Re: Aal Morinda citrifolia and Kotpad Textiles

JANAKI TURAGA

Jul 7, 2013, 1:46:35 PM7/7/13
to treepix Indian
Hi all,
sometime ago I had written to the group asking for any information
regarding Aal-Morinda citriolia.
here is the link to my recent article in Hindu on Kotpad textiles
which use Aal roots for the red dye.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-sundaymagazine/border-crossing/article4890243.ece
comments and feedback welcome.
Kind Regards
Janaki Turaga

Vinay Thite

Dec 8, 2023, 12:27:02 PM12/8/23
to eFloraofIndia
In this communication Aal is referred as Morinda citrifolia. I feel experts should check the veracity of this.
AL is referred as Morinda coreia syn. Morinda tinctoria in the book FIELD GUIDE to the common trees of India by P. V. Bole and Yogini Vaghani.
The species name tinctoria suggests that dye is obtained from this tree. Kotpad Textiles use this dye.
The site related to Kotpad Textiles (https://artsandculture.google.com/story/the-colours-and-motifs-of-kotpad-textiles-dastkari-haat-samiti/dQUh981u4j6aIg?hl=en) also mentions erroneously  aal as Morinda citrifolia.
Kotpad Textiles.jpg
I have not come across any mention of Morinda citrifolia yielding a dye.
Awaiting more comments from experts on this subject.

Jaydip Gadhiya

Dec 10, 2023, 4:45:43 AM12/10/23
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite
Commonly Morinda coreia  (Synonym Morinda tinctoria) is used as a dye.
Morindone is used for the dyeing of cotton, silk and wool in shades of red, chocolate or purple. The colouring matter is found principally in the root bark and is collected when the plants reach four to six years of age.

Thanks and regards
Jaydip Gadhiya 🌿

J.M. Garg

Dec 10, 2023, 10:25:07 AM12/10/23
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite, JANAKI TURAGA
Thanks, Vinay ji
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

On Fri, 8 Dec, 2023, 22:57 Vinay Thite, <thi...@gmail.com> wrote:

J.M. Garg

Dec 10, 2023, 10:25:34 AM12/10/23
to efloraofindia, Vinay Thite, Jaydip Gadhiya, JANAKI TURAGA
Thanks, Jaydip ji

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg