IBG today : Arecaceae : unknown11

surajit koley

Aug 23, 2014, 12:56:05 PM8/23/14
to efloraofindia
This has glaucous abaxial. The last pic is of an unknown small snail, I think.
P1110612.jpg
P1110613.jpg
P1110615.jpg
P1110617.jpg
P1110619.jpg
P1110620.jpg
P1110621.jpg

surajit koley

Aug 25, 2014, 2:05:03 PM8/25/14
to efloraofindia
It is not glaucous but silvery - Arenga engleri Becc.?

Thanks n regards

J.M. Garg

Sep 3, 2014, 7:38:00 AM9/3/14
to efloraofindia

Some earlier relevant feedback:

It is not glaucous but silvery - Arenga engleri Becc.?

Thanks n regards

Surajit

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2380 members & 1,96,000 messages on 31/7/14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 9500 species & 1,90,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

P1110612.jpg
P1110613.jpg
P1110615.jpg
P1110617.jpg
P1110619.jpg
P1110620.jpg
P1110621.jpg

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2014, 2:14:21 AM9/9/14
to efloraofindia, surajit koley

Some earlier relevant feedback:

It is not glaucous but silvery - Arenga engleri Becc.?

Thanks n regards

Surajit

At Bot. Gardens, Kolkata.

J.M. Garg

Sep 9, 2014, 4:32:34 AM9/9/14
to efloraofindia, surajit koley
Thanks a lot, Dr. John.
Sep 9, 2014, 12:30:41 PM9/9/14
to John Dransfield, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Sir. This palm is growing in the Calcutta Botanical Garden, presently known as Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden.

Regards

Surajit

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM, John Dransfield <J.Dran...@kew.org> wrote:

Without details of inflorescences/fruits this is not straightforward. If as you say cult in Kolkata then it could be any one of several Arenga spp

John

Sep 9, 2014, 12:33:10 PM9/9/14
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thank you very much Garg Sir.

Regards

Saroj Kumar Kasaju

Dec 12, 2020, 9:13:04 AM12/12/20
to efloraofindia
Arenga engleri Becc. ??  Since this sp. is planted there.

Thank you
Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Dec 12, 2020, 9:15:14 AM12/12/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, surajitkoley

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Dec 19, 2020, 2:21:53 AM12/19/20
to efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, surajitkoley
Thanks, Saroj ji.
But looks different from closeup details at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 28, 2021, 8:33:00 AM4/28/21
to efloraofindia
Forwarding for ID
Group discussion at

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 28, 2021, 8:33:51 AM4/28/21
to indiantreepix, surajitkoley
Apr 28, 2021, 10:32:27 AM4/28/21
to Gurcharan Singh, indiantreepix
Sir,

I accept it as Arenga sp. only, as suggested by Dr. Dransfield.

However, the garden does have Arenga engleri Becc. - https://bsi.gov.in/garden-page/en?rcu=140,38

Thank you.
Best regards,
Surajit Koley

J.M. Garg

May 2, 2021, 6:55:24 AM5/2/21
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, surajitkoley
Thanks, Surajit ji.
Does it matches ?

With regards,
J.M.Garg

surajit koley

May 2, 2021, 10:00:05 AM5/2/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Sir,
BSI developed a mobile app that can be downloaded from the playstore.
Arenga species listed in that app are -
  1. A. wightii -
  2. A. tremula
  3. A. australasica
  4. A. otusifolia
  5. A. pinnata
  6. A. undulatifolia
Surprisingly, Arenga engleri doesn't show up in that app search. One reason might be that this particular species is housed inside the "palm house".

I visited the site - palmpedia.net, to find if I could id this species out of those above listed six spp.
I think Arenga wightii comes closer to my species, but base of the pinnae looks different. And of-course the species also features in the group site.

at
looks similar to
my photo no. P1110619.jpg

Thank you.