MS, April, 2014/03 Colocasia sp. for id.

M Sawmliana

Apr 27, 2021, 11:09:46 AM4/27/21
to indiantreepix
Location : Lengpui, Mizoram
Habit : Herb
Habitat : Wild

With regards,
M.Sawmliana
Colocasia sp. (Zawng-bai-bing).JPG

M Sawmliana

Apr 28, 2021, 12:51:38 AM4/28/21
to indiantreepix
Colocasia fallax ?

J.M. Garg

May 3, 2021, 3:18:45 AM5/3/21
to efloraofindia, M Sawmliana

With regards,
J.M.Garg
Colocasia sp. (Zawng-bai-bing).JPG

Peter J MATTHEWS

May 3, 2021, 5:15:51 AM5/3/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, M Sawmliana
Dear Sawmliana ji,

This is clearly C. fallax in my view. The blade has a generally dark hue, and mostly rounded outline with distinct sinus.

The pale blush, and purple patches on blades (not in your photo, but seen by me in Meghalaya) are highly variable, within and between local populations.

My only experience of C. affinis is with the ornamental form, var. jenningsii, of unknown original provenance. That plant was much more tender or cold sensitive than C. fallax (which I had growing alongside C. affinis, in Australia and Japan, in 1987-1990). In Meghalaya, winter temperatures go down to 3-4 deg. C. apparently.

In places where you have seen C. affinis in Mizoram, would temperatures get that cold?

Best regards, Peter

From: M Sawmliana <msawm...@gmail.com<mailto:msawm...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 20:39
To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com<mailto:indian...@googlegroups.com>>