ID REQUEST- 170421AS02

Arjun Kindra

Apr 17, 2021, 5:45:29 AM4/17/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I came across this climber and would be grateful if I could get an ID for it. Description below with pictures.

Date/Time- 17/04/21

Location- Bhopal, 570 m

Habitat- Wild. Found in a rocky area, was found along with 3 other climbers, in part shade on a west facing slope.

Plant Habit- Climber. The stem is coated with a dusty residue, which clears on rubbing. It was mostly green in colour, where there was young stem. Older stems were yellowish. There were backward facing spines at each node for the leaf as well as the stem. Slightly reddish and white at the point.

Height/Length- About 4 m tall.

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size- Young leaf has a dusty texture, revealing a clean shiny leaf underneath on rubbing. Mature leaf did not have such a texture. The leaves had branching veins and a pointy apex. Thorns as stipules are present. The leaves were alternately arranged.

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- The unripe fruit was green and on cutting open had a white fleshy inside, much like a guava surrounding the seeds.

Thanks,

Arjun

IMG_4556.HEIC

IMG_4555.HEIC

IMG_4554.HEIC

IMG_4553.HEIC

IMG_4552.HEIC

IMG_4557.HEIC

IMG_4558.HEIC

vip...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2021, 11:59:08 AM4/17/21
to efloraofindia

This appears to be Capparis zeylanica L. [Capparaceae].

Best wishes, Viplav

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Apr 17, 2021, 12:05:46 PM4/17/21
to efloraofindia