Diospyros for ID : 250511 : AK-3

Aarti S. Khale

May 25, 2011, 2:48:48 AM5/25/11
to efloraofindia
Taken at Jijamata Udyan, Mumbai, Maharashtra on the 9th & 15th of April, 2011.
A medium sized tree.
Sorry for the bad picture quality as flowers were high up on the tree.
Found a fallen fruit and flowers.
Aarti
DSCN1904.JPG
DSCN1903.JPG
P1130652.JPG

H S

May 25, 2011, 6:39:11 AM5/25/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
looks like Diospyros malabarica (syn. D. ebenum)
Ebony tree

There are 3 more species of Diospyros in Rani Baug..

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

H S

May 25, 2011, 7:23:11 AM5/25/11
to Dr. Shiddamallayya Mathapati, efloraofindia
Have u visited rani baug????

Gurcharan Singh

May 25, 2011, 7:51:39 AM5/25/11
to H S, Dr. Shiddamallayya Mathapati, efloraofindia
Aarti ji
Are flowers and fruits from the same tree as the third photograph with leaves and flowers?. The second photograph looks like that of D. malabarica (syn: peregrina) but leaves of third photograph look to be similar to D. montana (syn: D. cordifolia). The leaves of malabarica are mostly shining, much longer than broad. The flowers are ivory coloured and almost as long as broad in D. malabarica. The colour does resemble D. montana but I have never seen such a long corolla tube (comparing lobes) in any species of Diospyros. The calyx also looks different from both the species.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Aarti S. Khale

May 25, 2011, 10:20:07 AM5/25/11
to H S, efloraofindia
Thanks H S ji for the id.
I have pictures of two more species from same place,but seem to be
getting confused with the actual names & id.
One was posted by me much earlier....that fruit has a slight tapering end.
Regards,
Aarti

Aarti S. Khale

May 25, 2011, 10:33:30 AM5/25/11
to efloraofindia, sing...@gmail.com
Gurcharan ji,
Sorry to have missed out on your post as I checked my mail id
first....so saw your mail later on our group id.
The flowers on the tree were photographed on the 9th of April, when I
revisited a week later,found these flowers & fruit under the same
tree.
I think Prashant ji had posted the same earlier but I missed out on
the id.
Aarti

On May 25, 3:51 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aarti ji
> Are flowers and fruits from the same tree as the third photograph with
> leaves and flowers?. The second photograph looks like that of D. malabarica
> (syn: peregrina) but leaves of third photograph look to be similar to D.
> montana (syn: D. cordifolia). The leaves of malabarica are mostly shining,
> much longer than broad. The flowers are ivory coloured and almost as long as
> broad in D. malabarica. The colour does resemble D. montana but I have never
> seen such a long corolla tube (comparing lobes) in any species of Diospyros.
> The calyx also looks different from both the species.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Have u visited rani baug????
>
> > --
> >  - H.S.
>
> > A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of
> > stone- Hide quoted text -

J.M. Garg

Aug 31, 2011, 8:08:21 AM8/31/11
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, nitesh...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, rautn...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, abhi_...@hotmail.com, drhmp...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Aarti S. Khale, Prashant awale

Some earlier relevant feedback:

[...]

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1700 members & 79,000 messages on 31/8/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

DSCN1904.JPG
DSCN1903.JPG
P1130652.JPG

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 31, 2011, 2:30:09 PM8/31/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, rajde...@gmail.com, satishp...@gmail.com, swee...@gmail.com, nudra...@gmail.com, nitesh...@gmail.com, drneil...@yahoo.com, shubhada...@yahoo.co.in, rautn...@gmail.com, hems...@gmail.com, abhi_...@hotmail.com, drhmp...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Aarti S. Khale, Prashant awale
Most probably D. malabaricum of Ebenaceae family.
Please let me know whether the fruit has persistent calyx or not?

D. ebenum and D malabarica are not Synonyms they are different species.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

J.M. Garg

Nov 25, 2016, 11:35:34 PM11/25/16
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, Gurcharan Singh
To me it appears more closer to Diospyros melanoxylon Roxb.  as per images herein.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

DSCN1904.JPG
DSCN1903.JPG
P1130652.JPG

J.M. Garg

Nov 25, 2016, 11:55:01 PM11/25/16
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Aarti S. Khale
Sorry, It may be more closer to Diospyros ebenum J.König ex Retz. as per images herein
DSCN1904.JPG
DSCN1903.JPG
P1130652.JPG

J.M. Garg

Aug 9, 2021, 4:02:27 AM8/9/21
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale
This is Diospyros discolor as per images and details herein.

Aug 9, 2021, 4:34:26 AM8/9/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Thanks Garg Ji.
Regards,
Aarti

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Aug 9, 2021, 8:31:41 AM8/9/21
to indian...@googlegroups.com, J.M. Garg
Yes it's Diospyros discolor,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack
08/09/21, 06:00:28 PM

Aarti S. Khale

Aug 10, 2021, 4:20:06 AM8/10/21
to efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, J.M. Garg
Thanks for validating Paradesi Ji.
Regards,
Aarti

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "efloraofindia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/CAPTGuvGZfBDNmBr2AFa%2BmhqkL4CYHQV4AhwhSqnt%2BQkJtVfuNQ%40mail.gmail.com.