Revisiting upload of Cotula anthemoides from Kashmir: It is Matricaria matricaroides

Gurcharan Singh

May 11, 2012, 6:39:52 AM5/11/12
to efloraofindia
Dear friends

I had uploaded a weed from Kashmir identified as Cotula anthemoides, and incidentally it also appears on Flowers of India

While visiting Kashmir again I found another plant similar to this one, and on thorough scrutiny discovered that my above plant is not Cotula anthemoides, which has lighter coloured heads and broader and shorter leaf segments. My plant is in fact Matricaria matricarioides or pineapple weed. Please go through the following link:

Here are some details about the plant:

Matricaria matricarioides (Less.) Porter ex Britton, Mem. Torrey Bot. Club. 5: 341. 1894.
syn: Artemisia matricarioides Less., Linnaea 6: 210. 1831; Matricaria discoidea DC.

Common names: Pineapple weed, false chamomile, rayless chamomile

Erect or ascending annual herb emitting pineapple like smell when leaves are crushed; leaves alternate up to 5 cm long, 2-pinnatisect with linear up to 2 mm wide ultimate segments; heads discoid, 7-12 mm across, conical, greenish yellow; involucre bracts oblong with broad hyaline margin and obtuse apex; florets tubular, 5-lobed; achene with a white corona.

Common in Kashmir along roadsides and wastelands, leaves resembling Anthemis cotula. Photographed from Srinagar Kashmir. I am again uploading the plant with correction.

The other species Matricaria area I am uploading separately.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Singh

May 11, 2012, 9:00:49 PM5/11/12
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice Shot and Information Sir
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

ushadi Micromini

May 12, 2012, 8:41:13 AM5/12/12
to Balkar Singh, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
interesting shape of the "Seed" haeads
Usha di
--
Usha di
===========

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 6, 2022, 10:16:38 AM1/6/22
to ushadi Micromini, Balkar Singh, efloraofindia

Friends, thankfully we have now been able to resolve the controversy. Our plant is Matricaria discoidea DC. which is distinct from Matricaria matricarioides (Less.) Porter ex Britt., (treated as synonym of of Tanacetum bipinnatum subsp. bipinnatum) which is very different species as per POWO with depressed globose heads, phyllary margins brown and presence of ray florets as against oblong heads, phyllaries with white scarious margins and absence of ray florets.
Here is another good images of M. matricarioides

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Shakir Ahmad (Amateur Taxonomist)

Jan 6, 2022, 10:20:30 AM1/6/22
to efloraofindia, ushadi Micromini, Balkar Singh
Thank you sir