Small tree Id requested

J.M. Garg

Apr 19, 2021, 1:33:40 PM4/19/21
to efloraofindia, pkdasr...@gmail.com

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kumar Prabhat Das <pkdasr...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr, 2021, 10:35 pm
Subject: Id requested
To: <jmg...@gmail.com>

Respected Sir
Herewith I am attaching the photographs of a species for identification
Habitat-Small tree, Flowers- green minute
From Ganjam, Odisha, India
IMG_0871.JPG
IMG_0869.JPG

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Apr 19, 2021, 9:51:23 PM4/19/21
to efloraofindia, pkdasr...@gmail.com
Euphorbiaceae member, some characters matching with Trewia,
Check with local flora Prabath Ji,
With regards.

Mailtrack Sender notified by
Mailtrack 04/20/21, 07:19:23 AM

J.M. Garg

Apr 24, 2021, 11:46:48 AM4/24/21
to efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Kumar Prabhat Das
Thanks, Paradesi ji.
I could not find a match as per comparative images at Mallotus
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Apr 24, 2021, 12:01:35 PM4/24/21
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Kumar Prabhat Das
Hi, this looks like Croton caudatua.
Regards,
Tapas.

Tapas Chakrabarty

Apr 24, 2021, 12:03:40 PM4/24/21
to Kumar Prabhat Das, J.M. Garg, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, efloraofindia
CROTON CAUDATUS
Sorry for typo.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2021, 21:31 Kumar Prabhat Das, <pkdasr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Prabhat kumar Das
Taxonomy and conservation division
Forest and Environment Dept.Govt (Odisha)

vip...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2021, 1:57:35 PM4/24/21
to efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, J.M. Garg, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Tapas Chakrabarty

Dear sirs,

This appears to be a very interesting plant. The leaves/petioles as well as the capsules of Croton caudatus are said to be densely hairy–hispid unlike the plant in this thread.

I think it is more in line with Alchornea mollis (Benth.) Müll.Arg.

Best wishes, Viplav

Tapas Chakrabarty

Apr 24, 2021, 3:55:25 PM4/24/21
to vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, J.M. Garg, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Dear Viplab ji and All,
Yes, I fully agree. This is Alchornea mollis. The range of distribution of the species is thus extended southwards to Odisha.
Regards,
Tapas.

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2021, 3:59:03 AM4/30/21
to Tapas Chakrabarty, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
I think it may be Alchornea tiliifolia (Benth.) Müll.Arg. as per images and details herein and as per keys in Flora of China, as the fruits appear to be tuberculate.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

vip...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2021, 9:24:37 AM4/30/21
to J.M. Garg, Tapas Chakrabarty, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu

I think you are right. The tuberculate capsules are indicative of Alchornea tiliifolia (Benth.) Müll.Arg.

There is an interesting post from 2016 in the archives which appears to be of Alchornea mollis (Benth.) Müll.Arg. Here is the link: https://groups.google.com/g/indiantreepix/c/ghqgqLhkuaM/m/KSfkckNmBAAJ

Best wishes, Viplav

Tapas Chakrabarty

Apr 30, 2021, 9:52:51 AM4/30/21
to vip...@gmail.com, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Garg ji,
Welcome. I am aware of all the 3 species of Alchornea in India. The dividing lines between A. mollis and A. tiliifolia are narrow. So, one needs to see the undersurface of the leaves for a conclusive decision. The present images are not showing the lower surface clearly. We are unable to know about the foliar glands and the nature of pubescence. Till then, the identity will remain doubtful.
Regards,
Tapas

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2021, 11:31:33 AM4/30/21
to Tapas Chakrabarty, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thanks, Tapas ji,
What do you think based on fruit character?

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty

Apr 30, 2021, 11:55:25 AM4/30/21
to J.M. Garg, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Well, here the fruits are subglobose and smooth, not tuberculate, unlike Alchornea tiliifolia.

vip...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2021, 12:40:04 PM4/30/21
to Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Dear sirs,

Attaching a cropped version of the second photograph in this thread. After Garg ji's observation, I zoomed into the image and was able to discern several protuberances on the surface of some of the capsules. Would these qualify as tubercles?

Best wishes, Viplav
IMG_0869_cropped.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 30, 2021, 12:42:53 PM4/30/21
to Tapas Chakrabarty, vip...@gmail.com, efloraofindia, Kumar Prabhat Das, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Flora of China says "Capsule subglobose, ca. 10 mm in diam., tomentulose" for Alchornea mollis Bentham ex Müller Argoviensis and
Capsule ellipsoid, 6-8 mm in diam., puberulent, tubercled for Alchornea tiliifolia (Bentham) Müller Argoviensis
I think it is Alchornea tiliifolia (Bentham) Müller Argoviensis only.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Tapas Chakrabarty