ASTERACEAE Fortnight Part 3-Ligulate Heads: Launaea acaulis for validation from Uttarakhand_DSR_14

D.S Rawat

Jul 10, 2013, 9:19:33 AM7/10/13
to efloraofindia

Launaea acaulis (Rocb.) Kerr is a spring annual in Pantnagar. Flower heads are borne on scapes devoid of leaves. Kindly validate the ID.

DSRawat Pantnagar

L.acaulisDSR_3.JPG
L.acaulis_DSR_2.JPG
L.acaulis_DSR_1.JPG

Mahadeswara

Jul 11, 2013, 7:27:45 AM7/11/13
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful postings.

J.M. Garg

Jul 18, 2013, 12:48:42 AM7/18/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, amit chauhan, meenakshi prajneshu, abesh sanyal, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, Sundaresan Velusamy, mandeep kaur, Dr Umeshkumar Tiwari, Prashant awale, Suniti Datta, D.S Rawat, ashishm...@gmail.com, pandeyh...@gmail.com, Dinesh Valke, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Kishanlal

Forwarding again for validation please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2135 members & 1,59,000 messages on 30/6/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 8500 species).
L.acaulisDSR_3.JPG
L.acaulis_DSR_2.JPG
L.acaulis_DSR_1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Jul 22, 2013, 4:03:30 AM7/22/13
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, Nidhan Singh, D.S Rawat, Aarti S. Khale, Dinesh Valke, sukla chanda, alk...@gmail.com, Tabish Qureshi, Dr. Pankaj Kumar, meenakshi prajneshu, Chiranjit Parmar, Alok Mahendroo, Tanay Bose, amit kumar, Kishanlal, Anil Thakur, vikran...@gmail.com, gurinder
Forwarding again for validation please.
No species in efi so far: Launaea

J.M. Garg

Mar 19, 2014, 11:32:32 PM3/19/14
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
Hi, Vijayasankar ji, Prashant ji & Girish ji,
Would you pl. confirm it or otherwise in view of your replies at another thread ?

Launaea acaulis (Rocb.) Kerr is a spring annual in Pantnagar. Flower heads are borne on scapes devoid of leaves. Kindly validate the ID.

DSRawat Pantnagar

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2265 members & 1,82,700 messages on 28/2/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9000 species & 1,80,000 images).

L.acaulisDSR_3.JPG
L.acaulis_DSR_2.JPG
L.acaulis_DSR_1.JPG

J.M. Garg

Mar 20, 2014, 1:30:06 AM3/20/14
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, M Swamy
Thanks, Mahadeswara ji.

Mar 20, 2014, 11:21:22 AM3/20/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
The posted pictures show some features of Launaea procumbens as per FoC. I am not sure of the ID, though.

However, study of roots, phyllaries, achenes and pappus should help confirm the ID.
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=117736

Regards

Vijayasankar
Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 17, 2021, 2:52:39 AM6/17/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 17, 2021, 2:53:27 AM6/17/21
to indiantreepix, D.S Rawat
Jun 18, 2021, 11:13:08 AM6/18/21
to efloraofindia
Outer phyllaries are unequal (of various size), I agree wit the id.

surajitno...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2021, 12:01:06 PM6/18/21
to efloraofindia
Sorry, missed the main point, it has more than 14 florets, it may not be L. acaulis (as per FoC, the species has 10-14 florets). I don't know yet what it can be.

surajit koley

Jun 19, 2021, 8:26:12 AM6/19/21
to efloraofindia
It is most probably Launaea nudicaulis (L.) Hook.f. - http://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:229036-1

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

D.S Rawat

Jun 19, 2021, 1:46:52 PM6/19/21
to efloraofindia
Thank you Suraji Ji. Launaea nudicaulis (L.) Hook.f. is certainly a better match. A minor concern here is of the glandular hair on outer phyllaries which are not mentioned in L. nudicaulis.
However, I am taking it as L. nudicaulis (L.) Hook.f.

DSRawat Pantnagar

surajit koley

Jun 20, 2021, 1:09:27 AM6/20/21
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat
Sir,

I thought, since those were spread unevenly and no hair was visible, those were some kind of pest, or mold (mould), if mould grows on living tissue, at that altitude or temperature!
If those are glands it would not be a minor concern, Sir, I am yet to come across (in literature) any Launaea, having phyllary glands.

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

J.M. Garg

Jun 26, 2021, 2:49:34 AM6/26/21
to efloraofindia, D.S Rawat, surajitkoley, GurcharanSingh
Thanks, Surajit ji and Rawat ji.
Question remains whether Launaea nudicaulis (L) Hook.f. is really reported from India as CoL does not give its distribution here and POWO skips Pakistan in between in the range.
At several threads like Asteraceae Fortnight part 3-Ligulate heads (plus Misc.): Launaea procumbens from Delhi-GS-24 at Launaea procumbens, it is referred as Launaea procumbens (Roxb.) Ramayya & Rajgopal, Kew Bull. 23: 465, 1969
syn: Launaea nudicaulis auct.

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAMV_mc2JNe2kzu07J1Vw8aWkvjnbnj4T4DVodQWu2xx2w9E%3DBQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Saroj Kasaju

Jun 26, 2021, 4:00:50 AM6/26/21
to efloraindia, D.S Rawat, surajitkoley, GurcharanSingh

J.M. Garg

Jul 3, 2021, 8:14:40 AM7/3/21
to GurcharanSingh, D.S Rawat, surajitkoley, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Hi, Singh ji,
May I request you to let us know if Launaea nudicaulis (L) Hook.f. is really reported from India or not. as per above discussions.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

Jul 3, 2021, 10:25:58 AM7/3/21
to J.M. Garg, GurcharanSingh, D.S Rawat, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Agreed, Sir, it does not occur in India, there is no record, except KEW site.