2015april_sk24/24 : Agave sp.

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2015, 9:23:17 AM4/15/15
to efloraofindia
Recorded in Oct, 2009.
DSCN6537.jpg
DSCN6539.jpg
DSCN6548.jpg
VSCN6598.jpg

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 15, 2015, 9:03:44 PM4/15/15
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
nice

did it die off after the flowering

what happened to the tall stalk...and seeds?

usha di

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 6:52 PM, surajit koley <surajitno...@gmail.com> wrote:
Recorded in Oct, 2009.

Usha di
===========

surajit koley

Apr 15, 2015, 9:59:32 PM4/15/15
to Ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
I do not know Didi if the plant is still there in that private garden.

Thank you
Regards
surajit

D.S Rawat

Apr 16, 2015, 2:56:47 AM4/16/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Agave die after producing large inflorescence which exhaust the energy of the plant. But before death a plant produce numerous bulbils in place of flowers which when fall on ground root out and grow as new plants.
DSRawat Pantnagar

surajitkoley

Apr 16, 2015, 1:15:58 PM4/16/15
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Rawat Sir, didn't know, sounds interesting.

Regards

surajit

Ushadi Micromini

Apr 16, 2015, 8:08:55 PM4/16/15
to D.S Rawat, efloraofindia
yes dr rawat

happens all over sw usa every few years

usha di

Usha di
===========

J.M. Garg

Apr 23, 2015, 1:08:06 AM4/23/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley, Ushadi Micromini

Some earlier relevant feedback:

Agave species in eFloraofindia (with details/ keys from published papers/ regional floras/ FRLHT/ FOI/ Biotik/ efloras/ books etc., where ever available)

Apr 27, 2015, 8:11:30 AM4/27/15
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
DSCN6537.jpg
DSCN6539.jpg
DSCN6548.jpg
VSCN6598.jpg

Pudji Widodo

Apr 27, 2015, 10:16:28 AM4/27/15
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, surajit koley
What about Agave americana?

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA
--
Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Universitas Jenderal Soedirman
PURWOKERTO 53122 INDONESIA

surajit koley

Apr 28, 2015, 12:56:33 PM4/28/15
to Pudji Widodo, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Pudji Ji.

Thanks Garg Sir.

Regards

surajit

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2021, 7:00:32 AM5/5/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Agave americana ?
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

May 5, 2021, 7:01:23 AM5/5/21
to indiantreepix, surajitkoley
Forwarding for ID
Distributed as Agave americana ?
Group discussion at

DSCN6537.jpg
DSCN6539.jpg
DSCN6548.jpg
VSCN6598.jpg

surajit koley

May 6, 2021, 10:17:44 AM5/6/21
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sir,

I think it is Agave cantula Roxb., presently A. vivipara L. - http://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:61868-1

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 10, 2021, 12:50:51 PM5/10/21
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh

With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 11, 2021, 1:59:16 AM5/11/21
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Thanks a lot, Sir ji, I didn't even bother to check when I wrote the only entry of Agave in "Bengal Plants"!
Explanation of " didn't even bother" -
  1. I made a lot of mistakes!
  2. I make a lot of mistakes!

Scientific Name

Agave angustifolia Haw.

Note: the Queensland Herbarium currently recognises this species by the name Agave vivipara L.

Clipboard01.jpg

and

  • Agave cantula Roxb.

This is a synonym of Agave vivipara L.
Clipboard02.jpg

To tell you the truth, is that, these days it makes no difference to me if any of my uploads turns out to be Xyz.abc instead of Abc.xyz, for I did, I do make a lot of mistakes all the time.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CA%2BiuSFCwUeU4gJzzvkwZfNuk167jpPOdM5RaiXvRQ_a0Be4mtQ%40mail.gmail.com.

J.M. Garg

May 11, 2021, 2:36:13 AM5/11/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley
Hi, Surajit ji,
You are an expert now in the way you analyse things.
Btw, I did not make any less mistakes than you.
It is always good.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 11, 2021, 2:40:41 AM5/11/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yes, Sir ji, agreed, mistakes are always good.
My previous mail was a self-realization only, never any sarcasm, I am onto something else now!
And thanks a lot  again for checking the Agave sp.

Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 16, 2021, 8:51:10 AM5/16/21
to surajit koley, efloraofindia
Here is the difference between the two as per The confusion of Agave vivipara L. and A. angustifolia Haw., two distinct taxa-
  • January 2003
  • Brittonia 55(1):82-87
:
Leaves broad or curved, fleshy. Plants moderately large, suckering, bulbiferous. Leaves green, transiently glaucous; spine acicular, involutely grooved; prickles rather close together. Flowers and seeds medium-sized. Native to the West Indies. (Viviparae) ...... A. vivipara
Leaves narrow, spreading, firm. Plants moderately large, suckering, bulbiferous. Leaves numerous, grayish; spine conical; prickles rather distant. Flowers and seeds large. Introduced (into the West Indies). (Sisalanae) ...... A. angustifolia
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 16, 2021, 9:17:03 AM5/16/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
OK, Sir ji, this is A. angustifolia, not A. vivipara.

life is short
time is running out
don't try to know everything
utilize what you already know

J.M. Garg

Jun 4, 2021, 12:33:58 PM6/4/21
to efloraofindia, surajitkoley
Identified by Surajit ji in another thread as Agave vera-cruz Mill.
Hi, Surajit ji,
May I request you to pl. have a look at our other posts, if you find any similar plant.

Jun 4, 2021, 1:18:51 PM6/4/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Sir ji, I am not fully satisfied with the id Agave vera-cruz, because the margina prickles should be "spreading or decurved, black or dark coloured", which is not in this case (as I mentioned in the other thread, you referred).
While in A. sisalana, marginal prickles, if present, are "weak, scattered and pale."
In A. angustifolia var. angustifolia, marginal prickles have interesting character!

So, I will only check if there is any better Agave vera-cruz specimen in our database.

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley

Haines_01.jpg
Haines_02.jpg
Haines_03.jpg

surajit koley

Jun 7, 2021, 10:57:42 AM6/7/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Sir ji, my earlier determination was wrong. After seeing all Agave uploads in our group, I think this species is also Agave sisalana, perhaps the commonest species next to angustifolia.
With a minor modification lucidcentral is the KEY -
  1. stout and conspicuous prickles = americanavera-cruz and cantula (vivipara)
  2. prickles relatively weak, but present and with special character (screenshot Haines_03) = angustifolia
  3. prickles absent or if present weak, not dark coloured, straight, intermittent or not = sisalana

Thank you
With regards
surajit koley