ornamental grass :: Banasura Sagar Dam, Wayanad :: 15 NOV 19

Dinesh Valke

Dec 3, 2019, 12:46:58 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia
Banasura Sagar Dam, Wayanad
Banasura Sagar Dam  Wayanad
Date: November 15, 2019 ... Altitude: about 980 m (3,200 ft) asl

ornamental grass
Dear friends,
These pictures are taken just for sake of capturing the beauty of grass. Not requesting ID, because photos do not cover required aspects.
... ornamental grass

... ornamental grass

... ornamental grass

Regards.
Dinesh

ushadi

Dec 3, 2019, 5:38:23 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia
Beautiful scene, appreciate it

still i will take a stab at naming it?
one on  the left: the fluffy one
Muhlenbergia sp?

though can also be part of Pennistemum group.

I know you did not want id.  :)

Regards
Ushadi

Dinesh Valke

Dec 3, 2019, 5:51:27 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia
Thanks Usha di for the possible genera :)
I too thought of fountain grass ... but on internet came across so many of Pennisetum spp. and their cultivars, I thought is better to label it simply as "ornamental grass" !!
In such cases, perhaps recognizing works better than identifying.
Regards.
Dinesh

ushadi

Dec 3, 2019, 9:27:07 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia
i had run into a lot of ornamental grasses in southern california over the decades
but this year it was  everywhere
because of increasing use of xeriscaping plants for mass and color in roadsides and in avenue center dividers

and now the grasses are sprouting where they were never planted
they look very nice in slight breeze

Regards
Ushadi

J.M. Garg

Dec 3, 2019, 11:01:45 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Dinesh ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

J.M. Garg

Dec 3, 2019, 10:23:17 PM12/3/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks a lot, Manoj ji.

Dec 4, 2019, 12:30:55 AM12/4/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thank you ,Manoj Chandran ji
Regards

Ushadi

ushadi

Dec 4, 2019, 12:33:23 AM12/4/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
so my original spelling was incorrect

correct genus spelling is Pennisetum
species ided by Manoj is Pennisetum polystachyon

Ushadi

Dinesh Valke

Dec 4, 2019, 8:05:51 AM12/4/19
to efloraofindia, ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg
Thank you very much Garg ji for providing the IDs.
Many many thanks to Manoj ji for both the IDs.
Thanks Usha di.
Regards.
Dinesh