Ranunculaceae Week: Clematis viticella from Kashmir and California

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2011, 4:46:31 AM5/4/11
to efloraofindia
Clematis viticella L., Sp. Pl. 543 1753.
syn: Anemone viticella K.Krause; Clematis baccata Gross

A woody climber with large beautiful blue flowers often grown on supports, walls or fences
Photographed from Hazuribagh Garden in Srinagar, Kashmir in June 2010
Also photographed from SFO Botanical Garden in California in July 2008

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Clematis-viticella-Kashmir-a.jpg
Clematis-viticella-Kashmir-b.jpg
Clematis viticella-California-1.jpg
Clematis viticella-California-2.jpg
Clematis viticella-California-3.jpg

tanay bose

May 4, 2011, 9:42:58 AM5/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Sir Ji,
Do this plant come in two different flower colour varieties?
Or this is the same plant .
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

May 4, 2011, 10:31:48 AM5/4/11
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Yes Tanay
This most popular cultivated species has number of cultivars like 'Alba', 'Purpurea', 'Violacea', 'Caerulea', 'Rubra', 'Kermesina', and what not. You may pick your colour.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 4, 2011, 10:55:27 AM5/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks Sir Ji
Tanay

mani nair

May 4, 2011, 10:58:43 AM5/4/11
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Awesome Catch Gurcharan ji,
Thanks for sharing photos.
Regards,
Mani.

Balkar Arya

May 4, 2011, 1:11:32 PM5/4/11
to mani nair, tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Lovely !!!
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

JM Garg

Oct 19, 2019, 9:28:44 AM10/19/19
to GurcharanSingh, efloraofindia
I think plant from Kashmir may be Clematis 'Jackmanii'  as per images, details and references herein.
Clematis-viticella-Kashmir-a.jpg
Clematis-viticella-Kashmir-b.jpg
Clematis viticella-California-1.jpg
Clematis viticella-California-2.jpg
Clematis viticella-California-3.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 19, 2019, 10:01:47 AM10/19/19
to JM Garg, efloraofindia
I hope you are right Garg ji, Looking at the confusion on various websites, I think it would be right to name it as C. x jackmanii (both GRIN and Kew database), TPL and Plants of the World Online list C. jackmanii, but even those websites which name it Clematis 'Jackmanii' (as you have suggested) accept it to be be interspecific hybrid.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

ushadi

Oct 19, 2019, 12:10:58 PM10/19/19
to efloraofindia, JM Garg
See pictures in this original book by  Jackman himself

Regards
Ushadi

J.M. Garg

Oct 20, 2019, 12:27:09 AM10/20/19
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thanks, Singh ji.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 3,000 members & 3,00,000 messages on 23.8.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 13,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which more than 2,00,000 images are directly displayed on 30.8.19).