ID-DKB178

Devendra Bhardwaj

Aug 28, 2009, 11:38:03 PM8/28/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Plant from Virat nagar Forest Jaipur

For  ID(ID-DKB178)

It is Phyllanthus?

Photo Taken on-26.8.2009

Regd

Devendra

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.
ID-DKB178a.jpg
ID-DKB178b.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Aug 29, 2009, 12:56:44 AM8/29/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
devendra jee
this is
Phyllanthus amarus (भुईआवळी)
Family :- Phyllanthaceae

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2009, 3:23:31 AM8/29/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, indian...@googlegroups.com
Devender ji, I think Phyllanthus reticulatus

Gurcharan Singh

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi, Delhi
India
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Dinesh Valke

Aug 29, 2009, 6:08:42 AM8/29/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Gurcharan Singh, Devendra Bhardwaj
... Phyllanthus amarus

commonly known as: black catnip, carry me seed, child pick-a-back, gale of wind, gulf leaf flower, hurricane weed, shatterstone, stone breaker • Bengali: bhui amla • Hindi: bhui aonla, jar amla, jangli amli • Kannada: kirunelli, nelanelli • Marathi: भुईआवळी bhuiavali • Sanskrit: bahupatra, भूम्यामलकी bhumyaamalaki, jar amla, thamalaki • Tamil: கீழாநெல்லி keelanelli, கீழ்காய்நெல்லி kizkaynelli • Telugu: నేల ఉసిరి nela usiri

Regards.
1225059862_a5fc85a488_o.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2009, 7:52:06 AM8/29/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com, Devendra Bhardwaj
Dear Dinesh ji and Devendra ji

I thought the plant photographed by Devendra ji appeared to be shrubby, and fruits larger and black- hence my guess about reticulatus.

P. niruri Linn, P. amarus and P. fraternus are three distinct species, but Indian specimens don't belong to P. niruri rather P. fraternus. P. niruri thus is not synonym of P. amarus (not P. niruri Linn or P. niruri Hook.f.). P. fraternus has larger leaves and 6 perianth, male and female fls in different axils  (male in lower axils, female in our axils), and 6-10 lobed disc. P. amarus has smaller leaves (yours are larger than mine P. fraternus hence the doubt), perianth 5 and 5-lobed disc.

Dinesh Valke

Aug 29, 2009, 9:16:55 AM8/29/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Devendra Bhardwaj
Gurcharan ji, the leaves in the photo attached by me are about 12 - 15 mm long, and about 5 - 8 mm wide ... the fruits seen are about 2 - 3 mm.
I am believing it to be P. amarus, and also P. niruri as its synonym.

However, I am keen to know whether I am mistaking, especially because there is too much mix up of P. amarus, P. niruri, and P. fraternus on the internet ...though whatever is discussed seemingly contradict.

Any clarity for differentiating these three species will greatly help in thrashing confusion and mistakes on the internet.

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2009, 12:55:28 PM8/29/09
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com, Devendra Bhardwaj
Dear Dinesh ji

Phyllanthus fraternus (with P. niruri Hook.f. non Linn. as syn) and P. amarus are both described in Eflora of Pakistan. Latter is described in Eflora of China, who mention that it was formerly misidentified as P. niruri. Presence of 5 perianth (as against 6 in P. fraternus), each leaf axil (most middle) with one male and one female flower (female flowers single in leaf axils in P. fraternus), disc 5 lobed (as against 6-10 lobed) are quite characteristic of P. amarus. Leaves are described as 3-8 x 2-4.5 mm in Eflora of Pakistan, 3-6 x 1.5-3 mm in Flora of China. Your plant with larger leaves could be different species.
    P. fraternus grows around my house and I have observed it constantly.

Let us explore further

Dinesh Valke

Aug 29, 2009, 1:11:53 PM8/29/09
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Devendra Bhardwaj
Gurcharan ji ... thank you very much for pointing info of the species.
So is it correct that Devendra ji's plant is P. fraternus ?

Regards.

Devendra Bhardwaj

Aug 29, 2009, 8:50:00 PM8/29/09
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Gurcharan ji &Dinesh ji for correct ID.
Regd
Devendra

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 29, 2009, 11:52:43 PM8/29/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Devendra ji
I think your plant is still unidentified. It has two clear features of P. amarus: male and female fls in same axils (most middle ones), and the leaves are much larger and broader, and one more things which I notice, your plant seems to be distinctly pubescent, and of diiferent colour (than my plant of P. fraternus, or plant of Dinesh ji). I think we will explore further before confirmation. It could be P. rotundifolius (if cataphylls are present- note small appendages in my photograph showing upper view of P. fraternus) or else Maderaspatensis (if cataphylls are absent). To me Dinesh ji plant fits better with P. maderaspatensis, but I am not certain at present. Before we resolve let us look at the following things, if you can find fresh plants. (There is, however, one caution. The plants flowering these days (at least in P. fraternus) have smaller leaves than ones I photographed in May-June):

1. whether plant is herbaceous or woody
2. presence or absence of pubescence
3. colour of leaves (yours are light green, mine and Dinesh ji's dark green)
4. Chape of leaves (that can be judged from photgraph)
5. Size of leaves
6. Whether middle portion has only female flowers, or mixed male and female
7. Number of perianth (some call them sepals), 6 in two whorls or 5 in one whorl
8. Tip of perianth pointed or rounded
9. Size of perianth
10. Size, shape and colour of fruits
11. Number of lobes of disc
12. Length of pedicel of female flower and fruit

For me even Dinesh ji's plant may turn out to be different. It has much more rigid leaves, even the branches appear rigid, leaves dark green. We may have to look at cataphylls to decide finally.

