Ipomoea piurensis

dr.rakesh Singh

Oct 1, 2019, 12:56:20 AM10/1/19
to efloraofindia
Please take a look on this paper
New Ipomoea.pdf

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2019, 2:53:35 AM10/1/19
to efloraofindia
Thanks Rakesh ji for the paper.
Do we label our pics of Ipomoea piurensis as Ipomoea acanthocarpa ?

In context of closeness of Ipomoea laxiflora to Ipomoea triloba ... there is another close one - Ipomoea dichroa Choisy

Regards.
Dinesh

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 10:26 AM dr.rakesh Singh <dr.rake...@gmail.com> wrote:
Please take a look on this paper

dr.rakesh Singh

Oct 1, 2019, 4:33:59 AM10/1/19
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dinesh sir ,
Ipomoea piurensis and Ipomoea acanthocarpa are almost synonymous ......almost....  because my online search for this species came up with both names , former in Brazil , latter in Africa . I. acanthocarpa has been used as synonym to I. obscura .Unless someone revises the Genus and decides to keep one as name , other as synonym , it will be difficult to decide for me .
(Revision of Ipomoea is due now , two new species have been reported from South India , TN I think .....in Indian Flora ) .
I have difficulty accepting Ipomoea laxiflora.......it is Ipomoea triloba . I do not find much reference for Ipomoea laxiflora, only a single paper from Uttarakhand .
Ipomoea dichroa , previously Ipomoea arachnosperma has slightly bigger mauve flower , leaf is always cordate , unlobed .....and very hairy ....long stiff hairs all over the vine ......umcommon in Surat .

Dinesh Valke

Oct 1, 2019, 8:06:47 AM10/1/19
to efloraofindia
Thanks Rakesh ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Oct 7, 2019, 8:08:51 AM10/7/19
to efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh, DineshValke
Both of you are exactly on target.
WCSP, which is generally correct, mentions this as
Ipomoea acanthocarpa (Choisy) Hochst. ex Schweinf. & Asch., Beitr. Fl. Aethiop.: 277 (1867).
Syn:

I also got hold of the publication, where it is mentioned (Ipomoea (Convolvulaceae) in Bolivia (Abstract- An account of the genus Ipomoea L. in Bolivia is presented. 102 species are recognised in the country and each of these is described. Notes are provided on diagnostic features, distribution, habitat, phenology and conservation status. A dichotomous key to all species is provided together with additional informal keys focussing on outstanding features of morphology and ecology. Line drawings illustrate the new species described and photographs are provided to facilitate identification and draw attention to key diagnostic features. Maps of the distribution in Bolivia of selected species are also provided. ….)) as below:
26. Ipomoea acanthocarpa (Choisy) Aschers. & Schweinf. (Ascherson & Schweinfurth 1867: 277).
Calonyction acanthocarpum Choisy (1845: 346). Type: Sudan, Kordofan, T. Kotschy 269 (isotype K!).
Ipomoea piurensis O’Donell (1953: 382), synon. nov. Type: Peru, O. Haught 142 (holotype US!).

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).

dr.rakesh Singh

Oct 7, 2019, 9:35:17 AM10/7/19
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, DineshValke
Great news.....happy ending finally !!

I got first clue from here   https://fieldguides.fieldmuseum.org/guides/guide/1058?fbclid=IwAR222jawvlXGH5Efsmfkbh201wuya-Uc54ZMKBnu8ZGlRkUkMSbB0Nok16g .....it is flower no. 25 on page 2 of this pdf named Ipomoea piurensis .....search began
and I found not many online references , but I did found the name Ipomoea acanthocarpa .
Earlier I had accessed 'Ipomoea in Bolivia' while looking for Ipomoea rubriflora , but at that time I didn't know either of the names
and , this document doesn't have a color photo of the species , that way , being in possession of reference  , I missed it entirely !
Any way , the mystery is solved now !
( Though Ron is not convinced .......he still thinks it is a variation of Ipomoea sagittifolia , and he suggests cross pollination between two ......
now that is not my cup of tea . )
Thanks Garg sir for bringing Bolivian document in support !!!