DV - 29MAY10 - 0131 :: Sri Ram's Arrow

Dinesh Valke

May 31, 2010, 5:39:35 AM5/31/10
to efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
ID please.

During my school days, this grass plant was a quite common site in our neighbourhood ...
in area with stagnant water or nallahs (sewage).
We called it "Ram Baan" ... literal meaning "Lord Ram's arrow", alluding to its medicinal value of healing wounds very quickly.

With overall progress of the cities and towns, such sights have minimised.
The plant being grass, not at all familiar with botanical aspects.

Date/Time
: May 29, 2010 at 1.31pm IST
Location Place : Kharpudi Budruk, Rajguru Nagar, Pune.

Altitude : 587 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : 18°49'3.90"N, 73°54'31.80"E

Habitat : wild
Type : near waste-water flows

Plant
Habit
: herb (grass)
Height : about 1 - 2 m
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: do not know
Shape : linear ?
Size : 1 - 2 m long

Inflorescence
Type
: panicle ?
Size : about 30 cm

Flowers
Size
: do not know
Colour : cream, off-white
Calyx : do not know
Bracts : do not know

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : of medicinal value

Regards.

P1170459.jpg
P1170463.jpg
P1170464.jpg
P1170466.jpg
P1170457.jpg

Vinay Das

May 31, 2010, 5:45:55 AM5/31/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
It looks like a Bulrush of some sorts - maybe one of these : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typha !

-vnd

P.S : Please don't mind my naive & ignorant answer, but I'm a complete newbie...

Dinesh Valke

May 31, 2010, 6:09:25 AM5/31/10
to Vinay Das, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Vinay ji, for the quick and precise response  ... the ID is almost there.
It could be Typha angustata ... http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Lesser%20Indian%20Reed%20Mace.html

Will wait for comments.

Regards.

mani nair

May 31, 2010, 6:23:39 AM5/31/10
to Dinesh Valke, Vinay Das, efloraofindia
During my chldhood days, we used to cut and color it  for showcase.

Regards,

Mani.

Madhuri Pejaver

May 31, 2010, 6:28:08 AM5/31/10
to Dinesh Valke, Vinay Das, efloraofindia
In Marathi called as Ramban. The cotton of it is used to withhold and then stop bleeding through a small wound. Has medicinal property.
used for decorations too. can be coloured and put in flower vessels
madhuri

May 31, 2010, 6:39:02 AM5/31/10
to efloraofindia
It is allergy causing plant and one specially children must keep distance with it. It is strictly recommended by allergy as well as weed experts to keep it far from human population. It is indeed a plant of medicinal value but pollens are curse.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/dp5j54g87080r51j/

http://pankajinprintmedia.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post_2104.html

Pankaj Oudhia

http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Gurcharan Singh

May 31, 2010, 7:11:31 AM5/31/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Not familiar with Typhya capensis but one difference is obvious. Typha anugustata has male and female portions of spike separated by a distinct narrow portion that is clearly visible in Dinesh ji's photographs. In the photographs of T. capensis there is no such narrowed collar. That for me identifies Dinesh ji's plant as T. angustata.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

promila chaturvedi

May 31, 2010, 7:39:16 AM5/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
As a young girl I tried to collect some of them. Since no body allowed me to enter the pond could not cut even a single rush.
Promila

Dinesh Valke

May 31, 2010, 8:40:02 AM5/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia, bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for the clarity with ID.
Regards.

tanay bose

May 31, 2010, 9:25:19 AM5/31/10
to bodhi-n...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Yes I too think Typha angustata it is used around Kolkata for sewage treatment better to an agent of phytoremediation.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

JM Garg

Jul 2, 2020, 2:32:06 AM7/2/20
to efloraofindia
P1170459.jpg
P1170463.jpg
P1170464.jpg
P1170466.jpg
P1170457.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 2, 2020, 2:36:33 AM7/2/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke

It may be Typha angustifolia L., if we go by distribution as below:
Typha angustifolia L. (Karnataka (Gulbarga and Coorg district), Kerala and Maharashtra as per Flora of Peninsular India)
Typha domingensis Pers. (Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka (Ballari, Kolar and Chamarajanagar Districts), Maharashtra (Akola district), Odisha and Tamil Nadu as per Flora of Peninsular India)

If there is different distribution in Flora of Maharashtra, pl. let us know.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,50,000 images are directly displayed on 31.1.20).

P1170459.jpg
P1170463.jpg
P1170464.jpg
P1170466.jpg
P1170457.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 4, 2020, 8:39:59 AM7/4/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg ji for resurfacing this post for ID validation.
Typha is common in Thane, Mumbai. However, the occurrence has drastically reduced due to reclamation of inland marsh and swamp area.
It must be occurring widely in Maharashtra..

One publication (PDF in Marathi) from the State Gazetteer Department that I use as a quick reference to know about distribution in Maharshtra is महाराष्ट्रातील वनस्पतीशास्त्र आणि वनसंपदा.
About Typha, there is only one species listed, distributed state-wide - Typha domingensis Pers. ... synonyms: Typha angustata Bory & Chaub. • Typha angustifolia Sibth. et. Sm. non L.

I will wait to know the conclusion of Typha spp. distribution in Maharashtra, and thus any resolution of ID in this post.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jul 4, 2020, 9:12:45 AM7/4/20
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Tabish
Hi, Dinesh ji,
You have to check the detailed characters with the publication, posted by Tabish ji.

Dinesh Valke

Jul 4, 2020, 10:31:40 AM7/4/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish
Thanks Garg ji and Tabish for the paper.
But it is difficult for me to assert the ID of my posted plant, because, at the least, I should have an aspect of leaf sheath to check. All other aspects illustrated are not available to check in my pictures.

Going through description:
...Flowering shoots 5–12 mm thick in middle and 2–3 mm thick near inflorescence. Inflorescence a long, cylindrical, compact, spike with staminate and pistillate flowers in separate aggregations, separated by 3 (0.6) – 8 (12) cm long interval of naked axis....

My posted plant compares well with the above portion of description, and thus could be most probably Typha angustifolia L.

Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jul 4, 2020, 12:56:45 PM7/4/20
to efloraofindia, Tabish, DineshValke
Hi, Dinesh ji,
Pl. check the leaf sheath.
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 5, 2020, 1:54:57 AM7/5/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish
Garg ji, unfortunately, I am not able to spot any leaf sheath in any of the posted images.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jul 5, 2020, 2:25:42 AM7/5/20