buttress rooted tree FOR ID :: Pookode lake, Wayanad :: 13 NOV 19

Dinesh Valke

Dec 1, 2019, 4:06:28 AM12/1/19
to efloraofindia
Pookode Lake, Wayanad
Pookode Lake  Wayanad
Date: November 13, 2019 ... Altitude: about 770 m (2,530 ft) asl

... buttress rooted tree
Dear friends,
A massive tree, with whorled leaves, hopefully sufficient to recognize. The local folks said it is rudraksha tree, but I do not think so.
P1010676

P1010675

P1010677

Regards.
Dinesh

navendu page

Dec 1, 2019, 4:39:59 AM12/1/19
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Leaves are of Schefflera, the tree is probably some other species

Navendu

Dinesh Valke

Dec 1, 2019, 7:25:05 AM12/1/19
to navendu page, efloraofindia
Thank you very very much Navendu, for this clarity !!!
Regards.
Dinesh

dr.rakesh Singh

Dec 2, 2019, 10:32:11 AM12/2/19
to efloraofindia, navendu page
Trunk reminds me of Ficus drupacea I saw at Periyar Tiger Reserve . In Munnar I saw Scheflera species liana creating confusion as to which leaves were of the host tree !!!

Dinesh Valke

Dec 2, 2019, 10:38:57 AM12/2/19
to efloraofindia, navendu page
Thanks Rakesh ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

ushadi

Dec 3, 2019, 6:53:31 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia, navendu page
buttress could be many things
including
Pachira sp

Regards
Ushadi

Dinesh Valke

Dec 3, 2019, 7:05:02 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia, navendu page
yes, there are several possibilities, so avoiding labelling any name for the tree.
Regards.
Dinesh

ushadi

Dec 3, 2019, 9:23:19 AM12/3/19
to efloraofindia, navendu page
thats the best way
Regards
Ushadi

Abhilash Damodaran

Dec 3, 2019, 9:38:16 AM12/3/19
to treepix Indian
Buttress seems to be that of Tetrameles nudiflora which is quite common in Pookode region of Wayanad. The leaves seem to be of Schefflera, probably straggling on the giant tree.

Thank you

Abhilash Damodaran

Dec 3, 2019, 9:49:11 AM12/3/19
to treepix Indian
The tree could be very much Elaeocarpus tuberculatus. The white blotches on bark and the local name suggests so. The leaves seen might be Ficus sp. or Schefflera

Dinesh Valke

Dec 3, 2019, 1:10:54 PM12/3/19
to efloraofindia
Thanks very much Abhilash ji for the most possible ID.
The local folks had said the tree was rudraksha.
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 26, 2021, 12:43:56 AM4/26/21
to efloraofindia

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 26, 2021, 12:45:05 AM4/26/21
to indiantreepix, Dinesh Valke

J.M. Garg

May 1, 2021, 4:09:36 AM5/1/21
to efloraofindia, DineshValke
Appears close to images at S. capitata (Wight & Arn.) Harms as per Biotik.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

May 2, 2021, 2:16:14 AM5/2/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Many thanks Gurcharan ji for resurfacing this post for ID.
Thank you very much Garg ji for the most possible ID - Schefflera capitata for the whorl-leaved plant. However Schefflera capitata is a tree by habit as described in Biotik. Could it be some other species of Schefflera - which is vine by habit ? Because the buttress rooted tree is Rudraksha (Elaeocarpus sp.) as said by the local folks.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 8, 2021, 4:05:49 AM5/8/21
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
In that case it may be Schefflera stellata as per Biotik and GBIF specimens - one, two and three.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

May 8, 2021, 5:40:29 AM5/8/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh
Ok, thank you very much, Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

Mahadeswara

May 9, 2021, 1:25:05 AM5/9/21
to efloraofindia
I have also taken the photograph of this tree  during 2019 (October). I think I have also posted.

Mahadeswara

May 9, 2021, 1:25:07 AM5/9/21