Bridelia retusa - armed trunk :: Nagla block of SGNP :: 21 DEC 19

Dinesh Valke

Jan 15, 2020, 7:39:29 AM1/15/20
to efloraofindia
... view from Nagla Block of SGNP
Nagla forest  ... part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Date: December 21, 2019 ... Altitude: sea level to about 600 ft asl
Bridelia retusa  (L.) A.Juss.
Trunk of young tree, armed with extra-long spines - perhaps to protect from foragers.

Bridelia retusa (L.) A.Juss.

Bridelia retusa (L.) A.Juss.

Regards.
Dinesh

dr.rakesh Singh

Jan 15, 2020, 7:41:18 AM1/15/20
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
This I have seen in Matheran . That time I had no idea about its identity .

Dinesh Valke

Jan 15, 2020, 7:52:14 AM1/15/20
to dr.rakesh Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Rakesh ji.
I saw it the first time in SGNP during field trip with BNHS team and our leader briefly explained about the tree to us, and that it is born armed as a matter of protection.
Regards.
Dinesh