Canavalia gladiata :: Nagla block of SGNP :: 21 DEC 19

Dinesh Valke

Jan 15, 2020, 9:55:36 AM1/15/20
to efloraofindia
... view from Nagla Block of SGNP
Nagla forest  ... part of Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Date: December 21, 2019 ... Altitude: sea level to about 600 ft asl
Canavalia gladiata  (Savi) DC.

Canavalia gladiata (Savi) DC.

Canavalia gladiata (Savi) DC.

Canavalia gladiata (Savi) DC.

Canavalia gladiata (Savi) DC.

Regards.
Dinesh

dr.rakesh Singh

Jan 15, 2020, 12:52:53 PM1/15/20
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Fruit pod is not long enough ,
Your all ingredients are exactly similar to species found in Surat which is almost certainly Canavalia cathartica .
I am waiting for mature dry pods so that seeds and hilum measurements can be done , then I shall post .

Dinesh Valke

Jan 15, 2020, 1:25:55 PM1/15/20
to dr.rakesh Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Rakesh ji.
I am going with the knowledge that C. gladiata is known as common canavalia, though I am not sure whether it is termed common because it is cultivated. Do please validate in due course whether this is the wild C. cathartica. The posted pictures are of plant growing in vicinity of human habitat, so I have considered it as an escape.
Regards.
Dinesh

dr.rakesh Singh

Jan 15, 2020, 1:32:28 PM1/15/20
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
C. cathartica grows very commonly near human settlements on fences , thickets , bushes , walls .
C. gladiata  pod is said to be 30 to 50 cm long . C. ensiformis is less longer but still longer than C. cathartica , but thinner . C. rosea is smallest .

Dinesh Valke

Jan 15, 2020, 11:50:58 PM1/15/20
to dr.rakesh Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Rakesh ji,
C. cathartica grows wild, and I thought is found along banks of rivers, canals and backwaters ... Herbarium JCB.
C. gladiata, mostly cultivated in India, Herbarium JCB ... not able to know the dimensions of pod from the description.
Let me relook into my sightings of Canavalia ... will post them for validations in due course.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jan 23, 2020, 11:50:27 PM1/23/20
to efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh, DineshValke
Pl. check with the keys at Flora of China
Most of the species are reported in India as per details at Canavalia

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

Dinesh Valke

Jan 24, 2020, 8:22:34 AM1/24/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh
Thanks Garg ji.
Will check over the weekend.
Regards.
Dinesh

dr.rakesh Singh

Jan 24, 2020, 8:33:53 AM1/24/20
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia

Dinesh Valke

Jan 24, 2020, 8:44:44 AM1/24/20
to dr.rakesh Singh, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia
Sure Rakesh ji. Will check.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Jan 31, 2020, 7:08:12 AM1/31/20
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, dr.rakesh Singh

Dinesh Valke

Jan 31, 2020, 8:41:36 AM1/31/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh
Thanks Garg ji.
I must correct all instances of Canavalia gladiata in my collection at flickr to Canavalia cathartica.
Will do the corrections.
All of them were found in similar habitat.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Feb 7, 2020, 4:39:43 AM2/7/20
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh
I re-checked all the posts in efi on Canavalia.
I found most of them to be OK.
I think this post by Dinesh ji also appears to be closer to Canavalia gladiata (Jacq.) DC. (as per images and references herein) rather than those at Canavalia cathartica Thouars as the leaves appear to be acuminate rather than acute and pods also appears to be larger.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 7, 2020, 6:45:48 AM2/7/20
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh
Thanks Garg ji for re-validating this post.
I hope we get pods of all Canavalia spp. in our database for sake of comparison. They are definitely distinct.
Regards.
Dinesh