Please provide the key(s) to identify a G. rigens from a G, linearis.

Thank you,

Regards,
surajit

surajit koley

May 30, 2013, 3:03:33 AM5/30/13
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, Dr. Santhosh Kumar
Sir,

Please have a relook at the plants in this thread, as per the key in - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/indiantreepix/6_Nef_VKkpA/cJKWtwfKQwgJ.

I'm attaching bigger pictures.

Thank you,

Regards,
surajit
DSCN7226x.jpg
DSCN7232x.jpg
DSCN7241x.jpg
DSCN7245x.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jun 6, 2013, 1:20:01 AM6/6/13
to efloraofindia, Dr. Santhosh Kumar, D.S Rawat, surajit koley, Dinesh Valke, Mani Nair, Tabish Qureshi, Hemant Bedekar, M Swamy, Promila Chaturvedi, Ushadi Micromini, ajinkya gadave, Ganesh M. Pradhan, Tassaduq Mueen, Gurcharan Singh, Shehla Gardenwalla, Aarti S. Khale

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix?hl=en.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2110 members & 1,56,000 messages on 31/5/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species).
DSCN7226x.jpg
DSCN7232x.jpg
DSCN7241x.jpg
DSCN7245x.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 12, 2021, 8:57:54 AM6/12/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Gazania rigens ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 12, 2021, 8:59:03 AM6/12/21
to indiantreepix, surajitkoley
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Gazania rigens ?
Group discussion at

Jun 12, 2021, 12:28:17 PM6/12/21
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sir,

You provided the difference between the two species of Gazania in the thread - https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/6_Nef_VKkpA/m/-I99ZI3SMFcJ.
One key point of Gazania ringens is presence of white spots at the base of ray florets (which is absent in G. linearis) - https://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weeds/data/media/Html/gazania_rigens.htm. These white spots are absent in my flowers.

Yet, I agree with Santosh ji and Rawat ji, it is G. ringens, because it is cultivated and involucre is similar to those at lucidcentral site.

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

Mahadeswara

Jun 12, 2021, 11:54:25 PM6/12/21
to efloraofindia
I had  grown a few here a few years back.

surajit koley

Jun 13, 2021, 1:35:54 AM6/13/21
to efloraofindia, Mahadeswara
Thank you, Sir ji, the lucidcentral site says hybrids of the two taxa, ringens and linearis are also thought to be present in naturalized population. I wonder if these ornamentals came from those hybrids!

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley