Acanthaceae Fortnight :: Rungia pectinata :: Tungareshwar WLS :: DVMAR95/106

Dinesh Valke

Mar 25, 2015, 9:58:13 AM3/25/15
to efloraofindia

Acanthaceae Fortnight
acanthus, or ruellia family
Rungia pectinata (L.) Nees
at Tungareshwar Wildlife Sanctuary on February 2, 2008

Rungia pectinata
Regards.
Dinesh

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 25, 2015, 11:25:20 AM3/25/15
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
thanks Dinesh ji

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

J.M. Garg

Jan 11, 2020, 12:53:32 AM1/11/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, dr.rakesh Singh
Taking it as Rungia parviflora var. muralis (Nees) C.B.Clarke with spikes very dense, barren bracts ovate acute hardly longer than the fertile, as per Flora of British India as per discussions in another thread at Sorting Rungia species

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

dr.rakesh Singh

Jan 14, 2020, 12:28:41 PM1/14/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Garg sir , This image is very representative of R. parviflora var. muralis . I have seen and recorded similar specimen in Matheran and Lonavala , but not in Surat . ( Occasional spikes are seen here with smaller sterile bracts , but in others they are bigger to much bigger sometimes . )
But there are some more creases to be ironed out .
In IBIS , there is this photograph of original page of Flora of British India uploaded ... and it was quite thrilling to me to see that page ! Keeping the descriptions on that page in mind we have 4 taxa . . . Rungia parviflora with usually terminal spikes , sterile bracts non-pointed and fertile bracts non-hairy , supposed to be rare ,, R. p. var. pectinata (=R.  pectinata ) with multiple axillary spikes , sterile bracts longer and with pointed tips , fertile bracts hairy ,, R. p. var. muralis with 'densely packed' spikes , sterile bracts pointed but not longer than fertiles --there is no mention of spikes axillary or terminal or both -- we presume both ,, and R. p. var. origanoides with linear leaves , narrower spikes and orbicular hairy sterile bracts , again not mentioned but we presume spikes are both axillary and terminal .
Now coming to nomenclature ,
Paper by J R I Wood ... Rungia transferred/merged to Justicia with some new names coined , and is followed by COL ...
COL 2019 doesn't show all Rungia transferred to Justicia . For the taxa we are concerned , it has to show . . .
Rungia muralis ex Nees is an accepted name , Rungia parviflora var. muralis (Nees) C B Clarke is synonym .
Justicia pectinata L. is accepted name , synonyms are Rungia pectinata (L.) Ness , Rungia parviflora var. pectinata (L.) C B Cl. , Rungia parviflora subsp. pectinata (L.) L H Cramer
Justicia parviflora Retz is the accepted name , notable synonyms are Rungia parviflora (Retz) Nees ,  Rungia origanoides Nees ( and by default Rungia parviflora var. origanoides in Flora of British India ) ,Rungia parviflora var. monticola Gamble.
Which names we are going to use ? is the question .

J.M. Garg

Jan 14, 2020, 10:19:01 PM1/14/20
to dr.rakesh Singh, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Thanks, Rakesh ji, for detailed analysis.
Dr. Wood has clarified earlier that he has not given names in Justicia, for many varieties, as there is lot of confusion and needs through revision.
So, in view, I will be keeping it as Justicia (Rungia) muralis for the time being in efi site.
Rungia origanoides Nees is given as a syn. of Justicia parviflora Retz in Catalogue of Life, so we will follow this only for the time being.

Dinesh Valke

Jan 14, 2020, 10:25:54 PM1/14/20
to J.M. Garg, dr.rakesh Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks very much Garg ji and Rakesh ji for correcting the ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

dr.rakesh Singh

Jan 15, 2020, 8:32:53 AM1/15/20
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Yessir , for time being , till a revision comes up . And there might be more varieties !