VOF Week: Herb for Id from the Valley 2012

Nidhan Singh

Aug 27, 2012, 9:31:20 PM8/27/12
to indiantreepix
Dear All,

This one was shot from the main valley?...which Composite is
this...the plant was nearly half a meter in height....

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227
Composite for id (1).JPG
Composite for id (2).JPG
Composite for id (3).JPG
Composite for id (4).JPG
Composite for id (6).JPG

Nidhan Singh

Aug 31, 2012, 11:51:49 AM8/31/12
to indiantreepix
Requesting again for id...
Composite for id (1).JPG
Composite for id (2).JPG
Composite for id (3).JPG
Composite for id (4).JPG
Composite for id (6).JPG

Balkar Singh

Sep 1, 2012, 2:37:04 PM9/1/12
to Nidhan Singh, indiantreepix
May be Myriactis sp??

Requesting again for id...

Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Tabish

Sep 1, 2012, 3:41:32 PM9/1/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Too much close up of Aster albescens ?
  - Tabish

Tabish

Sep 2, 2012, 1:50:17 PM9/2/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
I think this is Erigeron alpinus.
Wonderful catch!
Nidhan ji, do you have a picture of the lower leaves?

  - Tabish

Prashant Awale

Sep 2, 2012, 1:58:54 PM9/2/12
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Sharing the photograph of same sp.
Regards
Prashant

--

Erigeron alpinus-1.JPG

Balkar Singh

Sep 2, 2012, 2:03:30 PM9/2/12
to Prashant Awale, Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
May be this pic of any help

--

Erigeron alpinus (3).JPG
Erigeron alpinus (6).JPG

Tabish

Sep 2, 2012, 2:44:11 PM9/2/12
to Balkar Singh, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
The leaves of Erigeron alpinus are supposed to be oblong to spoon-shaped. I think your plant agrees well with that.
   - Tabish
www.flowersofindia.net
The waterhole of flower lovers

Tabish

Sep 2, 2012, 2:47:23 PM9/2/12
to Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Wow Prashant,
  Look at the similarity of your picture with that taken by Girija:
 http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Alpine%20Fleabane.html
   - Tabish

Nidhan Singh

Sep 2, 2012, 10:03:59 PM9/2/12
to Tabish, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Tabish Ji for getting to ID....I have this picture of a
leaf...not the basal one though..
Erigeron alpinus.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 3, 2012, 1:56:04 AM9/3/12
to Nidhan Singh, Tabish, Prashant Awale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends
Erigeron alpinus, although described in some older Indian Floras, as understood now occurs in Europe, Africa and in Asia only in Caucasus.
Most Indian varieties in FBI are now treated differently, even the type variety as per Enumeration of Flowering Plants of Nepal:

Tabish

Sep 3, 2012, 3:41:58 AM9/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh, Tabish, Prashant Awale
Gurcharan ji,
  Fora of British India mentions Erigeron alpinus, and also many varieties. Frank Smythe, in his book, The Valley of Flowers, also report collecting Erigeron alpinus. However, I am aware of the fact that this will be some variety of Erigeron alpinus, although I have no clue which one. My casual opinion was Erigeron kumaunensis, without any good reason.
Any help on that will be appreciated.
   - Tabish

Tabish

Sep 3, 2012, 4:58:02 AM9/3/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh, Tabish, Prashant Awale
I am thinking Erigeron alpinus var. multicaulis - small flower-heads, not solitary...

   - Tabish

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 4, 2012, 1:49:40 PM9/4/12
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com, Nidhan Singh, Prashant Awale
Tabish ji
I have several shots of Erigeron multicaulis from Kashmir, it looks different with several heads. The above plant looks very different with large bracts surrounding and exceeding heads, something unusual.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Tabish

Sep 13, 2012, 1:17:01 AM9/13/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is a reply from Bernhard Dickore, the German botanist who identified Cotoneaster adpressus for us:
---------------------
Dear Tabish,

your plant is Myriactis wallichii (while there remain some problems in this genus as well). Erigeron is a horror in the Himalayas, numerous names for few species only, E. alpinus does not occur in the Himalayas at all.

Best regards,
Bernhard
----------------------
    Best wishes

    - Tabish

Nidhan Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 1:41:33 AM9/13/12
to Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tabish Ji for efforts and  Bernhard Dickore for identification help...should I take this as Myriactis wallichii, if our experts are convinced?

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 13, 2012, 1:53:57 AM9/13/12
to Nidhan Singh, Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
No question of this plant being Myriactis wallichii. I wonder how can we believe a species which has often been treated as synonym of M. nepalensis (differing just by shorter habit, smaller heads, linear ray florets, elliptic-lanceolate leaves) can be so different. The large foliaceous bracts outside the head are very distinctive as are longer involucre. We should be looking for a different genus.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 25, 2012, 2:19:55 AM9/25/12
to Nidhan Singh, Tabish, indian...@googlegroups.com
Large foliaceous bracts are characteristic of Brachyactis genus. I suggest Brachyactis robusta for above plant.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

J.M. Garg

Dec 19, 2013, 10:40:14 AM12/19/13
to efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi, Balkar Singh, Nidhan Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Kishanlal
Erigeron acris var. multicaule as per another thread.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world): http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 2200 members & 1,76,000 messages on 30/11/13) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 9000 species & 1,80, 000 images).
Composite for id (1).JPG
Composite for id (2).JPG
Composite for id (3).JPG
Composite for id (4).JPG
Composite for id (6).JPG

