names :: crocus stuff VS. crokars staff

Dinesh Valke

May 14, 2019, 6:13:22 AM5/14/19
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
It is interesting to note that two names in English for Achyranthes aspera L. ... crocus stuff and crokars staff - both sound somewhat similar when spoken.
Could both of them be valid names for this plant? OR has one of them have just happened to become popular, out of sheer laxity to know about its relation to the plant.

While both "stuff" and "staff" could be part of a plant's name, Crocus and Crokar in context of Achyranthes becomes intriguing.
Crocus is a genus belonging to Iridaceae (iris family), and Crocus sativus is known for the world-famous spice - saffron.
Thus, if there is any stuff about A. aspera having quality of crocus, it will be good to know that it is a valid name.

Crokar - I was not able to find any meaning or connection with Achyranthes aspera.

I hope someone helps in validating these names for Achyranthes aspera.

All said, both these names have no popularity in India compared to prickly chaff-flower.

Regards.
Dinesh

Saroj Kasaju

May 14, 2019, 6:16:24 AM5/14/19
to efloraindia
Net showing both names.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Dinesh Valke

May 14, 2019, 6:27:12 AM5/14/19
to efloraofindia
Yes, Saroj ji. Both names are found in almost all pages that discuss Achyranthes aspera.
They both sound similar when spoken - I have raised a doubt whether one of them is invalid.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2019, 10:13:39 AM5/26/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

J.M. Garg

Jun 4, 2019, 3:00:41 AM6/4/19