For ID22102019RK3-please help in identifcation

Ridhima Kapoor

Oct 22, 2019, 7:56:22 AM10/22/19
to efloraofindia, Satabdi Barman
Dear all,

Please help in identification of this. It's a leafy vegetable consumed in Jharkhand.
Local name-Pakkedi ghasi
Date-13th May, 2018
Place-Village chewo, Godda, Jharkhand

Ridhima Kapoor
Research Assistant
Indigenous Foods Project (LN0509)
Indian Institute of Public Health-Delhi (IIPH-Delhi)
Public Health Foundation of India

Pakkedigaasi_Chewo_1.jpg
Pakkedigaasi_Chewo_2.jpg
Pakkedigaasi_Chewo_3.jpg
Pakkedigasi_Chewo_4.jpg
Pakkedigaasi_Chewo_5.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 22, 2019, 8:02:46 AM10/22/19
to efloraindia, Satabdi Barman
Ficus religiosa !

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

dr.rakesh Singh

Oct 22, 2019, 8:17:23 AM10/22/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Satabdi Barman
I didn't know tender leaves of F. religiosa are consumed as leafy veg .
On the other hand I do know leaf-buds of F. virens being used to make pickles and other things , in spring .
Posted tree and branclet is definitely F. religiosa , it being leafy vegetable is difficult to digest .
I shall enquire .

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 22, 2019, 9:04:26 AM10/22/19
to efloraindia, Satabdi Barman
It came as a surprise for me as well !
'Ficus religiosa Linn .  /    RHT66326 Tender leaves, buds Boiled, water squeezed out, then cooked as vegetable   Menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, blood dysentery, bleeding piles, haematuria, haemorrhages, laxative (Khare, 2007), colic, dysentery, (Kumari and Kumar, 2000)'

There are other links as well.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

dr.rakesh Singh

Oct 23, 2019, 1:08:14 AM10/23/19
to efloraofindia, Satabdi Barman
Thank you Sir , for bringing out this surprise in open !!

ushadi

Oct 23, 2019, 5:13:13 AM10/23/19
to efloraofindia, Satabdi Barman
yes
its full of tannins
helps stop bleeding
so it would be logical in case of gut luminal, mucosal bleeding

but in menorrhagia etc...? doubtful

thanks Saro ji for digging out the ref
Regards
Ushadi