Nidhan Singh

Dec 19, 2013, 10:45:20 AM12/19/13
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi, Balkar Singh, Gurcharan Singh, Kishanlal
Thanks a lot Garg Ji..
Assistant Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Dec 20, 2013, 12:34:44 AM12/20/13
to Nidhan Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish Qureshi, Balkar Singh, Kishanlal
Not to get confused
The two are quite distinct.
Brachyactis is a very distinct genus from Erigeron with outer involucre bracts being foliaceous. Above plant is Brachyactis pubescens  (DC.) Aitch. & Clarke (syn: B. robusta Benth.)  is now known as  Neobrachyactis pubescens (DC) Brouillet, Fl. China. 20-21: 573. 2011.

Erigeron multicaulis is very distinct without foliaceous bracts. It is now known as Erigeron acer var. multicaulis (Wall. ex DC.) C. B. Clarke,  (Not acris which is a totally different species).

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 4, 2016, 2:43:34 AM6/4/16
to efloraofindia
ID of this plant is still elusive. Hope to resolve it.

Gurcharan

Gurcharan Singh

Jun 4, 2016, 2:46:23 AM6/4/16
to efloraofindia

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

J.M. Garg

Dec 4, 2018, 10:52:31 PM12/4/18
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Tabish, Prashant awale, shweta shekhar
Thanks, Shweta ji.

From: Nidhan Singh <nidhans...@gmail.com>
Date: 28 August 2012 07:01
To: indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>

With regards,
J.M.Garg

The whole world uses
my Image Resource of more than a thousand species & eight thousand images of Birds, Butterflies, Plants etc. (arranged alphabetically & place-wise). You can also use them for free as per Creative Commons license attached with each image.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2400 members & 2,00,000 messages on 9.9.14) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 10,000 species & 2,00,000 images). Winner of Wipro-NFS Sparrow Awards 2014 for efloraofindia

Dr.Shweta Shekhar
Astt. Professor
H.N.B.Govt Degree College
Naini, Allahabad
U.P.

J.M. Garg

Dec 4, 2018, 10:53:04 PM12/4/18
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Prashant awale, Tabish
Dec 26, 2018, 9:56:37 AM12/26/18
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Prashant awale, Tabish, shweta shekhar
Looks somewhat different from images at Duhaldea nervosa (Wall. ex DC.) Anderb.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

J.M. Garg

J.M. Garg

Dec 26, 2018, 8:01:05 PM12/26/18
to efloraofindia, shweta shekhar, Nidhan Singh
Thanks, Shweta ji.

Oct 18, 2019, 3:15:37 AM10/18/19
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Tabish, Balkar Arya
Can it be Brachyactis anomala (DC.) Kitam. as per High resolution specimen at GBIF ?
Flora of Bhutan gives the following details:
B. anomala ( DC.) Kitamura;
Stems 30 50cm. purple. finely pubescent. Basal leaves ovate; blade 2.5-6 * 2-4cm. obtuse. +/-  truncate at base. crenate. glabrescent; petiole4-10cm. Cauline leaves lanceolate with broad-winged petiole to panduriform. sessile. 3—8 >< 1- 2.5cm. acute or subobtuse. shortly decurrent at base. crenate to coarsely serrate. finely pubescent (mostly glandular} on both laces. lnvolucres c 4mm diameter at base; phyllaries linear-lanceolate. 6 8 >< l l.5min. mostly glandular pubescent. Ray flowers c 35- 40: corolla tubes 3.5mm; ligule white. later turning purplish. 3.5 >< 0.2-0.5mm. simple. deeply divided or irregularly 2-3-toothed. Disc flowers c 7-1-; corolla yellowish. 5-6 mm. Achenes 3 >< 1 mm; pappus brownish. inner series c 4.5mm. outer series usually c 1 mm.
Bhutan: C ~ Thimphu district (Pumo La): Darjeeling: Phalut. Singalila: Sikkim: Boktak. Ktlpup. Tsomgo etc. Open grassy slopes. 3050-4100m. August-October.

This one was shot from the main valley?...which Composite is
this...the plant was nearly half a meter in height....

Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany
I.B. (PG) College
Panipat-132103 Haryana
Ph.: 09416371227

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

Composite for id (1).JPG
Composite for id (2).JPG
Composite for id (3).JPG
Composite for id (4).JPG
Composite for id (6).JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 22, 2019, 8:28:53 AM10/22/19
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Tabish, Balkar Arya
Check out Myriactis wallichii- from Tabish ji in another thread.

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 22, 2019, 8:57:43 AM10/22/19
to efloraindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Tabish, Balkar Arya

J.M. Garg

Oct 23, 2019, 4:54:05 AM10/23/19
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, GurcharanSingh, Tabish, Balkar Arya, Saroj Kasaju
I do not think it matches with herbarium specimens at GBIF

J.M. Garg

Nov 22, 2019, 2:30:06 AM11/22/19
to efloraofindia, Nidhan Singh, Tabish, GurcharanSingh, Balkar Arya, Saroj Kasaju, Prashant awale
Composite for id (1).JPG
Composite for id (2).JPG
Composite for id (3).JPG
Composite for id (4).JPG