Let us hope something interesting comes out

Tabish

Aug 30, 2009, 6:37:35 AM8/30/09
to indiantreepix
According to Kew World Checklist ( http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/home.do )
Phyllanthus amarus has the following synonyms:
Phyllanthus niruri var. amarus
Phyllanthus niruri var. scabrellus
Phyllanthus niruri var. baronianus
among others. Is supposed to be distributed (after introduction) in
parts of India.

Phyllanthus niruri's distribution in the Kew World Checklist does not
mention India.

Best wishes
- Tabish

On Aug 30, 8:52 am, "Gurcharan Singh" <sin...@sify.com> wrote:
> Dear Devendra ji
> I think your plant is still unidentified. It has two clear features of P. amarus: male and female fls in same axils (most middle ones), and the leaves are much larger and broader, and one more things which I notice, your plant seems to be distinctly pubescent, and of diiferent colour (than my plant of P. fraternus, or plant of Dinesh ji). I think we will explore further before confirmation. It could be P. rotundifolius (if cataphylls are present- note small appendages in my photograph showing upper view of P. fraternus) or else Maderaspatensis (if cataphylls are absent). To me Dinesh ji plant fits better with P. maderaspatensis, but I am not certain at present. Before we resolve let us look at the following things, if you can find fresh plants. (There is, however, one caution. The plants flowering these days (at least in P. fraternus) have smaller leaves than ones I photographed in May-June):
>
> 1. whether plant is herbaceous or woody
> 2. presence or absence of pubescence
> 3. colour of leaves (yours are light green, mine and Dinesh ji's dark green)
> 4. Chape of leaves (that can be judged from photgraph)
> 5. Size of leaves
> 6. Whether middle portion has only female flowers, or mixed male and female
> 7. Number of perianth (some call them sepals), 6 in two whorls or 5 in one whorl
> 8. Tip of perianth pointed or rounded
> 9. Size of perianth
> 10. Size, shape and colour of fruits
> 11. Number of lobes of disc
> 12. Length of pedicel of female flower and fruit
>
> For me even Dinesh ji's plant may turn out to be different. It has much more rigid leaves, even the branches appear rigid, leaves dark green. We may have to look at cataphylls to decide finally.
>
> Let us hope something interesting comes out
>
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Associate Professor
> SGTB Khalsa College
> University of Delhi, Delhi
> Indiahttp://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 30, 2009, 7:33:21 AM8/30/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
Tabish ji
I think I have not been able to explain things clearly. I never wrote that
P. niruri grows in India. P. ninuri was wrongly identified in Flora of
British India, and Indian specimens were subsequently identified as P.
fraternus (Maheshwari, Flora of Delhi; Eflora of Pakistan; Useful plants of
India, etc) and hence the synonym as P. niruri Hook.f. (non Linn.). It
occurs in India and Pakistan- now naturalised elsewhere (also see
BalaKrishnan-family Euphorbiaceae in India; Wealth of India). So no
confusion about P. fraternus and P. niruri.
Now coming to P. amarus is an american species now naturalised in
Tropical Old World, including India, China and Japan. The specimens were/are
sometimes confused with P. niruri/P. fraternus/P. urinaria but is easily
distinguished by smaller leaves, lateral veins usually 3 pairs, male and
female flowers in same axil, perianth (sepals) 5 in number and disc 5-lobed.
It has two subspecies in China ssp. amarus (annual plants, erect) and ssp.
sanyaensis (biennial or perennial, trailing or prostrate. Both P. fraternus
and P. urinaria have 6 perianth, leaves of former being glabrous, fruit
glabrous, that of latter hispidulus along margin and fruit tuberculate.
Both P. fraternus and P. amarus are illustrated in Eflora of Pakistan.

I think there should be no confusion between P fraternus and P. amarus.
Both occur in India.

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 28, 2021, 12:05:09 PM2/28/21
to efloraofindia

Forwarding again for ID
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 28, 2021, 12:05:50 PM2/28/21
to indiantreepix, Devendra Bhardwaj
Forwarding again for ID
Group discussion at

ID-DKB178a.jpg
ID-DKB178b.jpg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Feb 28, 2021, 12:11:13 PM2/28/21
to efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj
Phyllanthus debelis,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 02/28/21, 10:40:23 PM

Saroj Kasaju

Mar 2, 2021, 2:48:01 AM3/2/21
to efloraindia, Devendra Bhardwaj
Yes Paradesi Ji !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Mar 4, 2021, 3:11:39 AM3/4/21
to efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj, Saroj Kasaju, Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Phyllanthus debelis - from Paradesi ji

Yes Paradesi Ji !
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

With regards,
J.M.Garg
ID-DKB178a.jpg
ID-DKB178b.jpg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Mar 4, 2021, 4:47:38 PM3/4/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj, Saroj Kasaju, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
This is Phyllanthus airyshawii.
Best,
Tapas.

J.M. Garg

Mar 4, 2021, 8:44:24 PM3/4/21
to Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Devendra Bhardwaj, Saroj Kasaju, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thanks a lot, Tapas ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg