FOR VALIDATION :: Acalypha lanceolata :: Mumbai :: 27 AUG 08

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2019, 8:45:20 AM3/30/19
to efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, Nambiyath Balakrishnan, J.M. Garg

Mumbai
Date: August 27, 2008 ... Altitude: about 15 m (50 feet) asl

Acalypha lanceolata  Willd.
Dear friends, please help in validating this Acalypha to be A. lanceolata ... Tapas ji, your thoughts please, if these only photos help.
Acalypha lanceolata Willd.

Acalypha lanceolata Willd.

Acalypha lanceolata Willd.

Regards.
Dinesh

Nambiyath Balakrishnan

Mar 30, 2019, 11:53:46 AM3/30/19
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg
Dear All
This appears to be Acalypha ciliata Forssk. However you may compare with the description of the species given in Flora of India, vol. 23: page 94,
for confirmation.
N. P. Balakrishnan
30-03-2019

Dinesh Valke

Mar 30, 2019, 12:34:28 PM3/30/19
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty, J.M. Garg
Thanks a lot Balakrishnan ji. Will try to check Flora of India.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

Apr 17, 2019, 7:13:00 AM4/17/19
to Nambiyath Balakrishnan, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia, Tapas Chakrabarty
Thanks, Balakrishnan ji.
But Acalypha ciliata Forssk. looks much different as per images at

May I request you to kindly have a relook pl.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- more than 2975 members & 3,00,000 messages on 25.7.18) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 12,000 species & 3,00,000 images of which 1,00,000 are directly displayed).

dr.rakesh Singh

Apr 18, 2019, 8:45:00 AM4/18/19
to efloraofindia
Yes , A. lanceolata

Dinesh Valke

Apr 18, 2019, 12:15:09 PM4/18/19
to efloraofindia
Thank you very much Rakesh ji.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2019, 7:37:40 AM5/7/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, dr.rakesh Singh
On further checking in efi site and with inserted images by Rakesh ji, I fell it more close to images at Acalypha malabarica Müll.Arg., as I feel involucrum margin is gland tipped.
I request Dinesh ji to pl. check with the original images and post them if possible.

J.M. Garg

May 7, 2019, 8:35:19 AM5/7/19
to efloraofindia, DineshValke, dr.rakesh Singh
We have to check with the description of the bracts as below (both from India Biodiversity Portal):
All spikes axillary and sessile, short, up to 3 cm long, androgynous, finely pubescent. Male flowers ca 0.5 mm across, very few, clustered near the apex of spikes. Female flowers 2-2.5 mm across, 6-8 along the basal portion of the spike; bracts alternate, foliaceous, subcampanulate, funnel-shaped, folded, ca 5 mm across, shallowly toothed, bordered with long gland-tipped hairs along peripheral portion and margin, pilose, hairy or nearly glabrous, roughly coriaceous, gland-dotted, many-nerved.

Spikes axillary, erect, sessile or peduncled and androgynous, 1.5-8 cm long, nearly glabrous or finely pubescent. Three-fourth of the spikes is occupied by female bracts and the male flowers are clustered only at the one-fourth upper portion. Bracts number about 18-20, campanulate to subcampanulate or cup- shaped, folded, 3-4 mm across, crenate-dentate, shallowly dentate or conspicuously 9 to 12-toothed with acute teeth along margins, pubescent, strongly parallel-veined, and gland-dotted.

Keeping this in mind, I will also think it to be A. lanceolata only.

Dinesh Valke

May 7, 2019, 9:16:26 AM5/7/19
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dr.rakesh Singh
Thank you very much Garg ji.
Regards.
Dinesh